SZA

gherkin8r

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Good lord no! How would it help for a different artist who is even less popular and would get an even smaller crowd to be bumped up? Little Simz was already playing in an inflated position as it was

Simz had a f**king massive crowd and absolutely smashed it. It'd bet anything she'd of pulled far more to the Pyramid then SZA

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The 38 year old virgin said:

Surely the festival taking a punt on a (relatively) new artist is a good thing for it in the long run. Sticking nostalgia artists headlining will please the absolute radio listeners attending but will not provide a long term future.

Sza from what I can gather didn't work, but that shouldn't mean that they should revert to tried and tested headliners.

Agreed. SZA worked perfectly for the fans near the front. 

4 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

Simz had a f**king massive crowd and absolutely smashed it. It'd bet anything she'd of pulled far more to the Pyramid then SZA

She played before Coldplay. Avril Lavigne pulled a massive crowd- she isn't a headliner either. Greta Thurnberg & Corbyn pulled massive crowds too lol.

She's critically acclaimed but she's so clearly not a headliner

6 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

They could defo have got someone else but they had self imposed a rule of them being female which cut down their options 

Sounds like cringey box-ticking; the opposite of the meritocracy that would have avoided this mess in the first place!

Tbh considering the dystopian prices these days I'm definitely feeling schadenfreude over how badly this was handled

5 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Good lord no! How would it help for a different artist who is even less popular and would get an even smaller crowd to be bumped up? Little Simz was already playing in an inflated position as it was

She might have benefitted from being before Coldplay but it was a very decent crowd but her set was an unquestionable triumph.

And you know, it's also good in, what is the highlight of the UK's cultural calendar to celebrate having the world's best female rapper and one of the best rappers alive from our shores. Certainly better than handing another headline slot to a has-been noughties act.

1 minute ago, tomf3 said:

I thought the Sunday of Janelle - Burna - SZA was a great run of well delivered and more intimate sets that aren't usually found at the pyramid. Plus it gave people who usually hang around the pyramid all a day, a chance to go to one of the other 100+ stages.

Burna was absolutely great, not a huge crowd but everyone really up for it. Shame the masses didn't really give him much of a chance. It's hardly challenging music to listen to.

17 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Much bigger name recognition and profile in the U.K in general and, I would guess, amongst the Glasto audience in particular. Also delivered a superb high-energy set thst would have drawn an audience in. 

22 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think we have to consider Liam a when and not an if

I think it'll be next year if anything, for the WTSMG anniversary.

Previously I didn't expect him to ever reach Glasto headline, but considering how well received this DM tour has been, I think it will happen

2 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Without a doubt. Would have been a solid bump up even in 2019. Was he good? I might pick up a cheap TRNSMT ticket if there’s any knocking about.

Loved it. Massive singalongs. And apart from maybe the very early Oasis days the best Ive ever heard him sing. 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/liam-gallagher/2024/3arena-dublin-ireland-3abede7.html

Edited by The Nal

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

She mentioned 2 female headliners back in October 2023 so based on the backlash to the all male 2023 line-up once she said that she is backed into a corner and when (presumably) Madonna pulled out they needed another woman.

That wasn't a 'rule' of any sort.  They said they had one booked (Dua) and one they were hopeful of booking (Madonna)

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

She mentioned 2 female headliners back in October 2023 so based on the backlash to the all male 2023 line-up once she said that she is backed into a corner and when (presumably) Madonna pulled out they needed another woman.

She said “And who knows next year we might get two… And certainly I can say that the legend is female.”

She never committed them or set any rule or anything like that

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

CTRL a genuinely great record and SOS not far behind it.  She's better than a mid afternoon slot on the third stage.

My comment wasnt to imply she isnt good, it's just not what I'd listen to at headliner time. During the day, I might do. Depending on my mood.

37 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think we have to consider Liam a when and not an if

I think they will be holding out hope that the brothers get friendly again. Oasis - whilst not everyone on here's favourite would be an undoubted massive headliner, probably the biggest domestic draw they could get 

Edited by FuzzyDunlop