SZA

gherkin8r

56 minutes ago, kugglaw said:

The BBC aren’t committing nefarious acts of conspiracy or trying to pull the wool over your eyes when they refuse to pan their cameras to empty spots of the crowd. 

To do so would be distasteful, mean spirited and serve absolutely zero purpose - other than maybe embarrass a performer for having the temerity to….headline a music festival?

it’s over now, the sky hasn’t fallen. Some naff dad rock band or milquetoast novelty act will probably play next year and all will be forgotten. 

Spot on about the BBC camera work and crowds. It’s all in the angles. First noticed decades ago after coming home and watching T in the park highlights. They can make a near empty field look busy.

You’ve just reminded me on the BBC…..noticed their logo on the countdown clock on the Pyramid screens. Did that only happen before Coldplay ?

Will the PR folks at Rolex have been on the blower to the farm this morning 🤔 

1 hour ago, kugglaw said:

I think everyone needs to get over the whole SZA situation. Maybe it was a misguided booking, but it’s happened now and it wasn’t exactly the Hiderburg Disaster, was it?

Everything you have said there is indisputably factually accurate, well done sir. Apart from it was the Hindenburg disaster

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Comfy Bean said:

Spot on about the BBC camera work and crowds. It’s all in the angles. First noticed decades ago after coming home and watching T in the park highlights. They can make a near empty field look busy.

You’ve just reminded me on the BBC…..noticed their logo on the countdown clock on the Pyramid screens. Did that only happen before Coldplay ?

Will the PR folks at Rolex have been on the blower to the farm this morning 🤔 

It wasnt just the angles...they actually darkened the feed!

12 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I didn't know who SZA was before she was announced tbf. But I thought she might draw a crowd given sold out several nights at the O2 and BST Hyde Park. Clearly that was selling well to a demographic that could attend, mind.

there’s no doubt about her ticket selling prowess. She just hasn’t really made much of an impact beyond her bubble. Which is gonna start happening more and more with the way people consume music now. 

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Get over it? It was under 24 hours ago lol. It's a discussion forum, it's allowed to be criticised when it's fresh in the mind

Sure, you've got a point. But this thread has spent 8 months predicting a performer's downfall. How long will it spend revelling in it? I don't really get the big hubub is. People who like it watched. People who didn't watched something else. People who had nothing else they wanted to watch went home. Case closed, surely?

19 minutes ago, crumbler said:

This whole SZA situation. Seems like your performative revelling in her failure is a kneejerk response to a couple of posters on here making you feel old. 

Go back to page 16 of this thread, March 29th.

I quoted a video, from yourself coincidentally, where I said her performance at Lollapolooza was dreadful.

There is no knee jerk here amigo. I called it. And it was so.

image.thumb.png.ee4272a84f33fac96a87bc563396f2dc.png

Edited by Drums Please Fab

14 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

there’s no doubt about her ticket selling prowess. She just hasn’t really made much of an impact beyond her bubble. Which is gonna start happening more and more with the way people consume music now. 

I mean, certainly I know that I live in my own musical bubble and there are several contemporary pop stars that I wouldn't recognise.

Hell I didn't hear that Espresso song by Sabrina Carpenter until I had to listen to radio for a traffic alert while stuck in some the other day.

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

No it hasn't 

no bother kugglaw, really sorry we will all stop discussing it now cause it upsets you. The criticism is valid

More irritating than upsetting.

Criticism is fine, it’s the paranoid chat about deceptive camera angles and the festival’s reputation somehow being tarnished that annoys me.

I didn’t watch her because I’m not her biggest fan. But at least she’s doing something different from the several landfill indie larehashes or past their prime, vocally challenged septuagenarians, or nostalgia bait that played this weekend. 

10 minutes ago, kugglaw said:

Criticism is fine, it’s the paranoid chat about deceptive camera angles and the festival’s reputation somehow being tarnished that annoys me.

I didn’t watch her because I’m not her biggest fan. But at least she’s doing something different from the several landfill indie larehashes or past their prime, vocally challenged septuagenarians, or nostalgia bait that played this weekend. 

It's not paranoid chat. it happened. We are not tin foil hatting.

It's just bizarre really that the BBC felt the need to take an editorial stance on it.

11 minutes ago, kugglaw said:

Speaking of vocally challenged, the oul Sizza had a backing track doing a LOT of the heavy lifting.

Glass houses mon ami.

2 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

But there's only three slots at the very top and I think most of the confusion comes from her being a very unknown artist in the UK, not the fact that she's not very good at what she does. I don't think anyone's having a pop at her not being a dad band. Whatever the heck that is. Aren't women allowed to like certain types of music?

The fact that SZA is unknown by a lot of people says a lot more about them than SZA. She’s one of the most streamed artists. 

Janelle Monae was very empty while Avril Levine was packed. This shows a lot of people simply have no taste. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I’d heard of SZA but not heard her before the festival and that was because my white, northern teenage daughter is a fan.

She’s massive and is her having a “bubble” really any different to Glastonbury having a bubble - white, mainly middle class English folk.

personally, she’s not for me at all but if Emily wants to broaden the appeal and inclusivity of the festival for the future she has to put in some big acts that don’t appeal to the bulk that’s there this year, but will make people think it might just be for them.

that won’t happen if she continues to fill the field with older acts, and it certainly won’t happen if the TV coverage makes it look sh*t.

good on her

• Upvote 3

So it was a swing and a miss, but it's not really anything more fundamental than that and the demands that Something Must Be Done or The Festival Will Pay The Price are melodramatic.

Next year there'll be Fred Again, O Rod and a hoary auld rock band headlining to three packed fields - and all the calls for Emily to commit seppuku will just look silly.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

The fact that SZA is unknown by a lot of people says a lot more about them than SZA. She’s one of the most streamed artists. 

Janelle Monae was very empty while Avril Levine was packed. This shows a lot of people simply have no taste. 

Hans, is that you?

Chloé Thunders ⚡️ on X: "Peep Show a une citation pour tout : "People like  Coldplay and voted for the Nazis, you CAN'T trust people, Jeremy".  http://t.co/WHNeDsgdvd" / X

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Longdrop Bum Grapes said:

I’d heard of SZA but not heard her before the festival and that was because my white, northern teenage daughter is a fan.

She’s massive and is her having a “bubble” really any different to Glastonbury having a bubble - white, mainly middle class English folk.

personally, she’s not for me at all but if Emily wants to broaden the appeal and inclusivity of the festival for the future she has to put in some big acts that don’t appeal to the bulk that’s there this year, but will make people think it might just be for them.

that won’t happen if she continues to fill the field with older acts, and it certainly won’t happen if the TV coverage makes it look sh*t.

good on her

What’s your problem with white people 😀

We have all the money fam.

ABC1’s 4 life.

9 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Seriously though, when has the Pyramid been about taste?

Craig David packed the Pyramid in 2017. I couldn't believe it. I thought he had one hit single 20 years ago (at that point).

Mumford and Sons headlined after Rolling Stones on the Sunday. Not my bag, certainly! But again, a healthy crowd. 

PJ Harvey and Janelle Monae playing to less than half-empty crowds - crying shame because I've enjoyed them both live and think they're both talented, but I wouldn't want them headlining the Pyramid either.

You can't force people what they want to listen to.

3 hours ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Ah no.....she wasnt even singing half the time, as the video embedded in a previous post shows.

It was a clear swing and a miss as the reviews and posts online and on crowd size testify to.

To say she was incredible, is undermining what the word incredible means.

I don’t really care what you think. Your comment is hokum.