Download 2025

Andre91

On 6/21/2024 at 9:01 AM, LazyDavid said:

100151503_EarlyDL25prediction.thumb.png.5ea1491b2573414bbb186e728fab48a4.png

I whacked this together as an early prediction the other day, few bands out of place but it's all guesswork anyway!

Just as two points, I think The Interrupters have to play one of the bigger stages now and I can't see them ever getting Green Day. They aren't a band that would just decide to play Download without other shows. Except for Metallica, they pretty much outsell any headliner that Download books.

APEX: Sleep Token / Deftones / Spiritbox / Meshuggah / Knocked Loose / The Ghost Inside / Static Dress 

OPUS: Don Broco / Electric Callboy / Poppy 

AVALANCHE: Fightstar

DOGTOOTH: Chimaira

APEX: My Chemical Romance / Avril Lavigne / Bad Omens / Turnstile / Hot Milk / The Story So Far / nothing, nowhere. / Cassyette 

OPUS: Lamb of God (Ashes of the Wake) / Mastodon (Leviathan) / Lorna Shore 

AVALANCHE: letlive.

DOGTOOTH: Igorrr

APEX: System Of A Down / KoRn / Gojira / Motionless In White / Malevolence / Kittie / Loathe / Sylosis 

OPUS: Falling In Reverse / Beartooth / Hollywood Undead 

AVALANCHE: Alkaline Trio 

DOGTOOTH: Decapitated 

If I could book it...

Fri: NIN, Deftones, Alice In Chains, In Flames, Arch Enemy, L7, Svalbard

Sat: Rammstein, Gojira, Spiritbox, Tesseract, Baroness, Kittie, Scowl, Ithaca

Sun: Slipknot, Korn, Lamb Of God, Anthrax, Kreator, Testament, Death Angel, Pest Control

And then pack the second stage with the modern poppy metalcore that is so popular at the mo 😉

Obvs this is not a prediction, just a what I would do, and yes I was annoyed at the bands who dropped out in protest but I still would wanna see them! 

1 hour ago, Spiral_Low said:

If I could book it...

Fri: NIN, Deftones, Alice In Chains, In Flames, Arch Enemy, L7, Svalbard

Sat: Rammstein, Gojira, Spiritbox, Tesseract, Baroness, Kittie, Scowl, Ithaca

Sun: Slipknot, Korn, Lamb Of God, Anthrax, Kreator, Testament, Death Angel, Pest Control

And then pack the second stage with the modern poppy metalcore that is so popular at the mo 😉

Obvs this is not a prediction, just a what I would do, and yes I was annoyed at the bands who dropped out in protest but I still would wanna see them! 

I don’t think these bands will be getting booked by Live Nation for anything again after pulling out this year. 

47 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Yeah I'm sure your correct, at least for a couple of years anyhow!

In fairness why shouldn't they pull out if they don't feel happy playing a festival sponsored by those people? Download only dropped the sponsor last minute as it was going to put them in the sh*t.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, northernangel said:

In fairness why shouldn't they pull out if they don't feel happy playing a festival sponsored by those people? Download only dropped the sponsor last minute as it was going to put them in the sh*t.

Download dropped the sponsor because they had some seriously bigger artists entering into conversation with them (Enter Shikari, Tom Morello). They didn’t drop the sponsor because a handful of very small hardcore bands took their ball and went home without trying to spark a conversation. Those bands are of course welcome to pull out, they’re hardcore bands, it’s part of who they are. They have helped bring some attention to the issue but I seriously doubt that they had much of a part at all in Download dropping Barclays as a sponsor; as said, that was down to your larger artists using their profile and platform to initiate something.

Even Dying Wish, for example, didn’t pull out, they said either Barclays goes or they go; there’s more pressure from that than just going ‘We’re out.’ If you do that, that’s it, the end of it; you’re gone. You’re not there to actually try negotiate this change.

I think your up and coming bands who have generated a lot of buzz in the world of hardcore (which has, to be fair, been the #1 source for buzz in recent times, from Code Orange, to Turnstile, to Knocked Loose) such as Speed, Scowl and Zulu have shot themselves in the foot by doing this. They’ve set a precedent for themselves and I do genuinely think that they will be avoided by Download and Live Nation as a whole which will seriously impede their chances of growth over here. 

I’ll end by repeating what I said earlier; Download Festival did not drop Barclays as a sponsor because a small group of bands who play shows to a couple of hundred people over here decided to pull out. It was down to bigger, more prominent bands putting pressure on them by having a conversation. It does go to show though that there is power in collective action and collective conversation. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Download dropped the sponsor because they had some seriously bigger artists entering into conversation with them (Enter Shikari, Tom Morello). They didn’t drop the sponsor because a handful of very small hardcore bands took their ball and went home without trying to spark a conversation. Those bands are of course welcome to pull out, they’re hardcore bands, it’s part of who they are. They have helped bring some attention to the issue but I seriously doubt that they had much of a part at all in Download dropping Barclays as a sponsor; as said, that was down to your larger artists using their profile and platform to initiate something.

Even Dying Wish, for example, didn’t pull out, they said either Barclays goes or they go; there’s more pressure from that than just going ‘We’re out.’ If you do that, that’s it, the end of it; you’re gone. You’re not there to actually try negotiate this change.

I think your up and coming bands who have generated a lot of buzz in the world of hardcore (which has, to be fair, been the #1 source for buzz in recent times, from Code Orange, to Turnstile, to Knocked Loose) such as Speed, Scowl and Zulu have shot themselves in the foot by doing this. They’ve set a precedent for themselves and I do genuinely think that they will be avoided by Download and Live Nation as a whole which will seriously impede their chances of growth over here. 

