Way Out West 2024

ParanoidTourist

2 hours ago, ParanoidTourist said:

I'm also extremely gutted about the Smile not appearing but it's the same in every European August festival. 

Hope they will find a good replacement. Oya festival in Norway replaced the Smile with Air but they are already on WOWs lineup so it should be someone else. 

If Oya gets Air from the WOW line up, WOW should get a name from Oya 😃

Would live to see Idles play here, but I won't complain if Brutus shows up...

On 7/19/2024 at 10:41 PM, Marty76 said:

Would love Brutus but they are not big enough for that spot. Unless they do some moving around. Idles could be a possibility for sure. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/19/2024 at 10:41 PM, Marty76 said:

Both are a good shout even though I think Idles are more likely. 

On the Pukkelpop forum they listed artists that could replace the Smile. The ones that, at least in theory, could be avaliable for WOW are LCD Soundsystem, New Order, Placebo, Death Cab For Cutie, Roisin Murphy, Snow Patrol, Biffy Clyro, Kasabian and dEUS. But perhaps we shouldn´t get our hopes up too much given the short time there is left.  

Edited by ParanoidTourist

Agree that Brutus is not the right size, but in case the bigger alternatives don't work out, I could see them move up Big Thief or Loyle and book some smaller act for an early spot... 

The Pukkelpop list doesnt seem too realistic to be honest although I'd love to see DCFC again.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ParanoidTourist said:

James Blake has been announced as the Smile´s replacement. Still pretty good name considering the short notice. 

Kan vara en bild av 1 person och text

Agreed, could 've been worse.

• Upvote 1

I'm not really a fan but he's a big name to replace them for sure and no doubt lots of people will be happy with it.

The shame for me is that there isn't really much else on at the same time if you're not too interested in seeing him. Whereas just before that you have Air, Yves Tumor and Thee Sacred Souls all at the same time (and I'd like to see all three!). I feel like there are lots of amazing things at the festival that I will be missing due to clashes (this always happens at festivals of course) but there are also quite a lot of times where there isn't too much happening.

1 hour ago, ParanoidTourist said:

Queens of the Stone Age has cancelled due to continued health problems with Josh. A massive blow to lose both the Smile and QOTSA. 

Luckily, Jack White is replacing them: 

Kan vara en bild av 1 person och text

I like that festivals come up with decent replacements and this is as good as we could possibly expect, but damn, these August festival line ups look much worse than they initially did. Fingers crossed this was the last cancellation.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Marty76 said:

I like that festivals come up with decent replacements and this is as good as we could possibly expect, but damn, these August festival line ups look much worse than they initially did. Fingers crossed this was the last cancellation.

Yes, I agree. The loss is felt even more since The Smile and QOTSA are both fan favourites. But I also like that the festivals really make an effort to get decent replacements. 

• Upvote 1

So what do you guys plan to see at WOW? My schedule will look something like this: 

Thursday: Big Thief / Air / James Blake / PJ Harvey / Jack White

Friday: Blondshell / Alvvays / Límperatrice / Pulp / Slowdive

Saturday: Andre 3000 / Wednesday / Benjamin Ingrosso / The National 

9 minutes ago, DDave said:

How much is a beer at this festival? 

Don´t remember actually but it´s fairly expensive. However the festival is close to the city center so you can always venture out of the festival area for a moment if you want a decent beer   

• Upvote 1

So what do you guys plan to see at WOW? My schedule will look something like this: 

Thursday: The Kills - Loyle Carner - Big Thief - Air while eating - James Blake - PJ Harvey - Jack White

Friday: bit more flexible but at least Alvvays - Nation of Language - Pulp - Slowdive and probably Jesse Ware as well.

Saturday: no ticket as I've seen The National over 10 times now and didnt like rest of the programm enough, so I'll spend some time visiting Sweden 😃

• Like 1

Looking good!

Tuesday: Big Thief at Pustervik.

Thursday: Big Thief - 1/2 of Air and 1/2 of Yves Tumor - James Blake - PJ Harvey - Jack White

Friday: Blondshell -  Alvvays - L'Imperatrice - Nation of Language - Pulp - Slowdive - maybe Pustervik for SoW.

