Join our friendly community of music lovers and be part of the fun 😎

2025 Headliners

28 minutes ago, gfa said:

It was absolutely rammed but if you went straight there and didn't faff around it was fine.

We left straight away, got there and it was busy but fine (people sitting etc), went back to Hive for food then walked back with it and just about managed to get back into our mates who were near the disabled platform on the left side (facing stage).

It was clearly a mistake though regardless

I stood right side of the Pyramid for Shania and as soon as she went I didn't hang about. Strange thing was...NBT was on and I went back to my tent for 10 minutes or so first to fill up on drinks then headed down. 

My positions for both acts:

20240630_184112.jpg

20240630_155006.jpg

23 minutes ago, Talcroft said:

Charli, Chappelle and Sabrina for Primavera - they've gone full pop trend.

Certainly appears to be a shift in music policy, although some might argue that they've been edging closer to this every year, post-COVID. 

People still can't get their heads around the fact that festivals evolve. It's like they want to freeze time to suit their taste.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, foolee said:

People seem to be forgetting music is subjective in this thread 

Not only that, people want a bit of fun - nostalgia acts can be a bit sh*t but a lot of fun. 

4 hours ago, AVALON.G said:

Yeah, I would suggest that Download would have heard from MCR lawyers if they had been teased just to sell tickets. It seems obvious that they were intended to play at the time they were hinted. 

I think we have to assume they were in the frame to play last year and Greenday are in the frame for download this year. 

Sorry wasn't clear, MCR and Green Day had both agreed to play 2025, the post about the new Download Dog was made in June of this year and people assumed it was a hint that they were the secret band, but it was actually because Download thought they had them for 2025 (it had been agreed for months).

1 hour ago, stuie said:

The 'estimated' number that's always referred to is 250,000 in 2000, the year of Bowie. 

If I had a time machine, I'd be popping along to that one to see for myself! 

I wasn't there that year but was in 1999. Once you got onto the site they stamped your hand with ink that showed up under UV light - and that was it. Needless to say enterprising souls outside the fence were stamping ticketless punters for a modest fee, leading to the festival site being rammed everywhere you went.

15 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Certainly appears to be a shift in music policy, although some might argue that they've been edging closer to this every year, post-COVID. 

People still can't get their heads around the fact that festivals evolve. It's like they want to freeze time to suit their taste.

They have been doing huge lineups the past few years - not even surely who they could have actually replaced one of them with.

All the options i'd like have done it in 2022 and 2023!

Radiohead perhaps? but may not even be about

Edited by gfa

48 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

and for those who won't they should probably just go here instead of Glastonbury lol image.thumb.png.4b5915972e8be8890b8fb8bd31b7318d.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gfa said:

They have been doing huge lineups the past few years - not even surely who they could have actually replaced one of them with.

All the options i'd like have done it in 2022 and 2023!

Bar the odd exception for whatever reason, when it's within their control, most of the big global festival brands very rarely get it wrong. 

Prima has three very popular and "current" artists headlining, but I'd also accept the argument that in comparison to years gone by, they're weaker in terms of stature. For me, it just lends further potential emphasis that the big ticket artists are now leaning more towards their own shows as opposed to the festival circuit. Unless festival organisers match or surpass the fees of their own tour shows. Maybe that's just the way it's headed?

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Bar the odd exception for whatever reason, when it's within their control, most of the big global festival brands very rarely get it wrong. 

Prima has three very popular and "current" artists headlining, but I'd also accept the argument that in comparison to years gone by, they're weaker in terms of stature. For me, it just lends further potential emphasis that the big ticket artists are now leaning more towards their own shows as opposed to the festival circuit. Unless festival organisers match or surpass the fees of their own tour shows. Maybe that's just the way it's headed?

The standard just isn't there is it now. 

D

51 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I've gone on about this before on here so I won't rant at length, but I think it's more nuanced than that.. For a long time in the UK, festivals were a haven for alternative communities and when they go "mainstream" I think some of those communities feel threatened - their safe space is being taken away. 

