2025 R&L Festival

Chad888

36 minutes ago, gfa said:

Wireless sold pretty poorly - obviously not helped by two O2 dates as well.

I think she'd be a fairly weak option for the main headliner, this year has done poorly and she is weaker than any of this year's 3 main headliners I reckon.

Sabrina Carpenter is a good second one though I guess if she maintains steam.

The complete lack of an indie headliner seems very unlikely given there were 5 last year and 3 this year, i'd probably replace her with one.

Think IDLES are a very poor second one for Foos day - i guess you could argue they work well together but not really good for weekend ticket sales which have done poorly this year with 3 quite similar days vs most years (Blink / Prodigy rock day, Zeitgeist day and then Catfish / Liam indie day)

Problem with second headliners now is they’re not headliners at all. Lana

is headline size but Gerry and Catfish aren’t. FR calling then headliners is cheeky, it’s just another way they’ve watered down the strength of the lineup

1 hour ago, andyrhodes24 said:

is headline size but Gerry and Catfish aren’t. FR calling then headliners is cheeky, it’s just another way they’ve watered down the strength of the lineup

I'd argue Catfish and Gerry as sh*t as they are still do far bigger shows than IDLES (if you exclude that random glasto other stage slot)

They did the thursday of 20k truck festival!

Edited by gfa

6 minutes ago, gfa said:

I'd argue Catfish and Gerry as sh*t as they are still do far bigger shows than IDLES (if you exclude that random glasto other stage slot)

They did the thursday of 20k truck festival!

Yeah true they’re far less niche than Idles, I think all three a decent in their own ways. Idles 3rd down for me, although they did headline the other stage at Glasto didn’t they? Thursday night is a decent pull for Truck

Edited by andyrhodes24

2 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Yup not sure if they’ll keep up the 6 headliner thing, I suspect this year’s were booked pre the format change being locked in…

I think they’ll also need to downsize a bit given sales (or lack of). Theres simply too much competition now to provide a lineup that people are going to be willing to spend 350+ quid on.

Drop the price sub 300 and aim for 60-70,000 cap or so.

It will be interesting to see how busy it is on site compared to previous years, I fear the Friday (reading) esp may be v empty…

1 minute ago, Benj said:

Yup not sure if they’ll keep up the 6 headliner thing, I suspect this year’s were booked pre the format change being locked in…

I think they’ll also need to downsize a bit given sales (or lack of). Theres simply too much competition now to provide a lineup that people are going to be willing to spend 350+ quid on.

It will be interesting to see how busy it is on site compared to previous years, I fear the Friday (reading) esp may be v empty…

They can’t keep putting the price up or people just won’t come, I know it’s not just this festival but £300+ is an awful lot of money.

On paper Blink headlining is a huge win but I don’t think it’ll translate to a busy arena, at least until 7pm, which is fine by me!

1 hour ago, andyrhodes24 said:

They can’t keep putting the price up or people just won’t come, I know it’s not just this festival but £300+ is an awful lot of money.

On paper Blink headlining is a huge win but I don’t think it’ll translate to a busy arena, at least until 7pm, which is fine by me!

People have already stopped coming. 

Lana Del Rey stans have sold out the Saturday, otherwise not a single ticket has sold out at either site. 

You can’t cut the lineup in half and put up the price!  People are not that big mugs.

Something is gonna have to give

20 minutes ago, Benj said:

People have already stopped coming. 

Lana Del Rey stans have sold out the Saturday, otherwise not a single ticket has sold out at either site. 

You can’t cut the lineup in half and put up the price!  People are not that big mugs.

Something is gonna have to give

We knew this was coming when they first announced two main stages. We were going to wind up back here with higher prices and fewer stages.

Price rises have to stop somewhere. It’d be interesting to know how many £210 loyalty tickets vs £325 tickets they sold.

21 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

We knew this was coming when they first announced two main stages. We were going to wind up back here with higher prices and fewer stages.

Price rises have to stop somewhere. It’d be interesting to know how many £210 loyalty tickets vs £325 tickets they sold.

With recent inflation they’re probably no more, maybe even below 2020s proposed?

It’s terrible shrinkflation though

basically doubled in price per act in exchange for Gerry Cinnamon and Catfish 🤣

Kasabian seem the obvious shout for an indie headliner if they aren’t doing Glasto following their secret set there this year. 

As for other rock headliners, Foos must be nailed on and I wouldn’t be surprised to see YUNGBLUD as one of the three clearly smaller ‘headliners’. 

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Kasabian seem the obvious shout for an indie headliner if they aren’t doing Glasto following their secret set there this year. 

As for other rock headliners, Foos must be nailed on and I wouldn’t be surprised to see YUNGBLUD as one of the three clearly smaller ‘headliners’. 

Makes sense, Kasabian day would likely need a bigger second. 

Yungblud would be perfect for the Foos day. 

how did his own fest sell / go down in the end?

Edited by Benj

12 minutes ago, Benj said:

I’m sure I read somewhere he sold about 35-40k tickets which is decent going for a first time thing. 

