2025 Headliners

For selfish reasons, I'd want Rihanna over Stevie Wonder.  Purely because I've seen Stevie twice but would feel compelled to to watch him again and couldn't give 2 f**ks about Rihanna so would be free to go elsewhere.

On 10/9/2024 at 9:36 PM, 4AssedMonkey said:

I’m 50 and would be thrilled to see O-Rod headline.

That's fair enough but I think you can appreciate her lyrics aren't particularly aimed at our demographic are they? That was the point. 

I'm sure she will go down very well with the younger punters like Dua Lipa did. That did absolutely nothing for me either though. I just don't get all that pop stuff with huge sets distracting you from the fact there's not actually a proper band playing most of the time and the singer is only semi singing live as there's an obvious backing track in use.

Don't think they should be headlining personally if it's not 100% live but that's just my take. 

1 minute ago, Benjsh said:

That's fair enough but I think you can appreciate her lyrics aren't particularly aimed at our demographic are they? That was the point. 

Love and heartbreak arent universal themes?

3 minutes ago, Benjsh said:

I'm sure she will go down very well with the younger punters like Dua Lipa did. That did absolutely nothing for me either though. I just don't get all that pop stuff with huge sets distracting you from the fact there's not actually a proper band playing most of the time and the singer is only semi singing live as there's an obvious backing track in use.

Don't think they should be headlining personally if it's not 100% live but that's just my take. 

Her show will be pretty different to Dua Lipa's.

18 minutes ago, Benjsh said:

One thing I can confirm is that there is definitely a band playing 100% of the time for Olivia Rodrigo. 

I actually think she's one of the strongest lyricists working today.  Tell me this doesn't appeal to anyone who has experienced the isolation of depression.

Edited to add: As for singing and performing live, have some tiny desk:

Edited by Spindles

Safe to say her lyrics very much resonate with me despite being a straight 32 year old man.

I also thoroughly enjoyed both her vocals and the live band during her 2022 Glastonbury set

Edited by JonSnow

I don’t know much about Olivia Rodrigo atm but if she’s headlining I will definitely do some back catalogue research and most likely go and see her.  

It’s weird to assume that new pop artists only appeal to the younger generations.. I was on the catwalk barrier for Dua Lipa as I loved a lot of her singles and went away thinking it was one of my favourite sets in 27 years of glasto going.  Her music is universal, definitely not aimed at a particular demographic.  

Even if music is more directed to a specific demographic, which maybe one of my favourite artists at the moment - Charlie XCX is, I don’t think that should stop people of any age enjoying it.  Good music is good music, end of.  I’ve never felt too old for anything and I’m 51 now.. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pipine said:

I don’t know much about Olivia Rodrigo atm but if she’s headlining I will definitely do some back catalogue research and most likely go and see her.  

It’s weird to assume that new pop artists only appeal to the younger generations.. I was on the catwalk barrier for Dua Lipa as I loved a lot of her singles and went away thinking it was one of my favourite sets in 27 years of glasto going.  Her music is universal, definitely not aimed at a particular demographic.  

Even if music is more directed to a specific demographic, which maybe one of my favourite artists at the moment - Charlie XCX is, I don’t think that should stop people of any age enjoying it.  Good music is good music, end of.  I’ve never felt too old for anything and I’m 51 now.. 

I know both @kalifire and myself both really enjoyed Dua .... both of us in our 40s .... and my thoughts were similar in my 17 years 

1 minute ago, Pipine said:

I do not think acts like this necessarily target younger fans - I just think perhaps (and not tarring all of them). more older fans (again present company most definitely excluded).   Put up more of a fuss about trying new things -   

A lot of people get to an age and there music taste stagnates and they are suddenly reluctant to even consider new things -  and even worse they have a terrible habbit of writing acts of without even trying them -  Be willing to bet 80%+ of the people saying Olivia Rodrigo should not headline probably have never even tried listening to her

Yourself obviously not included  in this generalisation. 

2 hours ago, Benjsh said:

This is something I kind of agree with.  And even if there is a band on stage, they tend to get backstaged whilst the leagues of dancers are spotlighted at the front and the whole thing is choreographed to within an inch of it's life.  I get it's impressive, requires hard work and talent, but I'd rather just see a really good tight band absolutely killing it, acting spontaneously and having the time of their life.

5 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

This is something I kind of agree with.  And even if there is a band on stage, they tend to get backstaged whilst the leagues of dancers are spotlighted at the front and the whole thing is choreographed to within an inch of its life.  I get it's impressive, requires hard work and talent, but I'd rather just see a really good tight band absolutely killing it, acting spontaneously and having the time of their life.

It’s just personal preference isn’t it.. I like to see bands and I also like big production pop shows. They can both be really thrilling to watch for different reasons.  

I don’t like it when people mime, but I’m happy for some backing track support as long as you can hear the live vocals (which you could for Dua).  Pretty sure Dua was having the time of her life in her headline slot last year.. even though it was a tightly choreographed set.. it can be all of those things and there’s a place for all of it on the farm if you ask me. 

13 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

This is something I kind of agree with.  And even if there is a band on stage, they tend to get backstaged whilst the leagues of dancers are spotlighted at the front and the whole thing is choreographed to within an inch of it's life.  I get it's impressive, requires hard work and talent, but I'd rather just see a really good tight band absolutely killing it, acting spontaneously and having the time of their life.

To play devils advocate, isn't a 'tight' band also choreographed within a inch of it's life

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

To play devils advocate, isn't a 'tight' band also choreographed within a inch of it's life

You make an excellent point.  I would however state that there can be a slight variation in that the best bands can improvise on the hoof and do so as a unit.  I don't know this, but suspect backing dancers don't have that licence.

4 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

You make an excellent point.  I would however state that there can be a slight variation in that the best bands can improvise on the hoof and do so as a unit.  I don't know this, but suspect backing dancers don't have that licence.

Depends on the type of music. There's a huge spectrum between something like the Grateful Dead and The JBs. 

Dua Lipa - in dispensing dance floorbangers - is best suited to having a band that's tight as a drum and ruthlessly efficient.