2025 Headliners

2 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Didn’t actually notice it at all … maybe I was too busy enjoying the set 

I didn’t notice much at Glastonbury but it was very obvious at TRNSMT last year. He needs to wind that in, looks very small time.

Be surprised if Fender persisted with the black and white stuff.  It's one thing to have it at a home show but wont do him much good outside the area. Didnt look like he had any at Reading & Leeds - though only seen tv footage. 

Certainly no place at glastonbury for football tribalism.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

Found this too, though I guess it covers the same ground: Fleetwood Mac fans in frenzy after sudden flurry of band activity | The Independent

Part of me wonders if it might wind up just being more reissues. But given their twisted thorny history, who even knows what they're up to. Makes Oasis look calm and well behaved for crying out loud.

2 hours ago, Justcalledtosay said:

I can beat that. My wife bought me tickets for my birthday to his gig at St James' Park a few summers ago, just after they'd qualified for the Champions League. It was like being a Nazi rally..

I'm a Newcastle supporter (albeit one that grew up/lives down south) and am aware that many other Newcastle fans went gleefully overboard with that one, to the point where I genuinely think there was more of a pro-Newcastle celebration there than even that time when Leicester-born Kasabian played the Leicester City FC stadium to celebrate their unexpected Premier League title in 2016.

I also don't care ha. It's their party, why not go all out in celebrating crazily. Going forward, I assume the balance is that there'll be some Toon references but going truly Geordie squared at shows in Newcastle and not so much outside the NE postcode area.

... maybe.

34 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Be surprised if Fender persisted with the black and white stuff.  It's one thing to have it at a home show but wont do him much good outside the area. Didnt look like he had any at Reading & Leeds - though only seen tv footage. 

Certainly no place at glastonbury for football tribalism.

Half the blokes there wear football tops! 

Surprised with the lack of faith of Sam to deliver. 

Wait to hear his new single coming out Friday called ‘People Watching’, the hype for album that will follow and then trickles of big singles over next 6 months and him headlining will seem like an obvious act to do so. 

He sold out stadiums and Finsbury Park easily last year and this album looks to be bigger. He’s young, played the Pyramid before and was known as a highlight. Packed field. Writes his own songs, good bands of mates, massive voice to carry the turns across the field.

Not sure what else you want from a headliner? 😀

Edited by danbailey80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, danbailey80 said:

Wait to hear his new single coming out Friday called ‘People Watching’, the hype for album that will follow and then trickles of big singles over next 6 months and him headlining will seem like an obvious act to do so. 

He sold out stadiums and Finsbury Park easily last year and this album looks to be bigger. He’s young, played the Pyramid before and was known as a highlight. Packed field. Writes his own songs, good bands of mates, massive voice to carry the turns across the field.

And he passes the mum test, they bloody love him too!

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

Half the blokes there wear football tops! 

Or at least bring distinctive flags...

sam-fender-finsbury-park-crowd.jpg

A few friends of mine who went confirmed the black and white shirts were there to match.

Although curiously one of the few times I saw one in the wild was a man in front of me at Pulp in a vintage 90s Shearer 9 NCL top.

On 10/13/2024 at 1:22 PM, KriegerIndustrialSmoothing said:

Oh im sure the album has been done for years.   Its just not wanting to release it without the world tour to my limited Knowlege. 

Its not launched in London thats just when the Euro leg is - the whole world tour is only about 15 dates so its not massive.  But im sure New York and LA have shows before London though im not sure in what order -  Il see if I can find out and share something more concrete.

Hey do you have any more info on this???

17 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Has there ever been an act who has only played the festival twice, as a sub then as headliner?

Good trivia question! 

Is it Kings of Leon? I know they headlined in 2008 and think they subbed in 2004 but can't recall if they did one before that.

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

I'm a Newcastle supporter (albeit one that grew up/lives down south) and am aware that many other Newcastle fans went gleefully overboard with that one, to the point where I genuinely think there was more of a pro-Newcastle celebration there than even that time when Leicester-born Kasabian played the Leicester City FC stadium to celebrate their unexpected Premier League title in 2016.

I also don't care ha. It's their party, why not go all out in celebrating crazily. Going forward, I assume the balance is that there'll be some Toon references but going truly Geordie squared at shows in Newcastle and not so much outside the NE postcode area.

