2025 Headliners

6 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Absolutely huge signing, no doubt about that. If they can pull it off, a huge coup

My feeling is that a lot of the people who leave on Sunday evening are, for the most part, going to probably leave whoever's headlining on a Sunday and I don't know how you encourage them to stay.

I mean, it baffles me anyway, like people who leave the football when there's still 10 minutes to go.

The number of people you describe there, while they do exist, is pretty tiny and not worth worrying about.

The problem this year was that multiples more than usual - anecdotal estimates would put it easily into the thousands, possibly tens of thousands - did so. Presumably many of those would have stayed for Rihanna.

7 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Absolutely huge signing, no doubt about that. If they can pull it off, a huge coup

My feeling is that a lot of the people who leave on Sunday evening are, for the most part, going to probably leave whoever's headlining on a Sunday and I don't know how you encourage them to stay.

I mean, it baffles me anyway, like people who leave the football when there's still 10 minutes to go.

It's not necessarily for me but...I get it. If you've been there from Wednesday, hit it hard for 4 nights on the bounce and had a decent albeit clean Sunday, then the prospect of avoiding all the sh*t involved in getting out on Monday morning and home in busy traffic seems pretty sweet. It's not like you won't have had your money's worth by that stage, even without a Sunday headliner.

I'd stay until headliner finishes, but I've definitely considered future prospect of clean Sunday and heading home.  

1 minute ago, Quark said:

It's not necessarily for me but...I get it. If you've been there from Wednesday, hit it hard for 4 nights on the bounce and had a decent albeit clean Sunday, then the prospect of avoiding all the sh*t involved in getting out on Monday morning and home in busy traffic seems pretty sweet. It's not like you won't have had your money's worth by that stage, even without a Sunday headliner.

I'd stay until headliner finishes, but I've definitely considered future prospect of clean Sunday and heading home.  

We wring the last dregs out of it … these days that’s 2am 🙂 was a mad number having left this year though considering the areas still open .The numbers of people that have to get back for jobs etc would remain fairly consistent and not like poor weather broke people 

Just now, Gnomicide said:

Isn't it more of a faff getting out Sunday night than early Monday morning?

It'll depend exactly when and how you're travelling.

Would imagine that driving out of the car parks, or getting a shuttle bus and London bound train at 7pm Sunday will be the easiest thing in the world - but both of those probably a lot more of a pain in the arse by midnight.

19 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Baffles me too. 

But this year was an outlier - I've never seen or heard of those numbers leaving on Sunday evening before. 

It defo didn't happen for Elton! 

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

It's not just about getting your moneys worth - you don't know when you'll be back again!  Especially since covid years, I don't take anything for granted.  Health, money, cancellations, ticket availability, it's going to be at least a year til you can come back and maybe longer. 

We were up Kings Meadow until almost midday this year as we didn't want to leave! 🙂 

2 minutes ago, incident said:

It'll depend exactly when and how you're travelling.

Would imagine that driving out of the car parks, or getting a shuttle bus and London bound train at 7pm Sunday will be the easiest thing in the world - but both of those probably a lot more of a pain in the arse by midnight.

I remember reading some reports and think you're right. People struggling to get out after Sunday headliners but probably easy before that.

10 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

We wring the last dregs out of it … these days that’s 2am 🙂 was a mad number having left this year though considering the areas still open .The numbers of people that have to get back for jobs etc would remain fairly consistent and not like poor weather broke people 

There's still another 3 hours of music left then! 

Edited by stuie

I'm firmly of the opinion that we're looking at:

• Rodrigo (reliable info, and always seemed likely anyway)
  • Fred Again (no real info, but I've been convinced pretty much since the last festival that he'll do it for a whole host of reasons. He's absolutely massive and at the height of the wave he's riding. It just seems a no brainer to me)
  • Third slot - dunno. I know Eminem was offered but, personally, I don't think he'll do it. The offer will probably be met by a raised eyebrow (he was paid seven figures to do Reading & Leeds). I also don't now much about his touring plans though, I don't really follow him. No idea who would take up the third slot right now, which I kind of like.
Edited by mufcok

I think some people are borderline terrified of getting stuck waiting for ages to get out of a car park the next morning so are desperate to get out.  Still does not make sense to me as the effort they have gone though getting a ticket and the fact they can not do it again for at least a year (2 next time). makes me think its a mistake on there part. Having to be patient in a car park is not the exact mega hardship they perhaps perceive it to be. 

5 hours ago, incident said:

Thing is, if you're querying Rihanna based on the timing (ie. she had a kid ~5 months before GnR became public knowledge, and GnR having replaced "someone"), then I'm not sure the timing case is all that much different for Taylor either.

The Eras Tour was announced on 1st November, and would have been taking shape for at least a few months prior to that - so it would have been clear she wasn't going to be available for most of the same 5 months, and she probably would have known she was heading in a different direction for a while before that.

