Download 2025

Andre91

2 minutes ago, northernangel said:

I don't see them 3 costing that much. Green Day would be the most expensive one and they would probably charge their top so about $2.2m. Probably about £4-5m 

Your way out mate.

Green Day are making more than £4-5m on one stadium show before merch. Obviously that isn't all profit for them as they need to pay transportation, production and crew costs which is going to cost a lot of money.

If you are using that old list of what band's charge that is well off.

3 minutes ago, RedJosh said:

Your way out mate.

Green Day are making more than £4-5m on one stadium show before merch. Obviously that isn't all profit for them as they need to pay transportation, production and crew costs which is going to cost a lot of money.

If you are using that old list of what band's charge that is well off.

Yes but they aren't going to make stadium money doing a festival or they would just do it anyway. That's why they can choose to take the money first and then play festivals after. Festivals usually aren't giving them stadium length time either so it's not really relevant from what I see.

20 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Yes but they aren't going to make stadium money doing a festival or they would just do it anyway. That's why they can choose to take the money first and then play festivals after. Festivals usually aren't giving them stadium length time either so it's not really relevant from what I see.

It really is. Festivals like Downlaod pay a premium to lock headliners into exclusivity clauses, which is why they struggle to get stadium sized headliners. The cost is prohibitive and bands aren't generally headlining festivals they don't have a relationship as a favour or on the cheap and if Green Day said they wanted 2 hours 30 minutes or 3 hours and not 2 hours Download will accommodate them.

Plus a lot of their other costs - crew costs, production, transportation, etc. aren't gonna change because they are doing a festival instead.

Edited by RedJosh

11 hours ago, RedJosh said:

It really is. Festivals like Downlaod pay a premium to lock headliners into exclusivity clauses, which is why they struggle to get stadium sized headliners. The cost is prohibitive and bands aren't generally headlining festivals they don't have a relationship as a favour or on the cheap and if Green Day said they wanted 2 hours 30 minutes or 3 hours and not 2 hours Download will accommodate them.

Plus a lot of their other costs - crew costs, production, transportation, etc. aren't gonna change because they are doing a festival instead.

To be honest I'll probably give you the benefit as I reckon you are in a better position to call that. I'm not in a known position to question you being correct.

12 hours ago, Judas Yeast said:

When they hugely increased the amount of tickets they sold? Then last year we had QOTSA, FOB and A7X with a significantly cheaper lineup all round. 

My initial point was that they could do it if they wanted to sell that many tickets again as such a set of headliners could sell that amount.

12 hours ago, RedJosh said:

Slipknot and Bring Me are much cheaper than Linkin Park, MCR and Green Day to book. The combined fee of Slipknot and Bring Me is going to be less than/similar than one of those three headliners. They could eat 2 and skimp on the undercard like 2018 or have a reduced undercard like 2023. 2023 actually had less acts than 2022 which had quite a few drop outs that weren't replaced and a 2024 which had drop outs a week before the fest, despite the extra day.

If they spend too much on headliners they have to make saving elsewhere on the line-up. They are given a budget by Live Nation to work to and the rest of the line-up would suffer or they would need to puck ticket prices up again.

They keep putting up tickets prices anyway and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is dissatisfied to see the headliner quality dropping whilst Live Nation take more and more profit. 

You'll whole argument is basically that it's ok for Live Nation to make horrendous amounts of money from the UK live music scene whilst cutting quality. 

30 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

They keep putting up tickets prices anyway and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is dissatisfied to see the headliner quality dropping whilst Live Nation take more and more profit. 

You'll whole argument is basically that it's ok for Live Nation to make horrendous amounts of money from the UK live music scene whilst cutting quality

Are they though? Green Day will be the biggest booking they've made in... I don't even know how long. They shifted 200,000 tickets here this year. We might be paying for that with Korn but it still shakes out pretty well and Sleep Token are about the hypest booking they could make that isn't LP. If LP wanna do L+R for a bigger payday then that's that, they can't force 'em. Beyond that we don't know what the undercard looks like either, could be rammed. 

It's not inherently a Live Nation issue anyway, gigs are just f**ked here now. Father John Misty is charging £90 for standing tickets 🤣

27 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

You'll whole argument is basically that it's ok for Live Nation to make horrendous amounts of money from the UK live music scene whilst cutting quality. 

My argument isn't that at all, your assuming and putting words in my mouth.

My argument is that Download have a budget to work within from LiveNation and they couldn't afford all those headliners (Gig prices have gone up massively since Covid). I'd love it if they kept tickets at 2019 prices or the price increases correlated with what they were instead of this massive jump, but the booking team don't set the budget. They have to work within it's parameters. Sure they may be able to get a bigger budget from LiveNation if they got all those headliners, but they aren't going to be able to push capacity again with what happened in 2023, so it is going to be the consumer who pays more and/or we get a weaker undercard.

I also disagree on reducing headliner quality and that is a completely subjective discussion based on who we both would and would not enjoy or want to see headlining. All three of this years headliners are headline sized bands, but if you don't enjoy them then yeah subjectively it is a dip in quality, but for me 2023 and 2024 were both increases in quality as a whole for me.

9 minutes ago, RedJosh said:

All three of this years headliners are headline sized bands, but if you don't enjoy them then yeah subjectively it is a dip in quality, but for me 2023 and 2024 were both increases in quality as a whole for me.

The only worse headliner trio in Download history than this year’s is from 2008. Amen

Edited by SweetJesus
  • Upvote 1

Nine Inch Nails feel more of a "get" to me than Korn.

But Korn also possibly are bigger to the common man? 

It sounds weird. They're headlining Good Things in Australia, which had Fall Out Boy atop the bill last year. It's a multi-city festival, so not sure on individual capacity, but think each date is about 30,000, give or take.