2025 Headliners

14 hours ago, nikkic said:

Has there ever been an act who has only played the festival twice, as a sub then as headliner?

Good trivia question! 

Going back in the mists of time, Ian Dury subbed in 1984 and headlined the following year. Don’t think he appeared again 

36 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

that would have been bold from the festival imo

well, he pulled one of the biggest crowds Other has ever had and then sold 5 x Ally Pallys in a few minutes so it's not entirely unreasonable to think they might have felt bold! 

44 minutes ago, Superscally said:

...because if she's followed Sam Fender or been to any of his gigs, or saw the Glasto gig on the telly, then you see tons of Newcastle shirts. His sax player always wears one. It was at Newcastles football stadium. It's like going to an Oasis gig and not expecting bucket hats. 

Remember, naive isn't an insult.

I think there's a difference between a few shirts at a Glasto gig and what the gig at St James' park turned into.

56 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I'm having the exact same issues with Sam Fender as I've had with Bruce Springsteen for the last 25 years or so.

I've got good mates, whose taste in music i really respect, who love them both. So i've tried, i really have, in listening to different albums or seeing live videos of em, trying to expose myself a bit and open up to whatever it is i'm missing, and they're both just so spectacularly standard and run of the mill i cant be arsed. Headliners for other people, absolutely not for me. 

I'm in exactly the same boat, it's so by the numbers it just wafts by and leaves no trace.  See also:  The War on Drugs.

Maybe we should start a club....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Possibly all come down to a straight choice between Fred and Fend - and in that circumstances who's to say they won't just opt for Fred?

May have got Fred before Sam Fender even looked active / in consideration to be fair

36 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Going back in the mists of time, Ian Dury subbed in 1984 and headlined the following year. Don’t think he appeared again 

This is the type of knowledge I was looking for. 

Top darts. 

11 minutes ago, gfa said:

May have got Fred before Sam Fender even looked active / in consideration to be fair

They would have known in advance Sam's plans to an extent surely. Not as if Glasto will be waiting around for tours to be announced the same way punters are. Was also fairly likely he'd be back sooner rather than later. 

2 hours ago, balti-pie said:

I'm having the exact same issues with Sam Fender as I've had with Bruce Springsteen for the last 25 years or so.

I've got good mates, whose taste in music i really respect, who love them both. So i've tried, i really have, in listening to different albums or seeing live videos of em, trying to expose myself a bit and open up to whatever it is i'm missing, and they're both just so spectacularly standard and run of the mill i cant be arsed. Headliners for other people, absolutely not for me. 

Similar except I love Springsteen but, so far at least, I can't get on with Fender. Just feels like watered down Bruce.

1 hour ago, Justcalledtosay said:

I think there's a difference between a few shirts at a Glasto gig and what the gig at St James' park turned into.

I've never seen more Newcastle shirts and flags or allusion to a football team by a band ever that I did at Glasto and I've seen Oasis and Liam...

3 hours ago, 49Lawson said:

Whilst I would say the St James Park gig was a massive celebration of NUFC, everyone who used to go to the local gig scene up here as Fender was emerging knows he did not care about football/NUFC at all until it became convenient. The idea that he is notorious for being a "HUGE Newcastle fan" as you say is fully cultivated by his team because his success was definitely helped/fuelled by the resurgence of Newcastle when they got the Saudi money.

I must admit, I think he would be great as a Pyramid headliner, but much like a post a few pages back, I went to see him at the arena in Newcastle and it was just absolutely cult-like. Really spoiled the experience with 'Toon' chants in between and during just about every song. Every time I've seen him outside of the North East he's been much more enjoyable with limited Newcastle interaction.

I agree that Sam Fender + Newcastle United shitck is a bit much - i personally enjoy it but i can totally see why non Newcastle fans find it off putting - my argument was solely that the SJP gigs were an exception where the "cult-like" stuff was to be expected, and was actively welcomed pretty much from day dot. If you went to those gigs and didn't prepare for it to basically be a "Newcastle United Party w/ Sam Fender" that's on you, outside that specific gig, aye I understand the gripes. 

• Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Similar except I love Springsteen but, so far at least, I can't get on with Fender. Just feels like watered down Bruce.

Surely, watered down Bruce Springsteen = water?

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

They would have known in advance Sam's plans to an extent surely. Not as if Glasto will be waiting around for tours to be announced the same way punters are. Was also fairly likely he'd be back sooner rather than later. 

Indeed. He announced as part of stadium show in Newcastle the new album's rough release with option to buy signed copies etc. He said release now/ new year. If anything it's come a little early. 

This last year, would take minutes to find out Sam's plans for 2025. A follow call with management another few minutes. 

7 hours ago, Dg_vic said:

2005 The Killers subbed the pyramid and obviously went on to headline in future years. 

IMG_7788.jpeg

I regards to my now clearly erroneous assertion - good spot. Kasabian subbed twice too before headlining (I should have remembered that as watchign the first on TV made me want to go to Glasto and I was down the front for the second!). It is still rare though and I wonder if there is still something in it given the bump up is rare.

Just now, Wildglastotheo said:

Reading the debate about Stevie Wonder as HL vs Legend, Do you think Cher could fill a headliner slot? 

and is she ruled out after rumours spread earlier in the year?

No, and no.

She's not ruled out, just not especially ruled in other than that one article a while back which doesn't seem especially trustworthy. Although that's still more than we have for any other act at this point

• Upvote 1