2025 R&L Festival

Chad888

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

It not £400, it’s £320-30. 

Sorry always have 400 in my head, Inc getting there and back.

Answer the question though….Why are people still going to choose Reading / Leeds over the other options in this day and age, when they offer more for less? 

Boardies is nearly sold out, -t its most expensive tier, and is still a 15% cheaper option than Reading with travel included and 5 more stages!

Parklife may be struggling too to be fair, no idea if they were planning tiers or not.

The fact that after reducing camping numbers last year, offering up to 30% off tickets to try and get people back this, they’ve not dared raise the prices, does not bode well. 

When mugs like me, who’ve been conned into going back realise that it’s another busted format, with EVEN LESS acts to see, who’ll be going next year?

When is the downward cycle going to stop?

(good to see the Gallagher day is better in Leeds, still Tier one in Reading though)

1 hour ago, Benj said:

Answer the question though….Why are people still going to choose Reading / Leeds over the other options in this day and age, when they offer more for less? 

Boardies is nearly sold out, -t its most expensive tier, and is still a 15% cheaper option than Reading with travel included and 5 more stages!

Parklife may be struggling too to be fair, no idea if they were planning tiers or not.

The fact that after reducing camping numbers last year, offering up to 30% off tickets to try and get people back this, they’ve not dared raise the prices, does not bode well. 

When mugs like me, who’ve been conned into going back realise that it’s another busted format, with EVEN LESS acts to see, who’ll be going next year?

(good to see the Gallagher day is better in Leeds, still Tier one in Reading though)

Can’t even go to a festival without someone claiming it costs £400 now because of woke. 

9 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Can’t even go to a festival without someone claiming it costs £400 now because of woke. 

Avoidance noted…

On 6/7/2024 at 8:18 PM, Benj said:

Firstly Boardies is so far away from anything else, secondly they have booked exactly their target audience but genre mixed.....school leavers etc, the young lot loving the D&B, thirdly their lineup isn't as big as Reading so it won't be as expensive. I do however think Stormzy, Chase and Fender would do well at Reading but Reading have had two recently.

1 hour ago, northernangel said:

Firstly Boardies is so far away from anything else, secondly they have booked exactly their target audience but genre mixed.....school leavers etc, the young lot loving the D&B, thirdly their lineup isn't as big as Reading so it won't be as expensive. I do however think Stormzy, Chase and Fender would do well at Reading but Reading have had two recently.

Yup. A bitch to get to. A less ‘big’ lineup… Yet it’s selling out and most importantly growing, the capacity is up again this year.

Admittedly that capacity is still only 75% of Leeds but Leeds was half empty last year, with a “Bigger” line up of Fender, Eilish and Killers (and the other “big” names), while Boardmasters sold out

People seemingly prefer a festival with a bigger line up than big artists. Choice and being able to see something you like, easily beats a big name you’re not actually all that interested in.

It’s the whole Glastonbury argument. “There’s so much more to see and do outside of the Pyramid stage.”

At Reading now it’s the opposite. Don’t like the “big” artist on the main stage and not into dance music? Tough tits, thanks for spending as much as a Glastonbury ticket for the pleasure though.

When the only valid reason you can find to go to a music festival is that it’s not that hard to get to, it’s probably not actually worth making that convenient trip…

People are willing to travel to Glastonbury and Boardmasters. They seem to be less and less keen to travel to Branham park and Little John’s farm

Edited by Benj

1 hour ago, Benj said:

Yup. A bitch to get to. A less ‘big’ lineup… Yet it’s selling out and most importantly growing, the capacity is up again this year.

Admittedly that capacity is still only 75% of Leeds but Leeds was half empty last year, with a “Bigger” line up of Fender, Eilish and Killers (and the other “big” names), while Boardmasters sold out

People seemingly prefer a festival with a bigger line up than big artists. Choice and being able to see something you like, easily beats a big name you’re not actually all that interested in.

It’s the whole Glastonbury argument. “There’s so much more to see and do outside of the Pyramid stage.”

