SZA

gherkin8r

Post is still viewable in the quotes from others, this is a typical response.

READY2SPRAY

SZA was clearly given that spot because of her gender, ethnicity and 'body-positivity'. She's like a trifecta for woke box-ticking.

It's a travesty that JUSTICE were not headlining Sunday, so I'm glad it's now biting Emily et al. Maybe they will realise their ideology is poison but I doubt it.

6 hours ago, Detective McNulty said:

this is a bit f**king ott.

it was a wrong booking and the wrong vibe to close out the pyramind but bringing all 'woke' nonsense into the equation is bullshit and frankly you can f**k off. 

20 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Yeah, I've never heard anything direct from EE about sexuality or race. I just meant on the forums with the box ticking/representation/diversity stuff. 

What did the original post say exactly?

Must have been pretty strong to prompt all the "smash the fasch" posts.

see post above

3 hours ago, The Orgazoid said:

There seems to be an awful lot of throwing the baby out with the bath water and overreaction on this thread.

We are 12 months since a festival which was deemed an over riding success.  In fact, they all have been.

This one seems to have had a few issues & there is a lot of hyperbole. Not just on here, but in general.

Hopefully the booking policy continues to take risks & SZA doesnt mean they just play it safe in the future.

You cant get everything right.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

We are 12 months since a festival which was deemed an over riding success.  In fact, they all have been.

This one seems to have had a few issues & there is a lot of hyperbole. Not just on here, but in general.

Hopefully the booking policy continues to take risks & SZA doesnt mean they just play it safe in the future.

Aye, I had a cracking year and that goes for pretty much everyone I know who went.

There have always been some acts who attracted huge audiences and some who received surprisingly smaller ones - it's as true as it ever has been.

To then open this thread and read so much tedious pearl clutching is a tad depressing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clarkete said:

Aye, I had a cracking year and that goes for pretty much everyone I know who went.

There have always been some acts who attracted huge audiences and some who received surprisingly smaller ones - it's as true as it ever has been.

To then open this thread and read so much tedious pearl clutching is a tad depressing.

The folk banging the drum the hardest weren't there.

36 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

the casuals demand it gets everything right or else its a failure. Scheduling was a failure  from the look of it. I mean if Madonna had ended up on the lineup and closed the Sunday night there likely wouldnt have been any glaring crowd issues on the Pyramid because a lot of folks wouldve camped out during Janelle and Burna Boy. People just hate the idea that they can get it wrong when they almost always got it right before. 

Edited by Suprefan

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The folk banging the drum the hardest weren't there.

Was genuinely a brilliant one for me. Kind of devastated to see so much negativity about what I felt was an incredibly well run event. I had my best ever Thursday. Missed a sh*t ton of stuff that got great reviews that I am looking forward to catching up on. 

Amazing how people watching from their armchairs seem to have decided it was such a bad one. In my group who all saw very varied things I have barely heard about a dud set. 

Just now, gigpusher said:

Was genuinely a brilliant one for me. Kind of devastated to see so much negativity about what I felt was an incredibly well run event. I had my best ever Thursday. Missed a sh*t ton of stuff that got great reviews that I am looking forward to catching up on. 

Amazing how people watching from their armchairs seem to have decided it was such a bad one. In my group who all saw very varied things I have barely heard about a dud set. 

Yeah - definitely one of the good ones. Left it all out there on the fields.  Glad you had a blast.

38 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I think this year was better than last year. Most sets I saw were better than I expected. 

1 hour ago, gizmoman said:

see post above

Is that it? I don't see much in common with the tenets of fascism in that comment.

But then people would much prefer calling someone a fascist, than having the ability and belief in their own arguments to disprove something, sadly.

5 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Is that it? I don't see much in common with the tenets of fascism in that comment.

But then people would much prefer calling someone a fascist, than having the ability and belief in their own arguments to disprove something, sadly.

A post like that was never going to be popular on here but the reaction was a bit hysterical.

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Then put Seasick Steve or the Birmingham Ballet on Other then? I mean there's a chance you're right and they did everything they could but the line-up didn't work with Avril on the Pyramid no matter how they sliced it... it just doesn't seem that likely.

As I literally just said, there could be plenty we don’t know. Personally I think it’s very unlikely that moving international pop stars from one stage to another is as simple as swapping names on a poster. The stages are run by different bookers, those acts will have signed a contract at some point. ‘Just swap them’ is very naive.

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If describing the festival's progressive / inclusive booking ideology as "poison" isn't a red flag then I don't know what is 

It's a bit strong as well to describe the situation as poison, definitely. Perhaps as a new poster on the boards they wanted to make a statement comment and didn't think too carefully about the wording. 

7 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

As I literally just said, there could be plenty we don’t know. Personally I think it’s very unlikely that moving international pop stars from one stage to another is as simple as swapping names on a poster. The stages are run by different bookers, those acts will have signed a contract at some point. ‘Just swap them’ is very naive.

But somehow everyone isnt on the same page when it comes to crowd control and think itll be fine. It was clear when Sugababes were on  the West Holts poster that it was gonna be a problem crowd wise. Avril mightve been seen as a coin flip for them. But lets just say that Other Stage wants to have more of the Reading type of programming and Pyramid wants to be like mature and sprinkle in what they feel is acceptable other than the top 3 names at the end of each day being what they are.

Edited by Suprefan

15 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

The bit about stages being run by different bookers can apply moving acts to/from West Holts. But Pyramid and Other (and Woodsies) are booked centrally by a single team so they should be able to place acts better within that.

That's part of the reason I actually don't have a problem with Sugababes on WH so much - in isolation that booking would have been fine, if the Pyramid and Other had been up to their usual strength. Put them in the same slot last year, and they'd have been up against the end of Texas and the changeover before Foo Fighters - and WH wouldn't have been nearly as rammed.

But the Avril placement looked insane regardless of what was on elsewhere at the same time, and that would still apply if she had played the same slot in almost any previous year. Everyone with half a clue saw it coming. The festival absolutely could and should have seen the issues coming, and definitely do deserve the slating they're getting for it. That one isn't even about moving acts about - she should have been booked on the Pyramid (or at a stretch higher on the Other) from day one.