Download 2025

Andre91

32 minutes ago, BrutalLegend said:

Playing big arenas over there too, be interesting to see if they’ll do Download or their own shows here for a change.

Heard people speculate Gurnsbury Park next year but that might be due to Limp Bizkit and Korn headlining it last year and year before and keeping the Nu Metal Trend going. 

9 hours ago, northernangel said:

My hunch is given the gap they've had in Download appearances that they'll do their own shows. Maybe get the Gunnersbury gig.

Gunnersbury would make a lot of sense for them I think, and LB and Korn shows have shown there's a crowd for it. They need decent support bill though I think.

9 hours ago, Steve G said:

Heard people speculate Gurnsbury Park next year but that might be due to Limp Bizkit and Korn headlining it last year and year before and keeping the Nu Metal Trend going. 

Well one of those people speculating is me haha. But the organisers know they are onto a winner with booking nu-metal bands for it. Though someone like NIN or Tool would also sell it out.

10 hours ago, BrutalLegend said:

Playing big arenas over there too, be interesting to see if they’ll do Download or their own shows here for a change.

Probably be dependent on whether they choose to do first or second half of summer, seems bands do one or the other now. 

Edited by Spiral_Low

Maiden tour announcement coming today, I think 1pm CET

IRON MAIDEN today announce the “RUN FOR YOUR LIVES WORLD TOUR 2025/26”, which will kick off in late May in Budapest and will be followed by 27 shows at stadiums, festivals and arenas across Europe. The “RUN FOR YOUR LIVES WORLD TOUR 2025/26” marks 50 years since Steve Harris formed the band in late 1975 and to celebrate this event, Maiden fans have been promised a very special setlist, spanning all nine studio albums from “Iron Maiden” to “Fear Of The Dark”, featuring their most spectacular songs and their most elaborate stage show ever!

Only headliner bands confirmed to be doing European fests so far are Green Day (Southside), Biffy Clyro (Rock Am Ring and Southside), Sleep Token (Rock AM Ring) Slipknot (Rock Am Ring and NovaRock), BMTH (Rock Am Ring). Think this is all.

1 hour ago, couch said:

Only headliner bands confirmed to be doing European fests so far are Green Day (Southside), Biffy Clyro (Rock Am Ring and Southside), Sleep Token (Rock AM Ring) Slipknot (Rock Am Ring and NovaRock), BMTH (Rock Am Ring). Think this is all.

It doesn't rule Biffy Clyro out of the IOW yet, they could be playing Saturday or Sunday there.

50 minutes ago, BrutalLegend said:

Sleep Token

Biffy Clyro 

Green Day 

🤠

If they booked Biffy again, they need to be booked on the Friday night just to get them gone because they aren't for Download and the crowd speaks volumes to confirm that.

I think LP are now back to an option after Maiden effectively got ruled out of Rock for People. I say this because the same person has said LP not for Download. So for me we are at 3 of ST, Slipknot, Linkin Park or Green Day.

It will be interesting to see what happens though with that Metallica and LP Super Sonic gig mentioned.

I think Slipknot need to be announcing a separate Knotfest soon if they are going to be doing that.

Edited by northernangel

34 minutes ago, northernangel said:

If they booked Biffy again, they need to be booked on the Friday night just to get them gone because they aren't for Download and the crowd speaks volumes to confirm that.

Biffy are my absolute favourite band but I’m minded to agree with you here. I do think their material is Download friendly (I mean, it’s not exactly pop rock) and there’s an argument that they’re one of few bands that have truly gone from the bottom of the bill to the top, but it seems most average Download punters are not that bothered by them (and I don’t know why, they’re class tbh). I don’t think they’re much different to the QOTSA booking mind you, but even QOTSA got a fairly healthy crowd. 

• Like 1

A lot of people on the forums (probably more in the know than me to be fair) have discounted Biffy, but I think that feels premature. There have been comments about crowd size last time, so fair enough. From my perspective though, last time they played they smashed it and the crowd seemed to be loving it. For me they'd be a better booking than QOTSA and plenty of other headliners over the years. I guess a lot of it comes down to personal taste, but worth bearing in mind that AC seems to be partially guided by taste / favourites too... Like FeverDream says they've climbed the rankings and earned headline status on merit, so with them being at RockAM/IM, feels like they've been written off too lightly to me.

26 minutes ago, Heyzoos said:

A lot of people on the forums (probably more in the know than me to be fair) have discounted Biffy, but I think that feels premature. There have been comments about crowd size last time, so fair enough. From my perspective though, last time they played they smashed it and the crowd seemed to be loving it. For me they'd be a better booking than QOTSA and plenty of other headliners over the years. I guess a lot of it comes down to personal taste, but worth bearing in mind that AC seems to be partially guided by taste / favourites too... Like FeverDream says they've climbed the rankings and earned headline status on merit, so with them being at RockAM/IM, feels like they've been written off too lightly to me.

