SZA

gherkin8r

34 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Well it's essentially a demographic referendum on the quality of whats on at a given time. Vote with feet and all that.

It was a historically bad turn out.

To hand wave that away as people being obsessed with crowd sizes is disingenuous at best or an intentionally bad faith argument at worst.

Yeah, but if we're building a program out of crowd sizes, we'll end up with Isle of Wight in no time (Keane, Avril, TDCC, Kasabian, Bloc Party and Sugababes). 

Just now, matrainertje said:

Yeah, but if we're building a program out of crowd sizes, we'll end up with Isle of Wight in no time (Keane, Avril, TDCC, Kasabian, Bloc Party and Sugababes). 

Its just the pyramid headliner that should be obliged to draw the big number IMO.

The rest of it is fair game and for unearthing hidden gems.

1 hour ago, Colorblindjames said:

SZA was incredible. Better than her recent Porto set. Anyone saying she shouldn’t have headlined really needs to catch themselves on. Glastonbury needs to cover every demographic not just dad bands. 

But there's only three slots at the very top and I think most of the confusion comes from her being a very unknown artist in the UK, not the fact that she's not very good at what she does. I don't think anyone's having a pop at her not being a dad band. Whatever the heck that is. Aren't women allowed to like certain types of music?

4 minutes ago, matrainertje said:

But IOW have a lot of bands that have recently or played this year at Glastonbury? What's so bad about putting the most popular acts in terms of footfall on to the field that can comfortably house the most feet?!

10 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Lot of ageist posts on the forum this week, disparaging both older fans and older musicians. Particularly male ones.

Bizarre.

Probably a response to all the stuck in their ways men of a certain age who think that if *they* haven’t heard of something it must be awful. 

It's worth noting that other headliners who've pulled medium sized crowds (Kendrick Lamar, Radiohead, Metallica to name a few) have absolutely been given the headline slot because of their catalogue/status as a heritage act (RH, Metallica), or are one of the biggest stars at the moment (KL).

SZA unfortunately doesn't fit into either of these sections. 

3 minutes ago, kugglaw said:

Probably a response to all the stuck in their ways men of a certain age who think that if *they* haven’t heard of something it must be awful. 

How do they know the age or gender of all these posters?

The information doest seem readily available bar someones profile photo if they happen to use themselves in it.

Like I cant tell who or what you are from your profile, so wouldnt draw any inference otherwise.

I think the dice is loaded with some of these folks, and it's easier for them to label you a dinosaur than debate. 

They play the man (no pun intended) and not the ball.

4 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

How do they know the age or gender of all these posters?

The information doest seem readily available bar someones profile photo if they happen to use themselves in it.

Like I cant tell who or what you are from your profile, so wouldnt draw any inference otherwise.

I think the dice is loaded with some of these folks, and it's easier for them to label you a dinosaur than debate. 

They play the man (no pun intended) and not the ball.

I think why does it have you so rattled is the more pressing question.

Need a big headliner for Sunday going forward, you don't want to give punters an excuse to leave early. Or perhaps a familiar dance/electronic act, Orbital/Chems/Norman/Groove Armada/Failthless/Nile Rogers... You need a final party to go out on and keep people there. Need to go out on a high!

.. when did Fat Boy Slim last play one of the bigger stages?

1 minute ago, dingbat2 said:

Need a big headliner for Sunday going forward, you don't want to give punters an excuse to leave early. Or perhaps a familiar dance/electronic act, Orbital/Chems/Norman/Groove Armada/Failthless/Nile Rogers... You need a final party to go out on and keep people there. Need to go out on a high!

Thats a good shout, or at least if you are going to gamble on a SZA, it should on Friday when people are in the highest of spirits and full of energy.

3 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

They'd be mad not to try for Madonna if they think they can get her though. The knock on effect of not getting her made the whole thing look weaker and led to daft clashes like Idles/ Fontaines.

It's the biggest festival in the world and while it doesn't pay much it can still get amazing lineups. Foo Fighters played 3rd down last year out of choice. Killers secret set the other year too. The pool of oldie mega stars may be drying up but there are still loads of big artists they can get and that's before you even mention repeats like getting Beyonce back for example.

I don't want them to purposefully lower expectations. I do think they need better contingency planning though.

They dont have it because of when it happens. Youre hoping that somebody has an open date when its a very busy time for uk tours and festivals. And they dont have any money to do something. look at Doja Cat dropping out when she did. They had a month and left it be. Shuffled Sam Fender and nothing else which of course worked out for him and his trajectory. 

Coachella last year had one of the craziest lemons to lemonade situations. Frank Oceans gives an all tome worst performance and cancels the second weekend. Within 24 hours of that they end up with Blink 182 replacing him after having played the first weekend as a last minute add which was their first gig of the trio. And then  add Fred Again, Four Tet and Skrillex closing out the fest on Frank Oceans extra stage which never got used. When Rage Against The Machine backed out in 2022 they took a week and nabbed Harry Styles whocj certainly worked out well.

like the perception that anyone is a phone call away to say a yes in a big bind  is just delusional

3 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Really depends on what he's already played by now. He's trying to tick them all off I think. 

The whole football thing is a contributory factor, but not the main one. IMHO.

SZA was a mis-step. Which in isolation is fine, it happens.

The bigger picture here is the question of whether the festival is starting to misfire habitually.

The line up this year was one of the weakest I’ve ever seen. It’s as if EA and the management are doing things paint by number, tokenistic and tbh, just a bit dull.

The elephant in the room is whether the festival has started to lose its way? Too many people are having too many issues, consistently, with Glasto in general.

From ticket buying, to crowding, to poor line up. The nostalgia factor is growing increasingly thin, and many people now attend for the bucket list/insta/social media factor.

SZA on her own is no biggie, sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t. But it’s an obvious f**k up and the festival is having too many of them….

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Need a big headliner for Sunday going forward, you don't want to give punters an excuse to leave early.

Probably not to the extreme of last night but I doubt the fest mind a good number of people leaving on Sunday teatime to ease the pressure on the roads. 

4 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Remember everyone wants Lana to headline? Well you have sleepy music on the pyramid field and people would just leave

“Everyone” is an exaggeration. But Lana at the very least has recognisable songs and is a ‘name’. She’d get a good crowd at the outset, even if half of it quickly wandered off or fell asleep. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

3 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Probably not to the extreme of last night but I doubt the fest mind a good number of people leaving on Sunday teatime to ease the pressure on the roads. 

Really? I think its the last thing they want. Everyone knows there will be huge queues getting off site on Monday normally and reluctantly accept it, I dont think they would ever want to encourage people to leave early, or they might as well close the festival after the Sunday legend slot and have it as a 2.5 day festival! No point having a lackluster Sunday evening especially as its being show on TV, hardly the image they want to portray

57 minutes ago, kugglaw said:

I think everyone needs to get over the whole SZA situation. Maybe it was a misguided booking, but it’s happened now and it wasn’t exactly the Hiderburg Disaster, was it?

Get over it? It was under 24 hours ago lol. It's a discussion forum, it;s allowed to be criticised when it's fresh in the mind

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Get over it? It was under 24 hours ago lol. It's a discussion forum, it;s allowed to be criticised when it's fresh in the mind

People got plenty of welly on here and beyond for saying it was going to be a below par headline act.

Now when it transpired exactly as predicted they want everyone to pipe down and "move on".