For me the timing pretty comfortably works for both of them, just that the article saying "due to being pregnant" should say "due to being a new mother". Hell, it's quite possible / probable the festival asked about both of them at points in late 2021 / early-mid 2022.

She had another baby in summer of 2023 though right? By that she would have been pregnant in the autumn of 2022, and therefore it could potentially be true that she pulled out because she was pregnant. She would have been 8 months(ish) pregnant by the time the festival came around last year.

16 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

9 minutes ago, stuie said:

It's not just about getting your moneys worth - you don't know when you'll be back again!  Especially since covid years, I don't take anything for granted.  Health, money, cancellations, ticket availability, it's going to be at least a year til you can come back and maybe longer. 

We were up Kings Meadow until almost midday this year as we didn't want to leave! 🙂 

Absolutely get all this.  I suppose for me over the past few festivals I've been on an early coach home so Sunday night doesn;t tend to go on hugely late after the headliners finish.  Certainly not an all-nighter.

I've had so many nights (Sundays at Glastonbury included) where I've ended up trying to chase the last of the fun to ever-decreasing returns.

2 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

I think some people are borderline terrified of getting stuck waiting for ages to get out of a car park the next morning so are desperate to get out.  Still does not make sense to me as the effort they have gone though getting a ticket and the fact they can not do it again for at least a year (2 next time). makes me think its a mistake on there part. Having to be patient in a car park is not the exact mega hardship they perhaps perceive it to be. 

Not necessarily a hardship in itself (certainly a first world problem) but it's also a ballache.  A mate of mine summed it up quite well when talking about holidays: the journey there is all part of the fun, but once it's time to go home that's then just a chore to be completed.  As soon as it's done I'm head down and ready to go. 

Plus I never get the Tuesday off work, so if I'm not getting home until late afternoon / early evening then I've got no time to chill out and get myself feeling vaguely human again. By the time I'm showered, unpacked and generally straightened out it's time to eat and go to bed before hitting work the next morning.

Completely different scale obvs, but was off site at BDs this year just after 7am and was home before midday.  Made Tuesday so much easier.

Just now, RedJosh said:

She had another baby in summer of 2023 though right? By that she would have been pregnant in the autumn of 2022, and therefore it could potentially be true that she pulled out because she was pregnant. She would have been 8 months(ish) pregnant by the time the festival came around last year.

Obviously we don't know the specifics of the pregnancy, whether it was planned, etc.

What we can say, with a good degree of confidence:

GnR replaced *someone female*

GnR had been lined up by, at the latest, October 2022 - though could potentially have been earlier.

Child #1 was born in May 2022

Child #2 was born in August 2023, so likely conceived very late 2022 ie after GnR were already in play.

Still think the timing works for it as a reason for a possible change of mind - either relating to "new mum" stuff on Child #1, or if Child #2 was planned in advance of getting pregnant.

Its all well and good SZA being weak - but theres 4 other main stages + 50 others. If you can't find a headliner you want to see and didn't want to leave early then i don't have much pity.

People are more than welcome to leave early sunday - i completely get it, many people have limited annual leave / long distances to travel. Means the SEC is more manageable sunday night etc too

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Absolutely get all this.  I suppose for me over the past few festivals I've been on an early coach home so Sunday night doesn;t tend to go on hugely late after the headliners finish.  Certainly not an all-nighter.

I've had so many nights (Sundays at Glastonbury included) where I've ended up trying to chase the last of the fun to ever-decreasing returns.

Oh yeah an early coach is definitely limiting.  Some friends of ours had a 4:30am return coach this year and stayed at Arcadia to the end on Sunday then we laughed at them waddling off to go and pack their tents down.  That didn't look fun! 

This year, I worked Sunday evening shift so my Sunday night only started at 8pm- it turned out to be a great night though including my first ever visit to the Guerrilla Bar so can't complain! 

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

Its all well and good SZA being weak - but theres 4 other main stages + 50 others. If you can't find a headliner you want to see and didn't want to leave early then i don't have much pity.

People are more than welcome to leave early sunday - i completely get it, many people have limited annual leave / long distances to travel. Means the SEC is more manageable sunday night etc too

All of this... 

I was very surprised at the scale of the exodus - we had to change our lanes around on the gate to get people out quicker!

26 minutes ago, RedJosh said:

Genuine question - do you remember this stuff or have you looked it up?  I struggle to remember such things about family or people I know 🙂 

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

not enough leave/less time off school for kids/beat the traffic...

11 minutes ago, stuie said:

Genuine question - do you remember this stuff or have you looked it up?  I struggle to remember such things about family or people I know 🙂 

I remembered that she was pregnant at the Super Bowl, as there was a big thing about her being the first person to play it pregnant, so googled from there haha

Loads of folks leaving on Sunday is great, makes more room. Generally find Sunday the best day. 

I always battle on till the end and never leave until Tuesday at the earliest, think it may have been Saturday this year