SZA

gherkin8r

5 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Surely, we can all agree that it was a punt that went wrong for whatever reasons, and it's not SZA's fault?

We don't need to get our pitchforks out and blame people voting with their feet for being too old, too male, too monolithic? 

Yeah this is it – not sure too many people are blaming SZA herself. SZA didn't book herself, she didn't book the rest of the festival that night.

She was dealt a sh*tty hand.

8 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Surely, we can all agree that it was a punt that went wrong for whatever reasons, and it's not SZA's fault?

We don't need to get our pitchforks out and blame people voting with their feet for being too old, too male, too monolithic? 

Yea but the people slagging off SZA are playing the man not the ball too. There was an agenda against this booking for months. The online hate goes beyond simply preferring to watch someone else. Lana got it last year. 

Just now, UncleJunior said:

Apparently not all that much, good reviews from the performance though. 

Can't imagine it'd be enormous either, but if it was bigger than SZA's then the decrease must be due to people dipping out to find a party vibe.  They're obviously very different artists, but I'd expect folk open to Afrobeats would also be open to giving SZA a fair hearing.

15 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Yea but the people slagging off SZA are playing the man not the ball too. There was an agenda against this booking for months. The online hate goes beyond simply preferring to watch someone else. Lana got it last year. 

Dude, there was an agenda against GnR for months before they played - the Guardian article gave them 2 stars and went on weird tangents about patriarchy and misogyny, there's been agendas against Coldplay and Dave Grohl playing too often, there's people against stuff on at Glastonbury all the time. It's the whole point of this forum to speculate, judge, brainstorm and share...

And I think most people, if not all, have been pretty respectful of SZA, and realise that it wasn't really her fault. The only thing I've read was about her entourage telling people not to use their phones to record, or allow people to sit on shoulders. I don't even know if that's true or not.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

11 hours ago, Colorblindjames said:

1000s of the paying punters walked from Shania to Avril and chose to miss Janelle. Scheduling the content of the pyramid to meet the demands of this demographic risks the festival becoming a bigger IoW or Hyde Park. 

If Janelle was singing at the bottom of my garden I'd close the curtains. Yes she has a nice voice but her songs are as dull as dishwater. I bet 90% of the festival goers couldn't even name you a single song of hers so she has no place being on the Pyramid imo. It was a terrible booking and got the crowd it deserved. 

I'd have 1 million percent gone to see Avril over her too and had a sing song and a laugh.

I really do hate this pretentious attitude that some people have who think Glastonbury is above other festivals and therefore has to book less well known artists on the main stages as to be 'different'. The things that make Glasto stand out to other festivals is the sheer number of options you have stage wise and of course the evening entertainment after midnight is much better too. Janelle Monae and SZA being on the pyramid stage as a headline act don't add any value whatsoever. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Dude, there was an agenda against GnR for months before they played - the Guardian article gave them 2 stars and went on weird tangents about patriarchy and misogyny, there's been agendas against Coldplay and Dave Grohl playing too often, there's people against stuff on at Glastonbury all the time. It's the whole point of this forum...

And I think most people, if not all, have been pretty respectful of SZA, and realise that it wasn't really her fault. The only thing I've read was about her entourage telling people not to use their phones to record, or allow people to sit on shoulders. I don't even know if that's true or not.

I had two people on my shoulders for SZA and we were very close to the front. 

1 minute ago, Colorblindjames said:

Thanks so it show I didn’t say everyone who went to AL had no taste as was implied. 

Would you care to elaborate what, "Janelle Monae was very empty while Avril Levine was packed. This shows a lot of people simply have no taste" means then?

Because it sounds a lot like you meant people who chose Avril over Janelle have no taste... 🤣

Just now, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Would you care to elaborate what, "Janelle Monae was very empty while Avril Levine was packed. This shows a lot of people simply have no taste" means then?

Because it sounds a lot like you meant people who chose Avril over Janelle have no taste... 🤣

You appear not to understand the difference between a lot and everyone. 

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Guardian gave GnR a good review FWIW. Four stars.

GnR just came too late sadly. If they had played 90's or early 2000's when his voice was still good.....it would have been one of the best headline acts ever. They were a totally different beast live to what they are now. 

12 hours ago, Colorblindjames said:

1000s of the paying punters walked from Shania to Avril and chose to miss Janelle. Scheduling the content of the pyramid to meet the demands of this demographic risks the festival becoming a bigger IoW or Hyde Park. 

The content of the biggest stage should be scheduled to suit what the majority of people will want to see. 

It’s not some pissing contest, and “that isn’t relevant” is utter bollocks. If 100k want to see it, it’s definitely relevant. 

The fact is, putting acts that can and will draw over 100k on stages designed to handle much less, is beyond stupid, when you’ve got a headliner on the biggest stage who were lucky if they drew 20k. 

Nostalgia is a big thing, and at festivals that attract all ages it has to be taken into account. You’re 30, 40, 50 whatever, are you going to go and watch the artist who you’ve never heard of, or the one that you really enjoyed as a teen, never got to see, and may never get another chance to see? 

It’s really not rocket science. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Alvoram said:

The content of the biggest stage should be scheduled to suit what the majority of people will want to see. 

It’s not some pissing contest, and “that isn’t relevant” is utter bollocks. If 100k want to see it, it’s definitely relevant. 

The fact is, putting acts that can and will draw over 100k on stages designed to handle much less, is beyond stupid, when you’ve got a headliner on the biggest stage who were lucky if they drew 20k. 

Nostalgia is a big thing, and at festivals that attract all ages it has to be taken into account. You’re 30, 40, 50 whatever, are you going to go and watch the artist who you’ve never heard of, or the one that you really enjoyed as a teen, never got to see, and may never get another chance to see? 

It’s really not rocket science. 

I disagree totally. It should be a mix not just a bunch of Radio 2 nostalgia acts.