I’ll end by repeating what I said earlier; Download Festival did not drop Barclays as a sponsor because a small group of bands who play shows to a couple of hundred people over here decided to pull out. It was down to bigger, more prominent bands putting pressure on them by having a conversation. It does go to show though that there is power in collective action and collective conversation. 

Moral of the story is though that Download were happy to have a sponsor knowing what they were about booked until push came to shove. But this is Download isn't it?, they don't give a sh*t about anything apart from you buying your ticket....you will disagree with this though.

End of the day they booked a racist to play that some festivals last year had the balls to drop. Shouldn't have been booked anyway mind. But that's my view and I'll stand by it.

Moral of the story is though that Download were happy to have a sponsor knowing what they were about booked until push came to shove. But this is Download isn't it?, they don't give a sh*t about anything apart from you buying your ticket....you will disagree with this though.

End of the day they booked a racist to play that some festivals last year had the balls to drop. Shouldn't have been booked anyway mind. But that's my view and I'll stand by it.

Well yeah, because Download is a massive corporate festival. Like all massive corporate festivals, they have sponsors who are linked to all sorts of things. 

Anyway, all banks hold money and shares for arms companies all over the world. Our tax money goes towards bombs that get dropped all over the world. 

Fair play to them though, they stuck by their morals. 

33 minutes ago, manchestermusicreview said:

Any chance of them going left field and booking 21 Pilots? 

I'm sure some would disagree with me but I think after the backlash this year they wouldn't risk that.

A festival the size of Download can't sustain itself by aiming at Gen Z and younger Millennials every year. Especially with the cost of living crisis we have where older people have much more disposable income than younger. Booking that band would be a continuation of a move towards 'the mainstream' that older fans are against. I think next year they'll be a move back towards metal and the heavier side of rock. Especially as they obvs threw a bone to the older fans with Pantera, Machine Head and The Offspring in such a high slots this year. 

Edited by Spiral_Low

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

I'm sure some would disagree with me but I think after the backlash this year they wouldn't risk that.

A festival the size of Download can't sustain itself by aiming at Gen Z and younger Millennials every year. Especially with the cost of living crisis we have where older people have much more disposable income than younger. Booking that band would be a continuation of a move towards 'the mainstream' that older fans are against. I think next year they'll be a move back towards metal and the heavier side of rock. Especially as they obvs threw a bone to the older fans with Pantera, Machine Head and The Offspring in such a high slots this year. 

The weekend was well attended. I think they’ll stick to the formula of this year. 

Edited by Andre91

13 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Well yeah, because Download is a massive corporate festival. Like all massive corporate festivals, they have sponsors who are linked to all sorts of things. 

Anyway, all banks hold money and shares for arms companies all over the world. Our tax money goes towards bombs that get dropped all over the world. 

Fair play to them though, they stuck by their morals. 

The difference with all banks holding and having shares and tax money going to stuff etc is, we have to pay taxes and our money has to be stored somewhere...we can't get out of that unfortunately. I doubt that would even change if we did what certain people do and have it paid into offshore accounts where less tax etc is paid though I'd certainly choose the lesser option if I could.

A massive corporate event however, has a choice of who to go for with sponsorship.

And yes absolutely fairplay to them. I wouldn't have blamed any of those bands that disagreed for pulling out mind. I'm also open to the view that some bands may not have been aware so early and open to the fact of what Barclays meant? I will admit sometimes with things like this, I don't follow it as much so I need to be enlightened the odd time with political things but I am overall at a stand for it if that makes sense? Obviously we all don't follow everything but we all want the world to be a better place. 

8 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

To be honest, The Offspring have come off of their biggest tour for years and best album for years. Not many of the bands they had play 3rd down equivalent last year do the tour they did and certainly not from this year.

56 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

The weekend was well attended. I think they’ll stick to the formula of this year. 

I doubt there is any chance of that. It might have been well attended, in a year reduced by 25% from the off.

The difference with all banks holding and having shares and tax money going to stuff etc is, we have to pay taxes and our money has to be stored somewhere...we can't get out of that unfortunately. I doubt that would even change if we did what certain people do and have it paid into offshore accounts where less tax etc is paid though I'd certainly choose the lesser option if I could.

A massive corporate event however, has a choice of who to go for with sponsorship.

And yes absolutely fairplay to them. I wouldn't have blamed any of those bands that disagreed for pulling out mind. I'm also open to the view that some bands may not have been aware so early and open to the fact of what Barclays meant? I will admit sometimes with things like this, I don't follow it as much so I need to be enlightened the odd time with political things but I am overall at a stand for it if that makes sense? Obviously we all don't follow everything but we all want the world to be a better place. 

To be honest, The Offspring have come off of their biggest tour for years and best album for years. Not many of the bands they had play 3rd down equivalent last year do the tour they did and certainly not from this year.

I doubt there is any chance of that. It might have been well attended, in a year reduced by 25% from the off.

Download has only been over 100k three times: last year, 2012 and 2010. 

This Download felt no less busy (or more so) than 2022, 2019, 2018 or 2017 (maybe 2017, actually, that was a quiet year). 

I can see Maiden getting booked but they aren’t going to start suddenly filling the bill with classic rock and metal bands again; this genuinely is Download 2.0 and there is far more focus on building towards the future than there has been in forever. 

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Download has only been over 100k three times: last year, 2012 and 2010. 

This Download felt no less busy (or more so) than 2022, 2019, 2018 or 2017 (maybe 2017, actually, that was a quiet year). 

I can see Maiden getting booked but they aren’t going to start suddenly filling the bill with classic rock and metal bands again; this genuinely is Download 2.0 and there is far more focus on building towards the future than there has been in forever. 

Maiden apparently are doing an arena your instead. The only way this will become Download 2.0 is because they literally have no choice due to exhausting everything else.