Join our friendly community of music lovers and be part of the fun 😎

2025 Headliners

4 hours ago, Talcroft said:

D

I've gone on about this before on here so I won't rant at length, but I think it's more nuanced than that.. For a long time in the UK, festivals were a haven for alternative communities and when they go "mainstream" I think some of those communities feel threatened - their safe space is being taken away. 

Chappelle Roan is the obvious exception to this identity wise, but the music remains mainstream pop. 

I'm not gonna debate this any more because it's not something I have a clear feeling on - I get mad that the people who bullied me for being alternative now hang out at the same festivals, but equally I'm glad the things I love get a world stage and are accessible to all, rather than falling by the wayside. 

(And obviously I haven't even mentioned the faux community construct of modern capitalism anyway, like certain major festivals or artists actually ever cared about identity over profits.) 

This sums up my thoughts more articulately than I possibly could. 

That alternative side is still very much present at Glastonbury but much more in the background, away from the main stages whereas in 'the good old days' it was was front and centre. That's fine though, I just don't spend a lot of time at the main stages these days.

And it's why I love Beautiful Days because I feel at home with all the other old crusties and hippies. 

5 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Certainly appears to be a shift in music policy, although some might argue that they've been edging closer to this every year, post-COVID. 

People still can't get their heads around the fact that festivals evolve. It's like they want to freeze time to suit their taste.

It's kinda something tbf that we talked about whether Primavera would book big acts in terms of booking Green Day, then they go out and book arguably the 3 biggest pop stars of last year.

5 hours ago, Talcroft said:

D

I've gone on about this before on here so I won't rant at length, but I think it's more nuanced than that.. For a long time in the UK, festivals were a haven for alternative communities and when they go "mainstream" I think some of those communities feel threatened - their safe space is being taken away. 

Chappelle Roan is the obvious exception to this identity wise, but the music remains mainstream pop. 

I'm not gonna debate this any more because it's not something I have a clear feeling on - I get mad that the people who bullied me for being alternative now hang out at the same festivals, but equally I'm glad the things I love get a world stage and are accessible to all, rather than falling by the wayside. 

(And obviously I haven't even mentioned the faux community construct of modern capitalism anyway, like certain major festivals or artists actually ever cared about identity over profits.) 

Excellent post.

It's something I really struggle with. This was my big problem with Guns & Roses when they were booked. The kind of people who were listening to G&R in the late 80s/early 90s absolutely despised those of us who were going to Glastonbury. That band for me personified the kind of mulleted prick in the only rock pub in town who would threaten to glass you if you put anything on the jukebox that wasn't straight ahead meat and potatoes rock and sneered at you for being stinking f**king hippies or whatever.The lads who thought the coppers did 'a f**king good job' at the Battle of the Beanfield.

I can't really forgive and forget and the idea that there's now tens of thousands of people in the Pyramid field watching them as a headliner makes me intensely uncomfortable. We were the f**king enemy, we were bullied in the workplace and threatened with a glassing by people wearing G&R T-shirts, and now that band is on a Glastonbury T-shirt? Man, I just don't know.

I like that Glastonbury can, at its very best, represent a wide church of tastes, particularly across the top of its stages.

But there's always going to be elements overcooked  or underlooked. Take Primavera and its trio of pop headliners for next year - arguably all different facets, but still broadly "pop" as they say.

5 hours ago, Talcroft said:

D

It's not out of the ordinary or transgressive anymore to be a queer act, so definitely not alternative in any shape or form.

Edited by SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot