SZA

gherkin8r

4 minutes ago, glast0gal said:

Yeah I definitely agree with you here. Lizzo in 2019 is a great example. I think you’ve really hit the nail on the head with the fomo element of it. I think there are a lot of clout chasers who attend who want to tick off every possible ‘Glastonbury moment’ and I think it just feels a bit forced. The magic of those moments comes from being in the right place at the right time, rather than something that’s a bit over engineered. Don’t really know how you resolve or undo that because that’s more of a social/attitude thing than anything else? Most bookings I would say are on the right stage at the right time. Think of the sets that have been sensational not only this year but in previous years as well! I think if anything, Glastonbury underestimates how popular pop music has become again. If they book Charli XCX for next year I think she could easily pull off a late afternoon Pyramid set.

Yep absolutely spot on - a lot of people go to chase the Glastonbury Moment™ and that's fine, I don't have an issue with it, it's certainly cool being there when it happens, but you're totally right that it's an organic thing. And yeah, Charli would get a monster crowd.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Benjsh said:

Why are we getting the 'hard to predict' line? It wasn't hard to predict whatsoever. It was so obvious she was going to get one of the smallest crowds of all time for a Headliner for months before the festival.

Not only should she never have been booked to headline, Emily should have also anticipated that England were likely going to finish top of the group too so the Sunday night headliner needed to be BIG to avoid people making an early exit for the football. 

As others have said....Coldplay not closing the festival was a huge own goal. People would have stayed for them. 

I hope lessons have been learned and can we please not use streaming stats ever again for who should headline. Having lots of streams, mainly in the US, clearly didn't make one iota of difference. 

The football was scheduled to be on for 2hrs from 5pm-7pm.

The idea that there were tens of thousands leaving Glastonbury to go down the road to a pub to watch a last-16 match against Slovakia, and never come back, is complete nonsense.

Edited by ghostdancer1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

It may not have been definite that England were playing last night but it absolutely was known as early as December that the winners of their group would be playing at 5pm on Sunday. If the fest decided to fill the Pyramid with 6 Music acts from 5pm on Sunday, when it was likely even if not certain that England would be playing then.. that’s on them really. 

December is too late. And frankly if the game has no fixed length it's not viable to work around it either. 

25 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

No way they'd ever show it on the Pyramid, it's a music festival fs why would the main stage be used for football, it's a ludicrous idea. 

It's not logistics, it's a conscious choice that they don't show it anywhere on site officially. 

You'd have a point except that it's been done multiple times before. I can't stand football, no interest in it whatsoever, won't even watch the final if England are in it. 

But that's not the position of the festival. They do what they can to allow for it within the restrictions they're working in. Always have done. Sometimes that means not showing it at all, sometimes it doesn't/

So what happens if England Wales N Ireland and Scotland all played over the weekend? 4 games on the pyramid instead of music? A ludicrous idea

Yep, that's ludicrous. You'd just show the England game. Most Glasto punters don't care about Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland. If you want to throw out stupid f**king ideas then go ahead, but don't pretend they're what I'm suggesting.

2 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Agree although it’s worth remembering that the Other is an absolutely massive field that ought to be capable of hosting most big acts outside of stadium fillers. The problem arises when the acts on the Other aren’t given appropriate competition on the Pyramid to balance it out. That’s why they (just about) got away with Billie (Miley), Liam Gallagher (Katy Perry) and Olivia (Noel Gallagher) while Avril (Janelle) and Lewis Capaldi (Hozier) turned into a shitshow. 

Really good point - this is where you need a proper, killer clash to balance out the crowds. I think this has been a particular struggle post Covid for the festival? The line up for both stages hasn’t been stacked completely across all three days. It’s been strong in patches but not a brilliant read across.

2 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

The idea that there were tens of thousands leaving Glastonbury to go down the road to a pub to watch a last-16 match against Slovakia, and never come back, is complete nonsense.

We already get a lot of people leaving Sunday evening if they're not interested in the headliners. People with work on Monday or families where kids have school, they tend to start leaving from 6pm anyway. That people would leave a few hours earlier if they're football fans to get home for the match is hardly fantasy.

1 minute ago, glast0gal said:

Really good point - this is where you need a proper, killer clash to balance out the crowds. I think this has been a particular struggle post Covid for the festival? The line up for both stages hasn’t been stacked completely across all three days. It’s been strong in patches but not a brilliant read across.

Yep.  Which is where the pride thing comes into it. Just put the biggest acts playing at any one time onto the biggest stage, regardless of ‘credibility’, and see if it helps. 

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

We already get a lot of people leaving Sunday evening if they're not interested in the headliners. People with work on Monday or families where kids have school, they tend to start leaving from 6pm anyway. That people would leave a few hours earlier if they're football fans to get home for the match is hardly fantasy.

