SZA

gherkin8r

8 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

You appear not to understand the difference between a lot and everyone. 

Ooooh, thanks for clarifying. So only 80% of the crowd have no taste. Got it. 

Because the other guy only said "you can get in the bin if you think anyone who went to Avril over Janelle has no taste"

You appear not to understand the diff between anyone and a lot.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

21 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Guardian gave GnR a good review FWIW. Four stars.

Only time I’ve seen them but I had a great time. Thought the band were really tight and Axl sounded alright in the field, the bbc mix did him a bit dirty I think. Was more in shock they seemed really happy to be playing, which is nice

7 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

I disagree totally. It should be a mix not just a bunch of Radio 2 nostalgia acts. 

Having an act on a smaller stage that is likely to command a huge audience and thus risk injury to people just so you can see some less mainstream acts on stages they don't really need to be playing on as there's no real appetite for them. 

If you like Janelle Monae you could go watch her on West Holts. What's the problem? I don't see the issue personally. You still get to see her perform.

Sugababes (not my cup of tea) should have been on a bigger stage. So should Avril. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

I disagree totally. It should be a mix not just a bunch of Radio 2 nostalgia acts. 

I’m not saying ‘JUST radio 2’ 

I’m saying the acts that will draw the biggest crowds. Be that Nostalgic Pop, Hip Hop, Metal, whatever. 

There can, and has been, more current acts that drew a much bigger crowd, and were obviously always going to. 

BUT, nostalgia acts like Avril are quite obviously always going to be amongst those bigger draws, so get them on the bigger stages in earlier slots. 

11 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Ooooh, thanks for clarifying. So only 80% of the crowd have no taste. Got it. 

Because the other guy only said "you can get in the bin if you think anyone who went to Avril over Janelle has no taste"

You appear not to understand the diff between anyone and a lot.

Anyone implied I said everyone. You appear to be struggling with comprehension mate. 

1 minute ago, Benjsh said:

Having an act on a smaller stage that is likely to command a huge audience and thus risk injury to people just so you can see some less mainstream acts on stages they don't really need to be playing on as there's no real appetite for them. 

If you like Janelle Monae you could go watch her on West Holts. What's the problem? I don't see the issue personally. You still get to see her perform.

Sugababes (not my cup of tea) should have been on a bigger stage. So should Avril. 

It’s a contemporary music festival, not a nostalgia festival. 

1 minute ago, Colorblindjames said:

Contemporary arts festival. 

If they didn’t book the acts at all, it wouldn’t be an issue. But they do, so, for safety reasons, that is a flawed argument and I think you must surely know that? 

Anyone implied I said everyone. You appear to be struggling with comprehension mate. 

Lolz.

Anyone implies any single person in a set group of people taken at random. The other guy clearly meant that if you were accusing any single person in the Avril Lavigne crowd of being there instead of at Janelle, had no taste, you should get in the bin. 

E.g.

"Has anyone seen my bin because I need to get into it?" = Has a single person out of the many people I am talking to seen the bin that I should get into.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Lolz.

Anyone implies any single person in a set group of people taken at random. The other guy clearly meant that if you were accusing any single person in the Avril Lavigne crowd of being there instead of at Janelle, had no taste, you should get in the bin. 

E.g.

"Has anyone seen my bin because I need to get into it?" = Has a single person out of the many people I am talking to seen the bin that I should get into.

That’s just word salad. 

2 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

I still don't think you're understanding it. I don't care if the act is new old or whatever style of music it is. If they got a Jazz act that they thought would get 60 thousand plus in a Field it should be on the Pyramid Stage. 

Safety comes before music snobbery or at least it should do. 

Janelle Monae doesn't have the same following that some of those 'nostalgia' acts have.

And they'd still be performing at the 'Contemporary Music Festival' anyway just on a stage more appropriate to their popularity so your point is completely irrelevant. 