Chappelle Roan is the obvious exception to this identity wise, but the music remains mainstream pop. 

I'm not gonna debate this any more because it's not something I have a clear feeling on - I get mad that the people who bullied me for being alternative now hang out at the same festivals, but equally I'm glad the things I love get a world stage and are accessible to all, rather than falling by the wayside. 

(And obviously I haven't even mentioned the faux community construct of modern capitalism anyway, like certain major festivals or artists actually ever cared about identity over profits.) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, whateverworksout said:

People that were in primary school and grew up listening to her/sugababes are now the main age group that are at glastonbury - so of course it’s going to be heaving when people just wanna have a good time/singalong! 

I get this and expected Sugababes to be mad busy, but I was genuinely - am still genuinely - baffled by the size of the crowd for Avril Lavigne.  I would never have predicted that.  I just didn't think that she had enough big UK hits to be such a draw.

2 minutes ago, Talcroft said:

D

I've gone on about this before on here so I won't rant at length, but I think it's more nuanced than that.. For a long time in the UK, festivals were a haven for alternative communities and when they go "mainstream" I think some of those communities feel threatened - their safe space is being taken away. 

Chappelle Roan is the obvious exception to this identity wise, but the music remains mainstream pop. 

I'm not gonna debate this any more because it's not something I have a clear feeling on - I get mad that the people who bullied me for being alternative now hang out at the same festivals, but equally I'm glad the things I love get a world stage and are accessible to all, rather than falling by the wayside. 

(And obviously I haven't even mentioned the faux community construct of modern capitalism anyway, like certain major festivals or artists actually ever cared about identity over profits.) 

For me what's annoying is when they book what I'd call a new lot of rubbish for the new age/era we'll say while randomly popping in what I'd call better options that don't still make it worth it. Some of it I genuinely can't understand how it's so popular and big. I went festivals at a time when you needed more than 1 good song to get you to subbing or headlining a festival, times have changed majorly there. 

I listen to all sorts of music so it's not as of I need to stay years back....I do think the quality of output was better though. Like I wouldn't just decide a newer band is rubbish without listening and say older is better. 

You look back at the 80s, 90s they still had rockier bands, into the 2000s, deep onto the 2000s so it's not like it was just a fad! Bands generally for me aren't good enough to sustain it. Like I started going Reading in 2006, the era before me did, the era after me for a little bit did but the it all just changed to the decent at the start indie rock bands continuing that didn't actually make the top anyway. That's why I think Fontaines DC have held off apparently from Glastonbury due be one that does make it.

Festivals have been making their way poppier for years though. 

7 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I get this and expected Sugababes to be mad busy, but I was genuinely - am still genuinely - baffled by the size of the crowd for Avril Lavigne.  I would never have predicted that.  I just didn't think that she had enough big UK hits to be such a draw.

Seven UK top 10s, and several more in the top fourty. With most of that coming when the chart positions still meant something.

I've not checked this, but I'd presume that outside of (two of) the headliners and the legends slot, there weren't many (if any) acts on the lineup that could match that reach.

18 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Have to factor in that she wasn't up against any strong competition. Janelle Monae was always going to be a weak draw.

Not just Janelle. I had a look back at the clashfinder and I'm not sure anyone else on at the same time across all the stages was enough of a draw to get people - particularly the demographic with nostalgia for Avril Lavigne.

49 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Have to factor in that she wasn't up against any strong competition. Janelle Monae was always going to be a weak draw.

I was going to go watch Janelle, but she was playing 3 nights in Manchester the following week so went to one of them, and enjoyed Avril. 

44 minutes ago, mouserat said:

Not just Janelle. I had a look back at the clashfinder and I'm not sure anyone else on at the same time across all the stages was enough of a draw to get people - particularly the demographic with nostalgia for Avril Lavigne.

Brittany Howard killed it, was one of my highlights of the weekend.