SZA

gherkin8r

27 minutes ago, km9 said:

Sorry if this has already been said, but imagine the outrage if a male headline act sung the lyrics "I might kill me ex".

Can we retrospectively cancel Johnny Cash for singing about murder, please? And lets not have that nasty Nick Cave back for heaven's sake 

edited, damn - beaten to it by @M42

Edited by Mardy
too slow, damn these fat fingers

Just now, Mardy said:

Can we retrospectively cancel Johnny Cash for singing about murder, please? And lets not have that nasty Nick Cave back for heaven's sake 

It’s fine because they are white it seems.

Serious micro-aggressions on display if  “violence” is a reason try and slam the SZA booking. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mardy said:

edited, damn - beaten to it by @M42

And Tom Jones😉 ha ha ha ha 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

Thr lyrics aren't great, saying she might kill her ex and his new partner cos she's jealous. With all the focus on domestic violence (thankfully) its not a great look. I think anyone who sings lyrics like this should, and does, get called out regardless of sex or colour. I totally appreciate that plenty of singers in the past have glorified violence in their lyrics, from rock music to rap music (which has also been particularly bad for extreme misogyny) so I don't think we need to go over the top on one person but I think we can still have concerns about lyrics like this when she has so many young fans. That's my money's worth 😉

Edited by kpins
Correction

2 minutes ago, kpins said:

Thr lyrics aren't great, saying she might kill her ex and his new partner cos she's jealous. With all the focus on domestic violence (thankfully) its not a great look. I think anyone who sings lyrics like this should, and does, get called out regardless of sex or colour. I totally appreciate that plenty of singers in the past have glorified violence in their lyrics, from rock music to rap music (which has also been particularly bad for extreme misogyny) so I don't think we need to go over the top on one person but I think we can still have concerns about lyrics like this when she has so many young fans. That's my money's worth 😉

Sensible reply. Thank you 

2 hours ago, Talcroft said:

We binning Smack my B1tch Up then as well? 

(Still not a Sza fan but this is a proper non-argument) 

You're missing the point. My point was that some sections of the media or public have a problem with lyrics such as smack my bitch up, baby it's cold outside etc, yet we have songs being released now with much more explicitly violent lyrics, which seems to be fine 

47 minutes ago, km9 said:

You're missing the point. My point was that some sections of the media or public have a problem with lyrics such as smack my bitch up, baby it's cold outside etc, yet we have songs being released now with much more explicitly violent lyrics, which seems to be fine 

I know, I'm being facetious. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2024 at 4:33 AM, NorthernSoul52 said:

On another note, in an opinion piece carrying the air of "contrary opinion" and a few mistakes here and there, The I's Emily Baker reckons that SZA is the only exciting slam dunk of the three.

https://inews.co.uk/culture/music/pop-stars-dont-respect-glastonbury-2956345

Interesting article... how realistic is it though that forthcoming headliners will bring a unique show to Glasto? 

It's a bloody song FFS...why do people have to micro manage everything they see or hear...your making your lives and the world a f**king minefield.. Just get on with it..

• Upvote 1

Just now, guypjfreak said:

It's a bloody song FFS...why do people have to micro manage everything they see or hear...your making your lives and the world a f**king minefield.. Just get on with it..

Just to be clear, I'm pretty sure everyone here is saying the same thing

18 hours ago, km9 said:

Sorry if this has already been said, but imagine the outrage if a male headline act sung the lyrics "I might kill me ex".

By that extension, any piece of art with a violent theme should be scrutinised and possibly cancelled.  That's thousands of books, huge swathes of paintings and sculpture, all horror/murder mystery/crime podcasts, films and TV series and quite a lot of music.

Grow up.  It's fictional.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, HH46810 said:

Can still buy tickets for Hyde Park when you had Lana selling it out very quickly last year. Not a good look

To be fair that’s not exactly a fair comparison, it was Lana’s first UK date in 4 years & she rarely tours. 

Sza is doing it off the back of a massive tour last year that included 4 sold out nights at the 02. 

58 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

By that extension, any piece of art with a violent theme should be scrutinised and possibly cancelled.  That's thousands of books, huge swathes of paintings and sculpture, all horror/murder mystery/crime podcasts, films and TV series and quite a lot of music.

Grow up.  It's fictional.

That is my point! It's happening 

• Like 1