15 hours ago, Benj said:

You have to remember that for all the people that can't afford or won't pay 325, plenty will, and those people paying the excess make up lost sales; not to mention the tiered day ticket system meaning people who bought Sunday late are paying 75% more than those who bought early.

It's really sh*tty, obviously, and it's definitely already going to have priced out people with less spare cash. But those who pay are funding those who haven't. You're not gonna see a price drop on L&R when this kind of thing is in place. They don't need to sell out, they just need the overall revenue, and people who can spend 325 on weekend tickets and 175 on day tickets can also probably buy more 7.50 pints. 

23 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

You have to remember that for all the people that can't afford or won't pay 325, plenty will, and those people paying the excess make up lost sales; not to mention the tiered day ticket system meaning people who bought Sunday late are paying 75% more than those who bought early.

It's really sh*tty, obviously, and it's definitely already going to have priced out people with less spare cash. But those who pay are funding those who haven't. You're not gonna see a price drop on L&R when this kind of thing is in place. They don't need to sell out, they just need the overall revenue, and people who can spend 325 on weekend tickets and 175 on day tickets can also probably buy more 7.50 pints. 

The next week is going to be mad in the resale market. I bought my weekend ticket last week at £195, saw one in July at £166!

10 hours ago, Benj said:

i think twenty-one pilots are likely, could see them headlining and kasabian underneath as im not sure 21pilots can carry a headline position by themselves

16 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Yeah true they’re far less niche than Idles, I think all three a decent in their own ways. Idles 3rd down for me, although they did headline the other stage at Glasto didn’t they? Thursday night is a decent pull for Truck

The glasto slot was a bump up, although would argue truck did well to get them in that slot given Wet Leg headlined the saturday - surely they aren't bigger!

10 hours ago, Benj said:

Kasabian would be the bigger second I think, they aren't main headliner level at the moment but are continuing to regain steam

10 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I’m sure I read somewhere he sold about 35-40k tickets which is decent going for a first time thing. 

Has he done any other shows this summer though?

I think next time he plays he will probably be the second sub - but surely this is comparable to say the Fontaines Finsbury park (albeit in a harder to sell location)

12 minutes ago, gfa said:

The glasto slot was a bump up, although would argue truck did well to get them in that slot given Wet Leg headlined the saturday - surely they aren't bigger!

Kasabian would be the bigger second I think, they aren't main headliner level at the moment but are continuing to regain steam

Has he done any other shows this summer though?

I think next time he plays he will probably be the second sub - but surely this is comparable to say the Fontaines Finsbury park (albeit in a harder to sell location)

Find it wild that Wet Leg are headlining anything, I forgot they existed after their year in the spotlight!

2 hours ago, BenG92 said:

Yup, there’s obv a point where it’s better to sell ~85% of tickets at 350, than all at £300 (esp with other savings on staff, fending etc, balanced somewhat the other way by less bar takings etc)

It’s when they fall below that 85% that they start losing money. Are they there yet?  We’ll find out next year I guess.

7 minutes ago, Benj said:

Yup, there’s obv a point where it’s better to sell ~85% of tickets at 350, than all at £300 (esp with other savings on staff, fending etc, balanced somewhat the other way by less bar takings etc)

It’s when they fall below that 85% that they start losing money. Are they there yet?  We’ll find out next year I guess.

Interesting thought is the extra £50 is going to price out younger people who won't spend £££ at the bar, but less likely to have an impact on older people maybe

55 minutes ago, gfa said:

Interesting thought is the extra £50 is going to price out younger people who won't spend £££ at the bar, but less likely to have an impact on older people maybe

Yup…

…but they’re not selling 70-80,000 tickets to boomers anytime soon and can no longer put together a lineup that appeals to all.

So where do they go?

This may be it, maybe they’re making a decent profit on what they’ve sold with this lineup. 

Ultimately for us punters this latest re-jig is just another shrinkflation effort. Another stage gone, deleting the slight increase in choice offered by having a competing second stage again, whcih doesn’t really offer an alternative, unless you’re into the limited genres it hosts .

9 minutes ago, Benj said:

Yup…

…but they’re not selling 70-80,000 tickets to boomers anytime soon and can no longer put together a lineup that appeals to all.

So where do they go?

This may be it, maybe they’re making a decent profit on what they’ve sold with this lineup. 

Ultimately for us punters this latest re-jig is just another shrinkflation effort. Another stage gone, deleting the slight increase in choice offered by having a competing second stage again, whcih doesn’t really offer an alternative, unless you’re into the limited genres it hosts .

I usually have between 20-30 acts I want to see, this year is 23 which isn’t bad for me at all. No clashes either besides Blink/Prodigy, what we’re they thinking?

39 minutes ago, Lawsie said:

21 Pilots x Kasabian ~ Bicep (Live) 

Foo Fighters x Paramore ~ Justice     

Eminem x Chase & Status (Live) ~ Disclosure 

There's no way Disclosure have moved down to the tent since they last played

-------

Think all of these with one proper indie band are just unrealistic given recent years (not counting Foos, they aren't that popular with the dark fruits, 16-21 crowd)