SZA

gherkin8r

7 minutes ago, Spacey said:

I left about 7. I’ve been volunteering so there from Monday. I was tired. Had enough of crowds and the headliners weren’t that interesting to me. Didn’t fancy getting caught up in the crowds leaving Monday morning. If Madonna had been headlining I would have stayed. Didn’t even know there was football on 

🙌

16 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

The fact that there weren't tens of thousands of England fans going off-site in 2022, 2018, 2016 etc proves my point. Unless the Glastonbury audience has suddenly become overrun with rabid football fans in 2024.....

Sorry to be an arse, but 2016 (eng played monday), 2018 - fallow year, 2022, world cup was in December.

2010 - 100,000 watxhed Emg vs Germany & the pyramid field was dead

3 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Sorry to be an arse, but 2016 (eng played monday), 2018 - fallow year, 2022, world cup was in December.

2010 - 100,000 watxhed Emg vs Germany & the pyramid field was dead

Fair point, I was going to check the dates but wasn't arsed!

My country played during the festival in 2016, we watched it on a phone in the Bread & Roses (along with plenty of others) rather than going off-site 🤷‍♂️

The field was dead in 2010 because it was shown at the festival. Not because people left the site.

Edited by ghostdancer1

38 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yep, that's ludicrous. You'd just show the England game. Most Glasto punters don't care about Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland. If you want to throw out stupid f**king ideas then go ahead, but don't pretend they're what I'm suggesting.

Fair play, this is the most twatish comment I've seen in a while. Well done son 👏🏼

25 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

No. Have you actually watched the clip? It’s a damn sight ruder a reaction than just “saying he didn’t see her and went to QOTSA”. 

Probably unlikely she’s seen it but if she has then I can totally see her saying “I played your soggy festival for f**k all money and this is the reaction of your presenter immediately after I come off stage having delivered one of the best performances of all time? Screw you”. We’re led to believe one of the reasons Prince never happened was because efestivals listed him on their rumour page every year. Amazing how petty these pop stars can be. 

anyway.. 

I love the idea of Prince having had a burner account on eFestivals to check if he'd been mentioned.

image.png.10b85140cbf0fe6892c7f1dba1694db9.png

49 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Yes, and those people would have left anyway.

Everyone is aware that people leave on Sunday evening for various reasons.

The idea that tens of thousands left in the early afternoon to go watch the football instead of sticking around for several hours because of a weak Sunday Pyramid headliner, is complete fantasy.

There's an England match during the festival every 2 years. People watch on their phones or the odd unofficial screen that is set up. They don't leave the site in droves. I'm sure a few do, but it's minimal.

This is the first time there's been one this late on a Sunday.

Wasn't there one on the Wednesday some years ago? And it was the quietest Wednesday in a while?

47 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Never realised that, apologies

How's that a stupid idea ? So only England games matter. f**k that. Be an absolute disgrace if they only showed england and no other home nations. You do realise they put on buses from all over the UK for the coach tickets? It isn't just English people 

To the majority of the punters, yes.

I've got no interest in Coldplay either but just because they are on doesn't mean the festival also has to book *my* favourite rock band and everyone elses' also. They book the most popular.

To be clear I'm not saying England games *matter* - no football games matter, it's people kicking a ball around a field for two hours, boring as f**k. Like Coldplay. But both would fill the Pyramid field.

This football chat baffles me beyond belief. I'm a huge football fan, live and breathe it throughout the season. When I'm at Glastonbury, or any festival, it's honestly the last possible thing I could care about. Especially in this tournament, jesus christ. People really that arsed to leave the festival early to watch the utter shite of the England national team? Horses for courses I guess.

Edited by jparx
  • Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

It was closer to 8pm, but no-one was to know that prior to kick off.

Other stage was hardly dead. It wasn't packed, but it was reasonably full for an Other headliner. WH and the Park were packed. Reports of other smaller stages being busier than usual at Pyramid headliner time. SE corner could have been busier too for all we know.

I'm sure plenty of people went home on Sunday, but they didn't leave at 3pm to get to Pilton to sit down in a pub for 4hrs. Or even earlier to get home for 5pm.

A couple  I know left Sunday afternoon because they didn't fancy seeing any of the remaining line up. They also weren't bothered about the football..

2 hours ago, RaphPH said:

SZA deserved all she got yesterday. Her team came to Glastonbury and tried to dictate conditions. The poor security guards were told to militantly stop anyone from sitting on top of shoulders during her set and also anyone taking pictures with a camera to stop - which they were frantically flapping at and waving at punters to stop throughout. It’s a festival not a concert at The O2. 

well that’s f**king stupid

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Ah yes well remembered! 

It does feel as though they're possibly not quite as in tune with the fans as they used to be. I find this a bit fascinating because it's the first time in what, at least 15 years where the booking of the festival is really being questioned. We've had plenty of cases, almost yearly, where a headliner is questioned but they always end up knocking it out the park. They have to be careful here, there's a real issue brewing I think. 

Something certainly went a bit wrong in the planning of 2024.  The Isle of Wight line up isn't particularly to my taste but there's several acts there who would have propped up the Pyramid. Is budget, and having to fill both of the Pyramid and the Other, an issue? 

Also seems clear that regardless of budget 1 or probably 2 acts said no to Glastonbury fairly late in the day. You have to then play the cards you have. SZA would never have been intended to be a headliner but you can imagine them deciding to just go for it based on 2 nights at the O2 and the streaming numbers and no doubt lots of other data. (I haven't watched her show yet but I will. I watched but didn't fully "get" what kendrick lamar was doing in 2022, and I actually own 2 of his records. I doubt his crowd was huge either.)

By putting an act like SZA top, you could argue Emily and whoever her advisers are have overshot in terms of risk and deciding they can "ordain" headliners (eg Stormzy).  Is that arrogance?  Trying to secure the future of the fest?  Bit of both?  Also seems weird to me that SZA, clearly the weak headliner, was given the Sunday (acknowledging she already had a Saturday gig).  Burna Boy and Janelle Monae as subs also stacked the risk of a small crowd.  And that's before football (predictable for a while in advance) is mentioned...

ps the fun about attendance at Avril Lavigne ignores that she benefited from pretty niche alternative options.  She was up against Janelle Monae, Kim Gordon, Mount Kimbie and Brittany Howard (I had to look up who Brittany is).

Edited by Johndenis

10 minutes ago, jparx said:

This football chat baffles me beyond belief. I'm a huge football fan, live and breathe it throughout the season. When I'm at Glastonbury, or any festival, it's honestly the last possible thing I could care about. Especially in this tournament, jesus christ. People really that arsed to leave the festival early to watch the utter shite of the England national team? Horses for courses I guess.

I agree with you, but I think a lot dont - or at least up against a "weak" line up

11 minutes ago, FrogLobster said:

Hold up, is this actually Prince's burner account? 😄

This is 100% Prince's burner account.

Now ran through Prince Legacy and Primary Wave.

Since we finally settled who owns the estate and hologram rights, we are looking to re-enter the festival market with a new dazzling light show.

4 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Don’t think anyone is claiming Avril would’ve been the biggest Pyramid headliner ever to exist. But she’d have drawn a crowd and had several songs the crowd would've known, which is more than can be said for the act who did it. 

Just cause SZA was a bump up does not mean ludicrous ideas like Avril Lavigne headlining should have merit. She got a big crowd cause it was a nostalgia fest and she was up against nothing. S Club 7 would get a big crowd, doesn't mean they should headline.