2025 Headliners

8 minutes ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

I quite enjoy some of Styles’ stuff and was with you all the way up to the Prince / Bowie comparisons. Time will tell but I think that’s a bridge beyond where his ceiling lies as an artist. 

I'm not a fan of his and maybe my comparisons are a bit over the top, but his fan base is massive, and he's interesting, fashionable, iconic. 

5 minutes ago, Dg_vic said:

Even glasto has precedent for not showing pyramid headliners live. Rolling Stones was not shown (and I don’t think ever shown) apart from a few songs. 

Eminem is not headlining glasto though so a moot point. 

That was up to the Stones though. They chose that.

9 minutes ago, OllieMadd said:

That was up to the Stones though. They chose that.

Same with Eminem and Reading tbf as detailed above. I think Blur did this as well in 2009, but it was then also released in full during lockdown.

Edited by charlierc

33 minutes ago, Dg_vic said:

Even glasto has precedent for not showing pyramid headliners live. Rolling Stones was not shown (and I don’t think ever shown) apart from a few songs. 

It's tricky, because we don't know what was in the agreement with the BBC at that time, or what was in the agreement with the acts, and/or whether or not the Stones negotiated an exception to that.

But we do know what's in the current (standard) agreement:

image.png.e59c58297acc649753e40f53b3e9c255.png

There's more than that, but that's the part I feel comfortable posting.

I guess the question for any headliner, including Eminem, would be:

- Is the act comfortable with that?

- If they're not, do the festival want them enough that they're prepared to negotiate an exception?

Edited by incident

1 hour ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

I quite enjoy some of Styles’ stuff and was with you all the way up to the Prince / Bowie comparisons. Time will tell but I think that’s a bridge beyond where his ceiling lies as an artist. 

Agree on this. Kudos to the guy, he seems really cool and down to earth, some catchy pop tunes and great stage presence... but comparing him to David Bowie and Prince is just... come on man 🤣 you're looking right to the top of the greatest artists in the history of music with stacks of world class, timeless and household songs that will live on for eternity. 

Fair enough re harry, i dont get it whatsoever but it would keep some people happy

has no history with the festival unlike dua but i suppose that doesnt especially matter

not as culturally interesting or relevant as chappell roan and olivia 

dont really get it but theres not many / any current or newer bands to fill the headline slots so solo pop acts will eventually take over

it would definitely be a real signifier of the festival moving from having been a countercultural event to well…. not

Edited by Memory Man

12 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

it would definitely be a real signifier of the festival moving from having been a countercultural event to well…. not

If you see that as an indicator that Glastonbury would be moving away from being a “countercultural event” then it happened many years ago.

But let’s be honest it’s had a “mainstream” side to it for a long time anyway and certainly been in the “mainstream” conscious for at least a couple of decades.

Fortunately it still retains a “counterculture” side 

Edited by Skip997

It’s arguable that the UK counterculture has had at least as big an effect on the development of the festival as the festival has had on the UK counterculture, if not bigger. 

Examples being the 80’s traveller scene and the late 80’s/early 90’s rave scene. Remember Michael Eavis was adamant that there would never be “dance music” at Glastonbury. The SE corner, Arcadia and Silver Hayes wouldn’t exist without the two.

• Upvote 1

I remember reading an article about the history of the festival and it said that 1992 was the key year that the dance crowd came to glastonbury en masse and at the time the traveller community and hippies were still very much the backbone, they accepted the ravers with open arms (and apparently open bags, as the MDMA was said to have been very well received) and from there on out they were as much a part of the fabric of the place as any of the old timers.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dg_vic said:

most of the set got aired on iplayer.

ya'll happy. Either Rihanna said no to Coachella or no to everyone. Time will tell.