2025 Headliners

3 minutes ago, AVALON.G said:

I mean google Rihanna to play Glastonbury 2023 tonnes of press articles linked her to it.  

Plus we know as a fact GnR were a replacement as Emily E confirmed it.

What's the Emily quote / source?  

I know that when roughbloke arrived and confirmed Elton and GnR he said the latter was due to Taylor pulling out (unfortunately that thread got lost in forum outage that happened late 23 so I can't find the exact post).

4 minutes ago, AVALON.G said:

I mean google Rihanna to play Glastonbury 2023 tonnes of press articles linked her to it.  

Plus we know as a fact GnR were a replacement as Emily E confirmed it.

Most, if not all, of those articles will be based on the one story. It's always the same with these "X to headline Glastonbury" tabloid rumours. One outlet will publish the story, then the others all do the same with an added "according to The Sun" or whoever it was first published it. It's not that they've all had separate pieces of info.

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

What's the Emily quote / source?  

I know that when roughbloke arrived and confirmed Elton and GnR he said the latter was due to Taylor pulling out (unfortunately that thread got lost in forum outage that happened late 23 so I can't find the exact post).

Lol I swear every time Rihanna comes up someone has to get this article 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/mar/03/arctic-monkeys-guns-n-roses-elton-john-all-male-glastonbury-headliners-a-pipeline-problem-says-emily-eavis

For bonus

https://metro.co.uk/2023/04/09/rihanna-pulled-out-of-glastonbury-2023-headline-slot-over-pregnancy-18580956/

If you're a global superstar and canny entrepreneur with any media savvy whatsoever, if you're asked in an interview if you'd like to play whatever festival, you're never going to say 'No, f**k that, load of stinking hippies and it pays peanuts'. Of course you're going to say you'd love to, it would be thrilling, you've heard a lot about it, always been your dream etc etc

1 minute ago, AVALON.G said:

Case in point. A Metro article quoting a Mail article quoting a "source".

I just don't think that she was the lined up act, probably just coping on my side because I've never heard a Rhianna song that didn't make me want to switch it off.

I see.  That explains the confusion, cos Emily says absolutely nothing about Rihanna in this article.

2 minutes ago, AVALON.G said:

Again, the timing doesn't stack up for this to be true.

I mean with never gonna get the absolute truth so sometimes we go with best fit.

I think I prefer the narrative of Rihanna pulling out for family reasons. 

Than Taylor pulling out then touring anyway feels like a bit of a FU to the festival if that's the truth. 

20 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

My hairline certainly has. 

Depressingly, mine hasn't.  Not because I've warded off the ravages of time, just that I looked middle aged in my 20s

Should also add that I bloody wish I was still in my 20s 13 years ago 😂

Edited by Quark

I mean with never gonna get the absolute truth so sometimes we go with best fit.

Than Taylor pulling out then touring anyway feels like a bit of a FU to the festival if that's the truth. 

I think the latter is closer to the truth.  And I wouldn't think it's a deliberate insult or anything to generate ill feeling.  The show that wound up touring just wasn't going to happen in any form on a festival stage.

I'd love Rihanna to do it.  I just don't really see it, particularly in light of the Coachella news - and anyone still thinking it's likely on the basis of some dodgy press from a couple of years back - that doesn't really hold water when scrutinised - is likely to be left high and dry.

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

There is. He could certainly headline other.

I think he could but I certainly think he's been lined up a bit more than a case of if said act says no. Without how quick he sold tickets and I would agree that getting him back for that tiny slummerville set would be a bit pointless because he was always at a point by then whereby he could headlined other....likely even when he subbed it.

26 minutes ago, AVALON.G said:

I fully believe Taylor didn't have due the obvious and then the person pulling out was Rihanna. I don't think Taylor has ever actually pulled out, just that due to beyond our control it didn't happen. With her next tour it then became clear it wasn't happening.

40 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I see.  That explains the confusion, cos Emily says absolutely nothing about Rihanna in this article.

Again, the timing doesn't stack up for this to be true.

Thing is, if you're querying Rihanna based on the timing (ie. she had a kid ~5 months before GnR became public knowledge, and GnR having replaced "someone"), then I'm not sure the timing case is all that much different for Taylor either.

The Eras Tour was announced on 1st November, and would have been taking shape for at least a few months prior to that - so it would have been clear she wasn't going to be available for most of the same 5 months, and she probably would have known she was heading in a different direction for a while before that.

For me the timing pretty comfortably works for both of them, just that the article saying "due to being pregnant" should say "due to being a new mother". Hell, it's quite possible / probable the festival asked about both of them at points in late 2021 / early-mid 2022.

Yes, but the 2020 booking and quote from Emily about being hopeful that they had her next time she was on the road still points to Taylor.  There's a preexisting relationship and dealmaking precedence there.  And it's also backed up by roughbloke.

I'm sure they have talked to Rihanna's folk at various points, but we have no indication at all of how far any talks have progressed.

27 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yes, but the 2020 booking and quote from Emily about being hopeful that they had her next time she was on the road still points to Taylor.  There's a preexisting relationship and dealmaking precedence there.  And it's also backed up by roughbloke.

I'm sure they have talked to Rihanna's folk at various points, but we have no indication at all of how far any talks 

Not at all sorry. 

The quote from Emily clearly implies it's someone who is  not on the road. Rather than someone who is actively touring or has plans to tour.

It's a stretch to apply this to Taylor

Edited by AVALON.G

8 minutes ago, AVALON.G said:

Not at all sorry. 

The quote from Emily clearly implies it's someone who is  not on the road. Rather than someone who is actively touring or has plans to tour.

It's a stretch to apply this to Taylor

"Changed their touring plans" could easily refer to an artist doing a tour that previously included festivals (Lover) and now doesn't (Eras).

46 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm sure they have talked to Rihanna's folk at various points, but we have no indication at all of how far any talks have progressed.

I think this is a more a case or when she is available next rather than simply just on the road. It's a very vague term. She announced a long long tour that would not incorporate Glastonbury in to it.