At Reading now it’s the opposite. Don’t like the “big” artist on the main stage and not into dance music? Tough tits, thanks for spending as much as a Glastonbury ticket for the pleasure though.

When the only valid reason you can find to go to a music festival is that it’s not that hard to get to, it’s probably not actually worth making that convenient trip…

People are willing to travel to Glastonbury and Boardmasters. They seem to be less and less keen to travel to Branham park and Little John’s farm

Thing is the people on Devon and Cornwall have a massive distance to travel for anything else 

6 hours ago, northernangel said:

Thing is the people on Devon and Cornwall have a massive distance to travel for anything else 

Not to Glastonbury they don’t

Reading is a direct 2 hour train journey from Exeter. Newquay is 2 hours on a bus. 

Edited by Benj

2 hours ago, Benj said:

Not to Glastonbury they don’t

Reading is a direct 2 hour train journey from Exeter. Newquay is 2 hours on a bus. 

To a festival that sells out very quick no problem? Who ideally wants to drag everything on to a train or bus? I did Reading on a bus one time, it was sh*t! The only reason we got a bit lucky was my sister was driving down separately with the drinks etc with her for us to go collect.

I categorically would not travel to any festival again after that...this was like 08 or 09 again by public transport for 3 days.

12 minutes ago, northernangel said:

To a festival that sells out very quick no problem? Who ideally wants to drag everything on to a train or bus? I did Reading on a bus one time, it was sh*t! The only reason we got a bit lucky was my sister was driving down separately with the drinks etc with her for us to go collect.

I categorically would not travel to any festival again after that...this was like 08 or 09 again by public transport for 3 days.

Thousands of people take the train. Reading must be one of the easiest festivals to do on Public transport.

I imagine the shuttle bus from town helps a lot now re supplies, it’s always chocka leaving the Sainburys in town

im bored of the arguments...

SO

im genuinely curious at what people think will happen next year so lets get back to the important stuff.

realistic 2025 headliners/sub-headliners...hit me

ill begin (assuming its 3 headliners)

Foo Fighters

Dua Lipa

BMTH

11 hours ago, tomarchbold said:

im bored of the arguments...

SO

im genuinely curious at what people think will happen next year so lets get back to the important stuff.

realistic 2025 headliners/sub-headliners...hit me

ill begin (assuming its 3 headliners)

Foo Fighters

Dua Lipa

BMTH

I think it's a good shout but that Dua Lipa say I think with be a co-headliner with a DJ closing. You only have to look at ticket sales for LDR and Fred Again to see what what the Reading crowd want and Lana is known for turning up late....but that doesn't mean their phone camera's can't be turned on late.

2 hours ago, northernangel said:

I think it's a good shout but that Dua Lipa say I think with be a co-headliner with a DJ closing. You only have to look at ticket sales for LDR and Fred Again to see what what the Reading crowd want and Lana is known for turning up late....but that doesn't mean their phone camera's can't be turned on late.

I cant see a DJ big enough to headline over Dua, the only ones coming to mind are Calvin Harris or Chase & Status but im not sure they would agree to a coheadline

2 hours ago, nathanh said:

I cant see a DJ big enough to headline over Dua, the only ones coming to mind are Calvin Harris or Chase & Status but im not sure they would agree to a coheadline

Well LDR has sold out BST with ease, something that Dua Lipa has not. She also sold out an arena tour with ease, something Dua Lipa has not and yet Fred Again is playing over her. Dua Lipa is not as huge as world makes her look.

7 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Well LDR has sold out BST with ease, something that Dua Lipa has not. She also sold out an arena tour with ease, something Dua Lipa has not and yet Fred Again is playing over her. Dua Lipa is not as huge as world makes her look.