Yes, and those people would have left anyway.

Everyone is aware that people leave on Sunday evening for various reasons.

The idea that tens of thousands left in the early afternoon to go watch the football instead of sticking around for several hours because of a weak Sunday Pyramid headliner, is complete fantasy.

There's an England match during the festival every 2 years. People watch on their phones or the odd unofficial screen that is set up. They don't leave the site in droves. I'm sure a few do, but it's minimal.

Edited by ghostdancer1

5 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Haven't we already had confirmation that the early leaver numbers were massively up form previous years? 

Where did all the crowds go then? Both the Pyramid and Other Stage fields were dead. West Holts and the Park were busy, yes, but they can't soak up all those people missing from those two fields.

It was also closer to 8pm too by the time England had got through due to Extra Time. 

8 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

You'd have a point except that it's been done multiple times before

Never realised that, apologies

8 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yep, that's ludicrous. You'd just show the England game. Most Glasto punters don't care about Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland. If you want to throw out stupid f**king ideas then go ahead, but don't pretend they're what I'm suggesting.

How's that a stupid idea ? So only England games matter. f**k that. Be an absolute disgrace if they only showed england and no other home nations. You do realise they put on buses from all over the UK for the coach tickets? It isn't just English people 

1 minute ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Yes, and those people would have left anyway.

Everyone is aware that people leave on Sunday evening for various reasons.

The idea that tens of thousands left in the early afternoon to go watch the football instead of sticking around for several hours because of a weak Sunday Pyramid headliner, is complete fantasy.

I'm not sure it's complete fantasy, in all fairness. If you've spent 4-5 days there and have work tomorrow or something just doesn't stick out to you on the lineup and you're a football fan (as a lot of people are, especially for international tournaments), why wouldn't you round off the weekend with friends/family at the pub, everything packed up and try and beat the traffic a little bit? They may not have even left specifically for the football, but I do think it played a slight part paired with the headliners available

1 minute ago, Benjsh said:

Haven't we already had confirmation that the early leaver numbers were massively up form previous years? 

Where did all the crowds go then? Both the Pyramid and Other Stage fields were dead. West Holts and the Park were busy, yes, but they can't soak up all those people missing from those two fields.

It was also closer to 8pm too by the time England had got through due to Extra Time. 

It was closer to 8pm, but no-one was to know that prior to kick off.

Other stage was hardly dead. It wasn't packed, but it was reasonably full for an Other headliner. WH and the Park were packed. Reports of other smaller stages being busier than usual at Pyramid headliner time. SE corner could have been busier too for all we know.

I'm sure plenty of people went home on Sunday, but they didn't leave at 3pm to get to Pilton to sit down in a pub for 4hrs. Or even earlier to get home for 5pm.

9 minutes ago, SpencerF said:

I'm not sure it's complete fantasy, in all fairness. If you've spent 4-5 days there and have work tomorrow or something just doesn't stick out to you on the lineup and you're a football fan (as a lot of people are, especially for international tournaments), why wouldn't you round off the weekend with friends/family at the pub, everything packed up and try and beat the traffic a little bit? They may not have even left specifically for the football, but I do think it played a slight part paired with the headliners available

If you've work on Monday or you don't like the lineup, you would have left on Sunday anyway.

Not sure what part people are struggling to understand here.

"They may not have even left specifically for the football," - yes, that's the whole point. Tens of thousands weren't leaving the site at 3pm to go watch England vs. Slovakia.

The fact that there weren't tens of thousands of England fans going off-site in 2022, 2018, 2016 etc proves my point. Unless the Glastonbury audience has suddenly become overrun with rabid football fans in 2024.....

Edited by ghostdancer1

I left about 7. I’ve been volunteering so there from Monday. I was tired. Had enough of crowds and the headliners weren’t that interesting to me. Didn’t fancy getting caught up in the crowds leaving Monday morning. If Madonna had been headlining I would have stayed. Didn’t even know there was football on 

10 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

A d*ck for saying that he didn't see her and went to QOTSA instead? OK.

No. Have you actually watched the clip? It’s a damn sight ruder a reaction than just “saying he didn’t see her and went to QOTSA”. 

Probably unlikely she’s seen it but if she has then I can totally see her saying “I played your soggy festival for f**k all money and this is the reaction of your presenter immediately after I come off stage having delivered one of the best performances of all time? Screw you”. We’re led to believe one of the reasons Prince never happened was because efestivals listed him on their rumour page every year. Amazing how petty these pop stars can be. 

anyway.. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

Didn’t attend this year but know people who did - indicated site is now much busier on Wednesday and Thursday so maybe people are just exhausted by Sunday? I know my most recent ones I’ve been completely done by Sunday and have left late on Sunday after headliner finished a few times.

is this just a domino effect of more people arriving on Wednesday now?

• Upvote 1