16 minutes ago, UncleJunior said:

Only time I’ve seen them but I had a great time. Thought the band were really tight and Axl sounded alright in the field, the bbc mix did him a bit dirty I think. Was more in shock they seemed really happy to be playing, which is nice

I had an enormous laugh at GnR. Not a classic for the ages, but in the moment an absolute hoot.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Benjsh said:

I still don't think you're understanding it. I don't care if the act is new old or whatever style of music it is. If they got a Jazz act that they thought would get 60 thousand plus in a Field it should be on the Pyramid Stage. 

Janelle Monae doesn't have the same following that some of those 'nostalgia' acts have.

And they'd still be performing at the 'Contemporary Music Festival' anyway just on a stage more appropriate to their popularity so your point is completely irrelevant. 

Nope the Pyramid is the premier and most high profile stage. It should have a mix of artists not just nostalgia acts guaranteed to pull a crowd. 

5 minutes ago, Benjsh said:

Yeah, I don't get it either.

What's the suggestion? Put the biggest footfall acts on smaller stages, put the more abstract or less liked stuff on the big stages?!

13 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Didn't fancy seeing SZA so saw Justice instead. Blimey people on here like to kick off.

4 minutes ago, northernringo said:

A lot of moaning on here this year it seems... Kills the mood somewhat

Absolutely standard the week after the fest. Even during the fest the threads whinging are more vocal as people complaining are more likely to tell people about it than the people having a good time.

3 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Yeah, I don't get it either.

What's the suggestion? Put the biggest footfall acts on smaller stages, put the more abstract or less liked stuff on the big stages?!

I’m saying it should be a mix. Tough luck if you didn’t get there in time to see Avril. Maybe you should have planned your day better. Plenty of other things to see. 

She didn’t tank at Glastonbury. Unless you are one of the football net spend type folk who just judge an artist by the size of her crowd. 

I'm the type who defended the booking on the basis of being a fan and hoping that she'd smash it, but recognises it didn't quite pan out for what seems to be a variety of reasons.

7 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

I’m saying it should be a mix. Tough luck if you didn’t get there in time to see Avril. Maybe you should have planned your day better. Plenty of other things to see. 

Undoubtedly, there should be a mix of genres, ages, styles of music on the Pyramid, but they've still got to be able to fill the field. 

There was nostalgia - Paul Heaton

There was rock - PJ Harvey

There was afrobeats - Burna Boy

There was R&B - SZA

Etc etc. Huge mix but with poor crowds (except I think, Paul's crowd looked decent). 

But can they do it on a rainy Monday night in Stoke? But can they fill the field? 

And if it doesn't matter about the crowd size, then might as well just put anybody on there.

Put Beans on Toast as sub. Jain as the headliner. 

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

I do agree the increased capacity has led to the Pyramid/ OS needing a rethink tbh.

Look at 2017 - The National subbed the Pyramid. With it also featuring First Aid Kit, Vieux Farka Toure, Paul Carrack and Jamie Cullum. When the site was a lot easier to navigate and people were more likely to stay around the Pyramid all day, these kind of bookings were part of the fun. 

There's a lot of people aged between 20-40ish for whom Shania, Avril, Sugababes are nostalgic (as others have said). It's the same as artists like Shakin' Stevens getting a big reception a while ago.

How people do Glastonbury seems to have changed. Whatever you think of it - people now go in for the viral moments. That could be a post-pandemic thing. It could be the increase in social media usage. But people are more likely to want a big singalong to some classic pop than to sit and chin-stroke to something they're not familiar with.

I'm not immune to this - I went to watch Balming Tiger this year. My thought process was 'when am I ever going to see a Korean band?' I wouldn't buy a ticket to see them live, especially with ticket prices these days.

The masses now want to go to the festival and experience things they wouldn't buy a ticket for themselves. I can imagine very few people would go to an Avril Lavigne concert who attended her set on Sunday, but as she's already playing 'let's check her out, that will be a laugh!'

Part of that is also the festival felt way younger to me this year. Massive, massive crowds of people in their 20s/30s concentrating only on their groups.