2025 R&L Festival

Chad888

14 hours ago, OddRon said:

Someone in the glasto thread mentioned that Chapelle is exclusive to R+L, has that been discussed on here? Only post I can see is the one that mentions her and Hozier

Whilst I'd love to see Dave and hes my favourite comedian, I don't think the R&L kids will approve.

36 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Chapell headlining headlining Reading already is a little poor I think but I can see her being the second one down as Glastonbury wouldn't have offered above 3rd so makes sense.

If they’ve got her on an exclusive meaning she gets a break from all the sh*t until August too then it’s a very good booking all round.  She’ll sell her day massively well too (it’ll certainly sell out).  

On 10/15/2024 at 5:44 PM, charlierc said:

I thought it was over 50k tbh.

Certainly for some reason I thought more were there when I saw Arctic Monkeys there in 2014. But apparently that was 40,000 a night. Though in retrospect I think they could've done Wembley on that tour cycle and might have preferred it given I don't especially like Finsbury's acoustics.

They didn't like doing stadiums until very recently, they could have done Wembley in 2007 if they wanted to.

16 hours ago, Chad888 said:

I'm completely out of touch with modern music, half the names being bandied about in aghast they're now headlining size (even if they aren't, but are still in discussion).

Since 2021s return, and the start of 6 HLs, we've had 4 years now, and they seem to fit a certain flow, so it does some to follow a pattern which can be used to predict.

Older Indie:

Liam Gallagher > Arctic Monkeys > Foals > Liam Gallagher

Newer Indie/rock:

Catfish atB > Bring me the Horizon > Sam Fender > Catfish atB

Older Rock:

QOTSA > Rage Against the Machine > The Killers > Blink 1

US Chart:

Post Malone > Megan the Stalion > Billie Eilish > Lana Del Ray

UK chart

Stormzy > Dave > 1975 > Fred Again

Random filler:

Disclosure > Halsey > Imagine Dragon > Gerry Cinnemon

So maybe:

Olivia Rodrigo (US chart)

Foo Fighters (Old Rock)

Strokes (Old Indie)

Central Cee (Brit Chart)

Hozier (Newer Indie)

Chase & Status (Random filler)

This simplifies it far too much

15 hours ago, OddRon said:

Someone in the glasto thread mentioned that Chapelle is exclusive to R+L, has that been discussed on here? Only post I can see is the one that mentions her and Hozier

That's from here and has come back straight back, with Chappell now being exclusive for some reason I swear.

Might be one to double check..

EDIT: Just read up, seems legit.

Edited by gfa

At the risk of being that old fuddy-duddy, I like my headliners with a little more material under their wings before they get the top spot - or co-headline spot.

But I can't deny, at least in America, CR is very much the "it" thing for those who couldn't get to The Eras Tour, at least when it comes to live event moments.

53 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

At the risk of being that old fuddy-duddy, I like my headliners with a little more material under their wings before they get the top spot - or co-headline spot.

But I can't deny, at least in America, CR is very much the "it" thing for those who couldn't get to The Eras Tour, at least when it comes to live event moments.

I found getting Taylor and Sabrina tickets far easier than Chappell. When I tried for London there were 50,000 people in front of me for a 4000 person venue, didn’t stand a chance. In some ways, having only done a short limited academy tour has only driven demand in the UK for her to perform. 

1 minute ago, OddRon said:

I found getting Taylor and Sabrina tickets far easier than Chappell. When I tried for London there were 50,000 people in front of me for a 4000 person venue, didn’t stand a chance. In some ways, having only done a short limited academy tour has only driven demand in the UK for her to perform. 

I think it absolutely has, though at the same time, it can come down to sheer volume available. In the case of the first two - though demand may be higher, of course! - there was plenty more to go around.

CR has blown up in a way that I think few predicted. It fascinates me in an social ornithological sense; like how certain trends can lead to mass migration towards that musical destination.

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Weird take this - just two popstars lol

Just now, northernangel said:

I agree that's a bit weird, I wouldn't go to Chappell because I couldn't get Taylor tickets. 

No, I didn't mean it like that, sorry. Don't think I particularly nailed what I was trying to say.

It's more that both are obviously immensely popular as in "it" things right now - CR arguably more so, given TS has been going longer - and they tend to always sweep up the draw together. From my experience, people hyped for one "it" thing tend to go searching for the next too.

I was trying to suggest there was likely to be a lot of crossover between buyers, aided in part by their massive pop-culture cache and explosion at this juncture in time.

16 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

No, I didn't mean it like that, sorry. Don't think I particularly nailed what I was trying to say.

It's more that both are obviously immensely popular as in "it" things right now - CR arguably more so, given TS has been going longer - and they tend to always sweep up the draw together. From my experience, people hyped for one "it" thing tend to go searching for the next too.

I was trying to suggest there was likely to be a lot of crossover between buyers, aided in part by their massive pop-culture cache and explosion at this juncture in time.

I get what you're saying. I wouldn't say Taylor is an 'it' thing though. She's been around a fair while  compared to Chappell.

7 hours ago, Suprefan said:

if she is exclusive then she is probably headlining. And that mock with her third to twenty one pilots of all bands is an insult in a sense. 

In all fairness, I did that prediction before the exclusive rumours. However, I'd still say that an R&L 'exclusive special guest' third down slot wouldn't be too farfetched. 

7 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Chappell Roan headlining would be such a brilliant booking.

Deffo a back to brave, pioneering Reading Booking as opposed to putting Liam Gallagher and Catfish on again

4 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Nah, an hour of excitement and something new is 100x better than watching Foo fighters or Greenday go through the motions…again

6 hours ago, gfa said:

They didn't like doing stadiums until very recently, they could have done Wembley in 2007 if they wanted to.

They did Manchester Old Trafford in 2007, so had a first taste of the stadium show then. But maybe they felt their work after that wasn't quite as stadium-friendly or just decided not to feel like doing it.

Tbf this ethos is why I was surprised at the U-turn and choice to do a big stadium tour last summer.

Yeah that’s what I’m wondering, with Hozier and Chappell, they’re gonna need someone to placate people that prefer traditional R+L bands and also people that are going for rap and dance music. Regardless of how I personally feel about them, this year struck a good balance of that with at least one headliner for each major demographic. 

If Chappell is the Lana for this year, who is going to be our LG, Blink, Catfish and Fred Agains? (Hozier doesn't really fit into any particular category and is surely one of the folkiest headliners the festival would have had in recent memory)

5 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

There is 100% crossover but not because of the reason you initially suggested (Chappell being 2nd choice for people who couldn't get eras tickets)

4 hours ago, northernangel said:

I get what you're saying. I wouldn't say Taylor is an 'it' thing though. She's been around a fair while  compared to Chappell.

TS is an 'it' thing while on this eras tour - so many people i know who previously didn't care seem to love her now, want tickets etc. She's been the biggest act in the world for about 2 years or so now, hard not to be an 'it' thing when your like that

21 minutes ago, OddRon said:

Yeah that’s what I’m wondering, with Hozier and Chappell, they’re gonna need someone to placate people that prefer traditional R+L bands and also people that are going for rap and dance music. Regardless of how I personally feel about them, this year struck a good balance of that with at least one headliner for each major demographic. 

If Chappell is the Lana for this year, who is going to be our LG, Blink, Catfish and Fred Agains? (Hozier doesn't really fit into any particular category and is surely one of the folkiest headliners the festival would have had in recent memory)

i think an emimem/foos would take that sort of slot. i also think chase & status does have that feel as well, despite the recent resurgance

Edited by tomarchbold