Way Out West 2024

ParanoidTourist

I also had a great time🙂 My only nitpicks were that it was fairly crowded at times and that Oskar Linnros didn´t stop playing and stole time from Pulp´s slot on Friday. Apart from that: a solid festival imo. 

Of the concerts I saw I especially enjoyed PJ Harvey, Pulp, L'impératrice, Alvvays, Jack White and Skepta. I missed Slowdive, Overmono and Blondshell unfortunately but you can´t win them all. 

• Thanks 1

I agree about both nitpicks. I also was surprised just how much advertising there was - how many babybels can one person eat 😂, and thought some stage choices were a bit surprising, which didn't help with overcrowing. Oh and the food was a bit of a mixed bag 

Highlights for me were Pulp, Alvvays, PJ Harvey, The National, Jack White, Wednesday, Nation of Language and Big Thief (though certainly not the best I have seen them). But I also enjoyed lots of others including Blondshell, Hurray for the Riff Raff, Fever Ray, Slowdive, Yard Act, Arooj Aftab and Air. Only shame was missing English Teacher because of the crazy queue even though I left Slowdive early and was lucky to jump straight on a tram!

• Upvote 1

For those who went in previous years…was it more crowded than usually this year? My only escape-from-the-crowds spot on Friday and Saturday was around Linne stage. Usually I have at least 3-4 escape spots at a festival 😁

No other issues for me, no problem to find some vegetarian/vegan/no gluten-free whatever decent food.

My favourite concert was by far PJ Harvey, though I bought the ticket to see Pulp. Seemed like the Swedish crowd is ideal for a PJ Harvey concert, there was complete silence around me during her songs 🙌🏻 L’Imperatrice was fun and The National surprised me, 4th time for me to see them, I didn’t expected to still enjoy it. Small disappointments from Nation Of Language and Slowdive…first one too crowded, Slowdive…something not worked for me.

3 hours ago, jmdelblinky said:

For those who went in previous years…was it more crowded than usually this year? My only escape-from-the-crowds spot on Friday and Saturday was around Linne stage. Usually I have at least 3-4 escape spots at a festival 😁

No other issues for me, no problem to find some vegetarian/vegan/no gluten-free whatever decent food.

My favourite concert was by far PJ Harvey, though I bought the ticket to see Pulp. Seemed like the Swedish crowd is ideal for a PJ Harvey concert, there was complete silence around me during her songs 🙌🏻 L’Imperatrice was fun and The National surprised me, 4th time for me to see them, I didn’t expected to still enjoy it. Small disappointments from Nation Of Language and Slowdive…first one too crowded, Slowdive…something not worked for me.

I´d say it definitely was more crowded this year. I also read in the Swedish papers that there were 70 000 visitors this year (a new record) whereas last years number was 55 000.

Had a great time as well. Was gutted initially to miss The Smile and QOTSA, but both Jack White and James Blake were awesome, so congrats to WOW for finding such great replacements.

Also loved PJ Harvey, but was a bit further in the back as I'd already seen her three times this year and wanted a good spot for Jack White. Alvvays was also great and left early enough to see English Teacher who were awesome despite the Pustervik crowd being noisy during the soft parts.

Only act that slightly disappointed me was Big Thief, seen them much better and think they should play smaller stages. As a city I really loved Göteborg and we had a very nice hotel.

Finally, we also went to see The Substance on Friday. Weirdest movie I've ever seen, still not sure whether I liked it or not. Won't put any spoilers, just go see for yourselves and decide!

Glad to hear you all enjoyed it!

I agree it keeps feeling a little bit more crowded each year but mainly around some bottleneck areas and not so much by the stages. Musically this was one of the best Way out West editions for me.

Slowdive was the real positive standout, absolutely beautiful!

The National live performance keeps growing stronger for every year. 

Other enjoyable sets for me where Big Thief (loved the new material), Alvvays, Wednesday, Terra, Hurray for the Riff Raff, Yves Tumor and PJ Harvey. 

It was surprisingly easy to get into the Stay Out West venues this year. Left after the last song of Slowdive but still managed to catch the rambunctious Hotline TNT set at Skeppet.

On Saturday made it into Pustervik to see Mount Kimbie despite staying for all of The National's set. 

• Upvote 1

That's us back home after a fab weekend in Göteborg. Really liked the festival although some areas were super busy. Couldn't see Nation of Language as it was packed, but just stood with a beer and listened from the wee bar.
Thought PJ Harvey was excellent and got a really good spot to see Jack White. Pulp were great the next night too - although they were rightly ragin at being kept from starting on time. 
Saw English Teacher and Yard Act at Pustervik but that was the only Stay Out West we managed to see. 

It was good being able to walk to the festival site from our hotel. Though I'd maybe choose a hotel that serves a good margarita next time because ours didn't and I'd been put in the mood for one here haha.

Got some great weather too which was awesome. I'm very tempted to come back again next year! 

Edited by pumpkinprincess123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pumpkinprincess123 said:

That's us back home after a fab weekend in Göteborg. Really liked the festival although some areas were super busy. Couldn't see Nation of Language as it was packed, but just stood with a beer and listened from the wee bar.
Thought PJ Harvey was excellent and got a really good spot to see Jack White. Pulp were great the next night too - although they were rightly ragin at being kept from starting on time. 
Saw English Teacher and Yard Act at Pustervik but that was the only Stay Out West we managed to see. 

It was good being able to walk to the festival site from our hotel. Though I'd maybe choose a hotel that serves a good margarita next time because ours didn't and I'd been put in the mood for one here haha.

Got some great weather too which was awesome. I'm very tempted to come back again next year! 

First Hotel G, next to the station is the place to be for margarita's 😂 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, pumpkinprincess123 said:

I got another email from WOW today and it made me think about buying the early tickets for 2025. Does anyone know how long the early ones are usually on sale for?
I definitely have the post-festival blues

I was also tempted to buy a couple. Not sure how long they are for sale but if I´m not mistaken they should give a heads up when there´s a few days left of the sale. Last year, the first act was announced in November so probably still several weeks to go. 

1 hour ago, ParanoidTourist said:

I was also tempted to buy a couple. Not sure how long they are for sale but if I´m not mistaken they should give a heads up when there´s a few days left of the sale. Last year, the first act was announced in November so probably still several weeks to go. 

I will keep a watch for updates. I enjoyed the smaller scale of this one in terms of audience size - although there were busy areas/moments. It was a nice end to the summer, and the last warm sunshine I have seen ha. So it now holds that summer nostalgia moment for me. 
There are a few potential festivals on my list for next year already, but this is up there! So many festivals...so little time (and of course money 😄).

• Like 1