2025 R&L Festival

Chad888

an edit of my previous lineup a week or so ago. (again just having fun, dont take life too serious)

FRIDAY:

MAIN STAGE - foo fighters/ noah kahan / yungblud / chappel roan / olivia dean / English teacher

CHEVRON - charlie xcx / sammy virji

R1 - pink pantheress

FR - cassyette

SATURDAY:

MAIN STAGE - chase & status (live) / kasabian / gracie abrams / the vaccines / royal otis / sea girls

CHEVRON -  rudimental / camelphat

R1 - girl in red

FR - knocked loose

SUNDAY:

MAIN STAGE - doja cat / twenty-one pilots / sabrina carpenter / rex orange county / benson boone

CHEVRON -  bicep (live) / shy fx 

R1 - turnstile

FR - cat burns

Surely they will change the chevron stage for 2025 with all the sound issues at reading. I think they need to enclose it to stop sound being heard on main stage. I'd also like them to rebrand it to include more bands too - apparently the wombats played the chevron at Leeds rather than the R1 tent at Reading which I imagine was great. 

To be honest I kind of miss the dual main stage a little bit. So many main stage campers this year just waiting bored at the front through each act waiting for the headliner.

Also with 1 main stage too it means there is a shorter time to set up between acts which I think caused problems for the headliners especially. Lanas set was apparently still being built when she was meant to be on and Catfish had issues with the guitar.

31 minutes ago, p0sterb0y said:

Surely they will change the chevron stage for 2025 with all the sound issues at reading. I think they need to enclose it to stop sound being heard on main stage. I'd also like them to rebrand it to include more bands too - apparently the wombats played the chevron at Leeds rather than the R1 tent at Reading which I imagine was great. 

To be honest I kind of miss the dual main stage a little bit. So many main stage campers this year just waiting bored at the front through each act waiting for the headliner.

Also with 1 main stage too it means there is a shorter time to set up between acts which I think caused problems for the headliners especially. Lanas set was apparently still being built when she was meant to be on and Catfish had issues with the guitar.

I imagine they drop the six headliners for next year or announce that the six headliners are the three main stage and three Chevron headliners in future. The festival has gone out saying that the fest sold so well this year was because of the Chevron and primarily want to still appeal massively to the 16-21 age range, but know that they will need to be able to ensure that they still appeal to previous attendees even if it is just on day tickets as they will have more disposable income.

I think the future push is going to be try to get when possible a very big pop/hip-hop/electronic headliner, an alternative headliner - rock/pop-punk/alternative - and an indie headliner for main. While trying to get whatever 3 Chevron headliners they can that can appeal to pop, electronic, dance and hip-hop fans.

That way they can fill the Chevron with younger weekend ticket holders and try to appeal to older fans with day tickets for a decent mainstage run with 3/4 acts that appeal along with the headliner. Then they will have smatterings of everything over the Radio 1 and Festival Republic tent, so that there are lots of alternative options.

2025 will be the year we see the number of headliners drop. I'm convinced this years headliners were booked before they decided MSW was now going to be Chevron. Going to need to be fairly big names along with maybe one night of coheadliners to make the newer festival goers feel like they arent missing out on anything

Said to my group yesterday whilst watching 21 Savage that you can see why some rappers, namely Post Malone, constantly gets booked and some come and go and its because they actually put on a show and appreciate the stage they are on unlike "Very special guest" DJ Marc B featuring 21 Savage. Maybe it will be the return of Post to appease the rap fans and this current wave of country love

How big actually is the Chevron?

I didn't make it out this year - how did it handle crowds.

Post a few above me suggests Bicep Live against Paramore inside it, surely Bicep would be absolutely heaving to a dangerous extent.

I'd also question Charli XCX in there if she maintains momentum against the rock band

27 minutes ago, gfa said:

Post a few above me suggests Bicep Live against Paramore inside it, surely Bicep would be absolutely heaving to a dangerous extent.

I'd also question Charli XCX in there if she maintains momentum against the rock band

It’s massive. The Prodigy’s crowd was spilling out the back and the sides and we stood on one of them and you could still hear perfectly and see all of the cool visuals etc. 

31 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

It’s massive. The Prodigy’s crowd was spilling out the back and the sides and we stood on one of them and you could still hear perfectly and see all of the cool visuals etc. 

Cheers - just wanted to check

Bicep should avoid R&L to get headline slots elsewhere imo with their live show rather than do a second stage slot at reading - however they love to tour heaps so probably unlikely

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Melv said 40,000 capacity in the NME last week but that surely can’t be a fixed number outdoors.

It was rammed for The Prodigy, I was stood just underneath the side of the canopy and it took me a good five minutes to get out midway through.

5 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Eminem, Chase & Status, Foo Fighters. 

This is a very Reading trio - but would be surprised if theres nobody female given theres a fair bit of choice next year

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

This is a very Reading trio - but would be surprised if theres nobody female given theres a fair bit of choice next year

Yeah, I did think after posting it’s lacking in a female headliner. 

I guess Chase & Status could go on the Chevron but after Fred this year, I wouldn’t be shocked to see them get the very top billing. They’d go down so well. 

Edited by Andre91

15 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Even this year the main three headliners have been one indie, one rock, one pop. Still can’t see that changing personally

I can’t see many indie bands who it could be. Kasabian? The Strokes?

35 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I can’t see many indie bands who it could be. Kasabian? The Strokes?

Yeah I don’t think there’s anyone ready to step up as a new indie headliner just yet. I could see:

Foos / Kasabian

Post Malone / Machine Gun Kelly

Sam Fender / Bicep

The days were a lot more defined this year which was decent. If they had a dance act as the second headliner it’d put question marks on the chevron, there’s be no point splitting the audience but you can’t shut it at 7pm. Maybe replace MGK for Olivia Rodrigo, she’d draw some crowd based on this year.

Edited by andyrhodes24

4 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Melv said 40,000 capacity in the NME last week but that surely can’t be a fixed number outdoors.

It was rammed for The Prodigy, I was stood just underneath the side of the canopy and it took me a good five minutes to get out midway through.

Do you think that if you stood roughly equidistant between the two stages that there'd have felt like a Blink v Prodigy battle of the bands?

24 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Do you think that if you stood roughly equidistant between the two stages that there'd have felt like a Blink v Prodigy battle of the bands?

Strangely I couldn’t hear the prodigy at all at Blink, or indeed Skrillex at Liam…

It seemed to vary a lot, Sonny Federa/ Lana Del Rey was deffo the worst. Astoundingly loud bass noise