I suppose if it’s another year where Download are struggling to secure who they want Biffy might be an easy option. To be honest, I’d rather they headline the Avalanche and do a throwback set based on playing songs off of the first 3 albums. I think that would be ace! Though I don’t know if there would be much appeal for that at Download; their October run of shows playing the first 3 albums in full are fairly small venues. Probably would only appeal to diehard fans given they don’t even play any songs from those albums (bar the occasional appearance of 57 or All the Way Down) at their usual shows.

1 hour ago, northernangel said:

It doesn't rule Biffy Clyro out of the IOW yet, they could be playing Saturday or Sunday there.

I would say Biffy are almost certainly out of IOW. Southside has a twin fest that happens on the same weekend called Hurricane and they are booked for both.

4 minutes ago, RedJosh said:

I would say Biffy are almost certainly out of IOW. Southside has a twin fest that happens on the same weekend called Hurricane and they are booked for both.

In that case Download, R&L, Glasto (other stage headliner?), are probably their only decent options for festivals next year then, unless they drop down to the medium sized stuff. Or they could do 0 festivals which I find unlikely. Who knows 😄

10 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

In that case Download, R&L, Glasto (other stage headliner?), are probably their only decent options for festivals next year then, unless they drop down to the medium sized stuff. Or they could do 0 festivals which I find unlikely. Who knows 😄

I think from Rock Am Ring/Rock Im Park I see it as Biffy for Glastonbury Other Stage headliner, Sleep Token for Download and BMTH for R&L. If Download are struggling for a headliner I don’t see a world where Slipknot don’t get the call first, just can’t see a Knotfest happening when it struggled for sales the first time round. If they had someone like AC/DC potentially booked Slipknot would still be a fraction of the cost and a money saver. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FeverDream said:

Biffy are my absolute favourite band but I’m minded to agree with you here. I do think their material is Download friendly (I mean, it’s not exactly pop rock) and there’s an argument that they’re one of few bands that have truly gone from the bottom of the bill to the top, but it seems most average Download punters are not that bothered by them (and I don’t know why, they’re class tbh). I don’t think they’re much different to the QOTSA booking mind you, but even QOTSA got a fairly healthy crowd. 

Biffy as a band and their material are miles different to QOTSA in my opinion. The truth is with Biffy unless you are a really really big fan generally across their board, their output after Opposites has been seen as poor and even that's aged quite poorly. They've had nothing above a gold certification for anything in the last 11 years of music made with the recent only achieving that and in recent cases not even that. I've seen them several times now and apart from probably Animal Style and the odd Opposites one, I'm only bothered about only revolutions and before. I got into them at puzzle and I don't mind some of their stuff on the first 3 albums. Yes they will still sell our their own tours to their fans but we're talking abou the Premier rock festival that heavily books metal booking them to headline with their last 3 albums barely resembling hard rock.

18 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

I would be surprised if a Glastonbury slot didn't come. The likes of Lytham wouldn't rule that out.

Edited by northernangel

1 minute ago, northernangel said:

Biffy as a band and their material are miles different to QOTSA in my opinion. The truth is with Biffy unless you are a really really big fan generally across their board, their output after Opposites has been seen as poor and even that's aged quite poorly. They've had nothing above a gold certification for anything in the last 11 years of music made with the recent only achieving that and in recent cases not even that. I've seen them several times now and apart from probably Animal Style and the odd Opposites one, I'm only bothered about only revolutions and before. I got into them at puzzle and I don't mind some of their stuff on the first 3 albums.

I would be surprised if a Glastonbury slot didn't come. The likes of Lytham wouldn't rule that out.

Yeah I completely get that. I don’t like to be that person and state streaming numbers, but they’re not exactly impressive numbers for a band that headlines Download, R&L etc. I’ll always be biased in favour of them given they are my favourite band, but I wouldn’t be upset / bothered at the future possibility of them no longer being seen as festival headliners.

2 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

Yeah I completely get that. I don’t like to be that person and state streaming numbers, but they’re not exactly impressive numbers for a band that headlines Download, R&L etc. I’ll always be biased in favour of them given they are my favourite band, but I wouldn’t be upset / bothered at the future possibility of them no longer being seen as festival headliners.

Yeah. Download crowd are quite narrowed in what they like. You could book Maiden every 3 years, book Metallica the same and they'll lap it up because that's what they like. The thing with hard rock and metal is it's a such a genre in some ways cut off from the rest of music that liking one isn't likely to like another.

For example...I'll listen to Adele, Papa Roach, Avril Lavigne and Lewis Capaldi and Biffy say. But I'm not listening to devil driver, machine head, mastodon, Slayer etc etc after. It's too removed. How many bands that Download book would regularly get booked onto a different festival in England for example? If there was ever a bigger crossover it needed to be done long back. I don't think you'll ever see a set like this year again not being able to sell out 75k.