... maybe.

This was a Sam Fender gig that was seemingly hi-jacked by Geordies peacocking. My wife had no idea any of that was going to happen. It ruined the gig. 

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Is it Kings of Leon? I know they headlined in 2008 and think they subbed in 2004 but can't recall if they did one before that.

They were my first thought but they played the New Bands tent in 2003

12 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

They were my first thought but they played the New Bands tent in 2003

So they did. Similar trajectory to The Killers then - New Bands in 2004, Pyramid sub in 2005 (and actually offered headliner when Kylie had to cancel), Pyramid head in 2007.

Arctic Monkeys going straight in as a headliner and all 3 of their trips to the farm as an outright bill-topper might be one for the proper full-on mode, mind.

3 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

I haven't got no faith in him, but I also think that the new album has to have multiple very high quality and popular songs on to make it that different from last time, which was amazing. 

1 hour ago, Justcalledtosay said:

This was a Sam Fender gig that was seemingly hi-jacked by Geordies peacocking. My wife had no idea any of that was going to happen. It ruined the gig. 

Pure tosh. 

Fender is a bloke notorious for being a HUGE Newcastle fan, and was playing the stadium for the first time, literally weeks after the club qualified for the biggest club tournament in football.

Obviously it was going to be a celebrate of Newcastle United. Nobody hid that fact before either, all the posters had black + white/NUFC theme, it was announced with a football-heavy video on the club social media, flag displays were confirmed before the gig by Wor Flags (Newcastle fan group that does flag displays) etc. 

Nothing was "hi-jacked", I was there, 98% of people were onboard with it being more of a celebration of Newcastle Utd than just a Sam Fender gig. 

Sorry your wife didn't know ahead of time but if the gig was ruined that's really on you, not the 52K other people who had a class night. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, thatTFBguy said:

Pure tosh. 

Fender is a bloke notorious for being a HUGE Newcastle fan, and was playing the stadium for the first time, literally weeks after the club qualified for the biggest club tournament in football.

Obviously it was going to be a celebrate of Newcastle United. Nobody hid that fact before either, all the posters had black + white/NUFC theme, it was announced with a football-heavy video on the club social media, flag displays were confirmed before the gig by Wor Flags (Newcastle fan group that does flag displays) etc. 

Nothing was "hi-jacked", I was there, 98% of people were onboard with it being more of a celebration of Newcastle Utd than just a Sam Fender gig. 

Sorry your wife didn't know ahead of time but if the gig was ruined that's really on you, not the 52K other people who had a class night. 

This is also tosh though. No-one apart from Newcastle fans were there for it being a Newcastle thing. I expected the black and white because it was Sam at SJP, but I had completely forgotten about Newcastle being qualified for Champs League and saw no specific celebration of that either

30 minutes ago, Superscally said:

This is also tosh though. No-one apart from Newcastle fans were there for it being a Newcastle thing. I expected the black and white because it was Sam at SJP, but I had completely forgotten about Newcastle being qualified for Champs League and saw no specific celebration of that either

He literally walked on stage to the champions league anthem.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

I don't think he's going to headline it this year, more like 17. The only way I see it this year is if two of Fred, Stevie and Rihanna don't happen meaning a slot to fill but I don't see it.

59 minutes ago, Superscally said:

saw no specific celebration of that either

We're in danger of going round in circles, but this is tosh! He walked out to the CL anthem. 

59 minutes ago, Superscally said:

No-one apart from Newcastle fans were there for it being a Newcastle thing.

No-one but Newcastle fans and seemingly Sam Fender....

Also you say "no-one apart from Newcastle fans" like that was a vocal minority in the crowd. Based on toon tops alone, it was probably the majority. 

Edited by thatTFBguy

4 hours ago, nikkic said:

Has there ever been an act who has only played the festival twice, as a sub then as headliner?

Good trivia question! 

Nope. It's never happened so far as I can see. I was going to make a thread about this phenomenon - might still do. I can't find any example of an act that has either headlined Other or subbed the Pyramid and then subsequently gone on the the top slot. The other way has happened occasionally, but never upwards. It seems to be a cursed glass ceiling that artists would do well to be aware of if they have aspirations for that top line.