Saturday: Andre 3000 - Wednesday - Hurray for the Riff Raff - Terra - Fever Ray - The National - SoW: Mount Kimbie

• Like 1

Thursday: The Kills - Big Thief - Air - Yussef Dayes - PJ Harvey - Jack White - Stay Out West: hoping for Rotem Geffen, The New Eves and Thurston Moore but probably too optimistic to do all three. I'm assuming there are separate entrances for the two Pustervik venues so would have to access twice.

Friday: Blondshell - Goran Kafjes - Alvvays (and maybe the end of Sampha) - L'Imperatrice - Nation of Language - Pulp - Slowdive - Stay Out West: want to see English Teacher but don't think I'll make much of it after Slowdive and then stay for Yard Act. Would like to watch Hotline TNT as well but doesn't seem doable.

Saturday: Arooj Aftab - the of Amanda Bergman - Andre 3000 - Icona Pop - Wednesday - Hurray for the Riff Raff - Terra - Fever Ray - The National - Stay out West: probably Mount Kimbie if I have the energy

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ElGanzo said:

Anyone think we might another act to be announced? There's a look gap on the Linné stage between L'Imperatrice and Overmono, definitely a long enough gap for another set..

You are right: well spotted! There is indeed a mysterious gap between L'Imperatrice and Overmono that doesn´t exist elsewhere in the schedule. I know the festival is due soon but WOW have been known before to announce the odd band close to the festival dates. 

Don´t know if this have been posted before but because of the current Swedish anti terrorist legislation you cannot bring a bag (or handbag) into the festival area.          

https://www.instagram.com/p/C9_7NNetwcV/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Just so you don´t get an unpleasant surprise at the festival entrance. There should be lockers somewhere though. 

Oh, thank you for the reminder re the bag ban! First time at WOW, and first time at a festival with an all out ban on any bags. I usually bring junk I don't need anyway in mine, so this may be freeing!

Also thanks to the posters re beer too. Always good to know!

Disappointed re QOTSA, but still very much looking forward to our first real visit to Sweden. We are only going Thursday and Friday as we wanted to see some of Gothenburg whilst there. If anyone has any recommendations of things to see/do I'd love the guidance.

Visited Rock Werchter for the first time last month, so I'm excited to have another new one to try out. Not long now!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ElGanzo said:

Thursday: The Kills - Big Thief - Air - Yussef Dayes - PJ Harvey - Jack White - Stay Out West: hoping for Rotem Geffen, The New Eves and Thurston Moore but probably too optimistic to do all three. I'm assuming there are separate entrances for the two Pustervik venues so would have to access twice.

Friday: Blondshell - Goran Kafjes - Alvvays (and maybe the end of Sampha) - L'Imperatrice - Nation of Language - Pulp - Slowdive - Stay Out West: want to see English Teacher but don't think I'll make much of it after Slowdive and then stay for Yard Act. Would like to watch Hotline TNT as well but doesn't seem doable.

Saturday: Arooj Aftab - the of Amanda Bergman - Andre 3000 - Icona Pop - Wednesday - Hurray for the Riff Raff - Terra - Fever Ray - The National - Stay out West: probably Mount Kimbie if I have the energy

Same entrance for both of the Pustervik stages. You can freely move between them in between sets. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Giovanni said:

I wonder, how popular are Stay Out West shows? Does it make any sense to try to get there after the headliners? Not during, after 🙂

Of course it depends a lot on how popular the artist and how big the SoW venue. The good thing is that there are plenty of alternatives which spreads out the punters. Most times it is possible to catch nearly the entire headliner set and still make it in time to get into the club venue as long as you make a sprint towards the exit when leaving. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Some of the Stay out West venues are pretty small though.

Liseberg Polketten: 1700?

Annedalskyrkan: 1000?

Pustervik Stora: 900

Pustervik Lilla: 300

Musikens Hus: 400

Folkteatern: 500??

Oceanen: 150

Scandic Central and Skeppet - no idea, have never been.

• Upvote 1