Sure maybe its not the size of Dua thats the issue but the other DJs mentioned & Dua would undoubtedly be pretty expensive I'd imagine

11 minutes ago, nathanh said:

Sure maybe its not the size of Dua thats the issue but the other DJs mentioned & Dua would undoubtedly be pretty expensive I'd imagine

I can't see Dua Lipa being that expensive. I guess Foos, Dua Lipa and BMTH would do well probably themselves ticket wise. I'd be very confident of one of them being Dua Lipa and FF are due a return and I don't believe Glastonbury will get that return. They've got Olivia, Dave and Fender sitting right there if they want them but that will just turn into a Reading crowd at Glastonbury but that's what Emily wants.

I can see Noah Kahan and a DJ co-headlining as someone said above about dua...maybe something like this:

Fri = Foo Fighters 

Sat = Chase & Status/Noah Kahan

Sun = Dua Lipa

i think noah kahan is a solid shout for 2025, he just isnt big enough to headline by himself in my opinion and he certainly isnt a sub-headliner. im thinking of a 2019 headliner sort of thing

YB as the biggest sub headliner i think is a guarantee, similar slot to Raye this year because his 2025 is going to be stellar and ive got a feeling (and hope) that Turnstile will sub next year, would be a good sub on foos day

21 minutes ago, tomarchbold said:

I can see Noah Kahan and a DJ co-headlining as someone said above about dua...maybe something like this:

Fri = Foo Fighters 

Sun = Dua Lipa

i think noah kahan is a solid shout for 2025, he just isnt big enough to headline by himself in my opinion and he certainly isnt a sub-headliner. im thinking of a 2019 headliner sort of thing

YB as the biggest sub headliner i think is a guarantee, similar slot to Raye this year because his 2025 is going to be stellar and ive got a feeling (and hope) that Turnstile will sub next year, would be a good sub on foos day

That’s a weird old combo that I can’t see shifting many weekend tickets

Can see it happening. Just not shifting many weekend tickets

40 minutes ago, Benj said:

That’s a weird old combo that I can’t see shifting many weekend tickets

Can see it happening. Just not shifting many weekend tickets

im not trying to create a matching combo, im going from the mindset of 4 headliners of different genres as thats what they seem to do with the big names. look at the 6 headliners this year, pop (LDR) + punk (blink) + acoustic folk-rock (gerry + liam gallagher) + house/techno/pop (fred again) + indie (catfish). 

out of the 6, only two seem to match genre, they want to cater to as many genres as possible. it isnt a genre-specific fest

my attempt with the chase&status + noah kahan shout was 2 people who arent big enough to headline themselves but as two headliners together on a day (assuming theyre moving to single headliners again) are big enough 🙂

1 hour ago, tomarchbold said:

im not trying to create a matching combo, im going from the mindset of 4 headliners of different genres as thats what they seem to do with the big names. look at the 6 headliners this year, pop (LDR) + punk (blink) + acoustic folk-rock (gerry + liam gallagher) + house/techno/pop (fred again) + indie (catfish). 

out of the 6, only two seem to match genre, they want to cater to as many genres as possible. it isnt a genre-specific fest

my attempt with the chase&status + noah kahan shout was 2 people who arent big enough to headline themselves but as two headliners together on a day (assuming theyre moving to single headliners again) are big enough 🙂

I know, hence saying I can see it happening.

I’m just saying it won’t sell many weekend tickets, like last years and this one hasn’t.

Differing genres without a varied undercard of value, does not sell weekend tickets

7 hours ago, tomarchbold said:

Fri = Foo Fighters 

Sun = Dua Lipa

I'd be willing to be Friday and Saturday will sell before Sunday.

I am a fan on YungBlud, but why do people keep suggesting 2025 will be massive for him. Have you heard a new album that hasn't been released yet? He is fairly big now and to be honest, don't see him appealing to a much bigger audience. 

32 minutes ago, 19liam75 said:

I am a fan on YungBlud, but why do people keep suggesting 2025 will be massive for him. Have you heard a new album that hasn't been released yet? He is fairly big now and to be honest, don't see him appealing to a much bigger audience. 

To be honest for Yungblud, if MK Bowl isn't big for him I'm not sure what is.