2025 Headliners

3 hours ago, Beaver89 said:

Nope. It's never happened so far as I can see. I was going to make a thread about this phenomenon - might still do. I can't find any example of an act that has either headlined Other or subbed the Pyramid and then subsequently gone on the the top slot. The other way has happened occasionally, but never upwards. It seems to be a cursed glass ceiling that artists would do well to be aware of if they have aspirations for that top line.

Bearing in mind on the Fender case, he was moved to sub due to a pull out. Had this not happened, this particular question would exist for him but this is also why I don't think that Chappell will get sub if she plays. Giving her 3rd down gives a decent recent to promote a good showing and bring her back quicker to bump up two spots.

1 hour ago, northernangel said:

Bearing in mind on the Fender case, he was moved to sub due to a pull out. Had this not happened, this particular question would exist for him but this is also why I don't think that Chappell will get sub if she plays. Giving her 3rd down gives a decent recent to promote a good showing and bring her back quicker to bump up two spots.

2005 The Killers subbed the pyramid and obviously went on to headline in future years. 

IMG_7788.jpeg

7 hours ago, parkerpenguin said:

He literally walked on stage to the champions league anthem.

7 hours ago, thatTFBguy said:

We're in danger of going round in circles, but this is tosh! He walked out to the CL anthem. 

No-one but Newcastle fans and seemingly Sam Fender....

Also you say "no-one apart from Newcastle fans" like that was a vocal minority in the crowd. Based on toon tops alone, it was probably the majority. 

Didn't notice the theme, because I wasn't bothered. I saw a band on Tuesday. Can't remember their walk on music either.

Also, home town hero playing at home surrounded by people from home. They weren't there to celebrate the Champions League. Weird that you think they were. It was merely an Easter egg... Do you think people went to Jamie Webster's biggest gig this year to celebrate Liverpool in the Champions League? 

Have a word.

2 hours ago, Dg_vic said:

2005 The Killers subbed the pyramid and obviously went on to headline in future years. 

IMG_7788.jpeg

I think @nikkic means only played the festival twice, not appeared at a smaller stage before subbing? Is that right, nikkic?

12 hours ago, nikkic said:

Has there ever been an act who has only played the festival twice, as a sub then as headliner?

Good trivia question! 

Kasabian is a bit of a weird one, subbed Pyramid twice, then headlined.

10 hours ago, thatTFBguy said:

Fender is a bloke notorious for being a HUGE Newcastle fan, and was playing the stadium for the first time, literally weeks after the club qualified for the biggest club tournament in football.

Whilst I would say the St James Park gig was a massive celebration of NUFC, everyone who used to go to the local gig scene up here as Fender was emerging knows he did not care about football/NUFC at all until it became convenient. The idea that he is notorious for being a "HUGE Newcastle fan" as you say is fully cultivated by his team because his success was definitely helped/fuelled by the resurgence of Newcastle when they got the Saudi money.

I must admit, I think he would be great as a Pyramid headliner, but much like a post a few pages back, I went to see him at the arena in Newcastle and it was just absolutely cult-like. Really spoiled the experience with 'Toon' chants in between and during just about every song. Every time I've seen him outside of the North East he's been much more enjoyable with limited Newcastle interaction.

Glastonbury, fortunately, is a bit further than Newcastle then.

Let's also be fair, any number of Geordies would also be outnumbered by the extraordinary numbers of Merseyside folk at the farm. Can't say I'd noticed it until this year, when somebody mentioned it on here before the weekend. Everywhere I turned, there was an accent from one end of the M62.

2 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Glastonbury, fortunately, is a bit further than Newcastle then.

Yeah, that's what I mean, and why I think most of the football tribalism at his gigs would be quite diluted and result in quite a decent headliner show. 

Even though I think there's better options Glasto missed the boat on over the years, I'll always be a fan of them championing home-grown guitar-based headliners.

Re. Fleetwood Mac - as much as they all hate each other, they are the most money hungry act going. Whereas I don't think they'll play Glastonbury, I think the fact that we're in the most money-grubbing era in live music history is more than enough for them to put their differences aside for an absolutely ungodly bag.

Edited by OllieMadd
Grammar
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ClementsMike said:

I think Fender would be a gift to the festival. A genuine stadium sized contemporary meat and potatoes guitar act allows them carte blanch to do what they want on the other nights. Oh, and he'd be very good too. 

He's still very new though and is 100% on the smaller side

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I just can't see Fender and Fred in the same year. Tbh if it seems like they can secure 3 other headliners of a good size I don't see why they would go for Fred at all.

Possibly all come down to a straight choice between Fred and Fend - and in that circumstances who's to say they won't just opt for Fred?

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Possibly all come down to a straight choice between Fred and Fend - and in that circumstances who's to say they won't just opt for Fred?

Yeah they could absolutely. I dunno why but I just can't picture Fred headlining the Pyramid even though I'm sure the rumours hold weight. It just seems left field compared to the genres they usually put up there. Sam Fender would be a more popular booking imo and 2025 seems a good time to get him as he is fresh into his 3rd album cycle after ripping the arse out of the last one. 

As you say though, depending on the 3rd headliner it might not even matter (if they have got someone big)

• Upvote 1

The more I think about it, I reckon Fred was signed for Pyramid 2025 pretty soon after his Other stage set.   Maybe it was the reason why he wanted to sub Other, not just for the sunset vibes as was stated at the time. 

I'm having the exact same issues with Sam Fender as I've had with Bruce Springsteen for the last 25 years or so.

I've got good mates, whose taste in music i really respect, who love them both. So i've tried, i really have, in listening to different albums or seeing live videos of em, trying to expose myself a bit and open up to whatever it is i'm missing, and they're both just so spectacularly standard and run of the mill i cant be arsed. Headliners for other people, absolutely not for me. 

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

I think @nikkic means only played the festival twice, not appeared at a smaller stage before subbing? Is that right, nikkic?

Kasabian is a bit of a weird one, subbed Pyramid twice, then headlined.

Yep that’s right. Only played twice and in the two biggest slots. Sub then headliner. 

1 hour ago, Justcalledtosay said:

My wife's not a football fan. She's a music fan. Why would it be naive?

...because if she's followed Sam Fender or been to any of his gigs, or saw the Glasto gig on the telly, then you see tons of Newcastle shirts. His sax player always wears one. It was at Newcastles football stadium. It's like going to an Oasis gig and not expecting bucket hats. 

Remember, naive isn't an insult.

12 minutes ago, stuie said:

The more I think about it, I reckon Fred was signed for Pyramid 2025 pretty soon after his Other stage set.   Maybe it was the reason why he wanted to sub Other, not just for the sunset vibes as was stated at the time. 

that would have been bold from the festival imo