SZA

gherkin8r

9 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

We already spoke about that one this morning a few pages back, your mammy was probably giving you your reddybrek at the time.

Hilarious. Do you have an agent? There’s definitely a gap a in the market since we lost a lot of our “comedians” to operation yewtree. 

5 hours ago, Drums Please Fab said:

How do they know the age or gender of all these posters?

The information doest seem readily available bar someones profile photo if they happen to use themselves in it.

Like I cant tell who or what you are from your profile, so wouldnt draw any inference otherwise.

I think the dice is loaded with some of these folks, and it's easier for them to label you a dinosaur than debate. 

They play the man (no pun intended) and not the ball.

Its pretty obvious most skew older with some younger sprinkled in. The difference is if the older generation actually keep an open mind on music and dont just stick to certain things.  Thats where youll get the "i dont know who this is" comments. Im sure next year itll be worse when you have zero "old" acts at the top and then Duran Duran for Sunday tea time. 

10 hours ago, Respectfatfrog said:

would of preferred Avril in the legends spot. 

I suspect most will disagree however 

She is barely a couple years younger than Beyonce and you wanna call a 41 year old a legend, ok....

If Avril headlined Sunday the jokes about Glasto going the way of Reading and Slamdunk wouldnt end.

I know I'm a few pages late but I disagree with everyone saying it would've been fine if only she'd headlined the Friday instead. This bump-up would've failed regardless. Nobody knows who she is.

What Stormzy, Lizzo and Billie Eilish all have in common is that they played prominent slots on big stages a few years prior, and by all accounts they all nailed it. Everyone and their nan came home and watched the BBC coverage of those sets and thought "well hot diggity dog I wish I'd gone to see them". If you're struggling to find a big name headliner, THAT is your backup pool. To a lesser extent, though only applicable to one of those three, I think a British up-and-comer will reach a much wider cross-demographic awareness level in Britain than a similar sized American artist.

6 hours ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Hyde park is nearer Croydon and Brixton than Somerset innit.

Had to be one in here. Hows it to lick the boot of Farage.

btw, wonder if the fallow year is because of the World Cup and they dont want a sequel to Sunday but over the course of 5 days. I mean I did call this a while back and was laughed at. Then we get yesterday afternoon and Janelle Monae gets short changed.

1 minute ago, stokelad84 said:

This thread is funny. You're not allowed to dislike a black woman without being called a racist 😄

The thing is, there seems to be an accusation of her getting the gig cos she's black. That's where the racism comes in.

Saying "Sza isnt my kind of thing" is different to the above.

If Foals / Tame Impala or some other mid sized act was bumped up - would there have been such a reaction? I do not know.

6 hours ago, Deviceing said:

I know I'm a few pages late but I disagree with everyone saying it would've been fine if only she'd headlined the Friday instead. This bump-up would've failed regardless. Nobody knows who she is.

What Stormzy, Lizzo and Billie Eilish all have in common is that they played prominent slots on big stages a few years prior, and by all accounts they all nailed it. Everyone and their nan came home and watched the BBC coverage of those sets and thought "well hot diggity dog I wish I'd gone to see them". If you're struggling to find a big name headliner, THAT is your backup pool. To a lesser extent, though only applicable to one of those three, I think a British up-and-comer will reach a much wider cross-demographic awareness level in Britain than a similar sized American artist.

It’s kinda your issue that if don’t know anything about SZA who's had two of the best albums in the past 7 or 8 years. Glastonbury shouldn’t pander to those who just want unchallenging artists headlining the pyramid stage or who measure the quality of an act by the number of punters in the field. 

Long time no post. Had to come back for this. Need to put my thoughts down on this. Matt 42 style.

This is a very strange one. Pre-festival, I would have been the first one to say someone like SZA is an out-and-out headliner. I’ve been aware of her for years, watched her rise, and closely follow the US music scene. I am also one of those who firmly believe Glasto can book acts “not quite big enough” and they will fill the field.

I was utterly gobsmacked by how Sunday turned out. I got a sense it was going this way during the weekend, as a couple of my mates (mid-20s) were also saying to me, “Who is SZA?” and that they were only coming to see SZA because there wasn’t much else on. I thought it would be a similar turn-out to Kendrick, but one of my mates interestingly said to me “mate, everyone knows Kendrick. He’s been doing big shows in the UK for ages… SZA hasn’t”. Maybe this will look like a stronger booking in a few years, but right now isn’t the right time.

I still think Glasto should still make these kinds of bookings. I’d really prefer this to an endless cycle of the Killers, Muse, Kings of Leon, Foo Fighters, and Coldplay, as new bookings keep me interested and coming back. I know some acts are easy crowd pleasers but I’d still like them to pull people in I’ve never seen or not had the chance to get.

But yeah, something didn’t work with this. Maybe it’s because while she’s a great artist, she’s not really known for being a live performer either. It felt like a poor mix of chemistry and a bit of a reality check for people like me. 

I am very interested in hearing different views and honesty, because this is probably the most curious thing that’s happened at Glastonbury in all the years I’ve been going. I’ve been a bit humbled by it.

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Did you enjoy the set itself?

I wanted to go, but ultimately opted to go with the group majority to keep the team together for one last big bang at Justice.

Tbh. No.

I was a bit waved and thought the mic issues was just me being a bit clattered. Turns out it wasn’t just me - so that dampens it a bit.

I was also stood quite close and there was literally no vibe. Also my mates who weren’t that into it were kinda checking their watches.

I sadly think it ranks as one of my least favourite headline sets too. I think I had more fun at AM 2023 which is really saying something. 

shame all round really as I was really excited about it 😕

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Sorry to hear that.  Thought it might have at least gone down well with the hardcore select few.

Wouldn’t say I’m hardcore, I wouldn’t have paid the prices to see her at O2 or Hyde, but was really up for seeing her as I loved her two big releases. thought I’d get carried by a vibe but no, there wasn’t one.

33 minutes ago, M42 said:

Long time no post. Had to come back for this. Need to put my thoughts down on this. Matt 42 style.

This is a very strange one. Pre-festival, I would have been the first one to say someone like SZA is an out-and-out headliner. I’ve been aware of her for years, watched her rise, and closely follow the US music scene. I am also one of those who firmly believe Glasto can book acts “not quite big enough” and they will fill the field.

I was utterly gobsmacked by how Sunday turned out. I got a sense it was going this way during the weekend, as a couple of my mates (mid-20s) were also saying to me, “Who is SZA?” and that they were only coming to see SZA because there wasn’t much else on. I thought it would be a similar turn-out to Kendrick, but one of my mates interestingly said to me “mate, everyone knows Kendrick. He’s been doing big shows in the UK for ages… SZA hasn’t”. Maybe this will look like a stronger booking in a few years, but right now isn’t the right time.

I still think Glasto should still make these kinds of bookings. I’d really prefer this to an endless cycle of the Killers, Muse, Kings of Leon, Foo Fighters, and Coldplay, as new bookings keep me interested and coming back. I know some acts are easy crowd pleasers but I’d still like them to pull people in I’ve never seen or not had the chance to get.

But yeah, something didn’t work with this. Maybe it’s because while she’s a great artist, she’s not really known for being a live performer either. It felt like a poor mix of chemistry and a bit of a reality check for people like me. 

I am very interested in hearing different views and honesty, because this is probably the most curious thing that’s happened at Glastonbury in all the years I’ve been going. I’ve been a bit humbled by it.

This is a really fair and decent assessment of the situation and I agree that Glasto should continue to make bookings like this, as it’s important for the future/pipeline of the festival.

On a separate note, I think there have been a few dogwhistle comments on the internet, which have been very disappointing to read. For example, people saying that she’s crap or sh*t but they haven’t listened to her music!? How was you be able to make that assessment if you haven’t listened to her tracks? Saying you don’t like a genre because of elements such as the tempo or construction of the music itself is one thing but discounting an entire artist without listening to them isn’t just stupid, it’s also incredibly telling.

• Upvote 1

Just now, glast0gal said:

This is a really fair and decent assessment of the situation and I agree that Glasto should continue to make bookings like this, as it’s important for the future/pipeline of the festival.

On a separate note, I think there have been a few dogwhistle comments on the internet, which have been very disappointing to read. For example, people saying that she’s crap or sh*t but they haven’t listened to her music!? How was you be able to make that assessment if you haven’t listened to her tracks? Saying you don’t like a genre because of elements such as the tempo or construction of the music itself is one thing but discounting an entire artist without listening to them isn’t just stupid, it’s also incredibly telling.

This doesn’t surprise me in the slightest and I expected it tbh. If a black artist f**ks up, the right people love it because it gives them a vehicle to do what they probably do in private. Same reason why when women f**k up, men will always take the chance to go as hard as they can.

I just think SZA herself was not the right act for this risk, but who can blame them if they were tight on options.

2 minutes ago, M42 said:

This doesn’t surprise me in the slightest and I expected it tbh. If a black artist f**ks up, the right people love it because it gives them a vehicle to do what they probably do in private. Same reason why when women f**k up, men will always take the chance to go as hard as they can.

I just think SZA herself was not the right act for this risk, but who can blame them if they were tight on options.

My thoughts exactly. It was a big, big ask and I think both sides obviously wanted it to go well but that was a reality that could have been realised a few years down the line, maybe.

Agree that it’s a tale as old as time that some vultures just wait in the sidelines waiting for a misstep before releasing their unhinged and offensive remarks, which they try and wrap up as a critique. Sad to see. Hilariously, a lot of people on Facebook (I know, I know) groups probably have never been to the festival. My fault for being wound up by trolls but it doesn’t stop the fact that some, very real people hold these very real opinions and they’re just as upsetting to read whether they’re trolling or not.

For me the problem was that the BBC and also Glasto itself just didn't do enough to hype her imo. I firmly believe that I could be convinced that someone is headline worthy, but I just never was. The same did not happen for Stormzy, Billie Eilish etc. 

She needed interviews on the BBC, hyped up on podcasts, her music on adverts etc. etc. 

Whether that's her team (maybe it's just another fest for her), or Glasto itself failing to take the initiative I dunno. 

8 hours ago, Suprefan said:

She is barely a couple years younger than Beyonce and you wanna call a 41 year old a legend, ok....

If Avril headlined Sunday the jokes about Glasto going the way of Reading and Slamdunk wouldnt end.

no mate I would have her play the tea time slot not the legends slot. same thing I know but they could of used the term tea time slot

My honest take on her music is that I don’t think it lends itself well to a headline slot. She has some decent songs, but the ones I listened to all had a very chilled out vibe. I disagree that the Pyramid stage was the wrong stage, she could have worked that stage well, but in an earlier slot, her music is the kind thing I’d love to stand and listen to during a nice sunny afternoon slot. 

I just don’t think it’s headline material, whether Pyramid stage, West Holts or Woodsies… And that’s nothing to do with popularity, she’s clearly massive with certain demographics, it’s a vibe thing. By that time in the evening, much of her usual demographic are well into party mode. 

Again though, to be clear, I only listened to her 5 or 6 most popular songs 2 or 3 times, along with the obvious SM viral ones countless times, so I’m basing my opinion on very little data. If she does have some more upbeat music in her catalogue I apologise.