Arcadia 2024

aj6658

14 minutes ago, Yeo-vile idiot said:

Dam it spotter fail I was going on the cab they showed on the back of a low loader back in 22 looks like since then now have another and a lynx 

IMG_4718.jpeg

yeah 654 was a very busy girl indeed. Went to the south Atlantic on Ark Royal! So probably worked very hard after we lost conveyor and her chinooks. 

11 hours ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Personally i think it's going to have to go some way to be more physically imposing than the spider.

But it would seem it’ll be bigger than the spider so it could be. It would be amazing if the wings are as wispy as a dragonfly’s and they actually beat as if in flight. 

1 hour ago, bennyboi said:

yeah 654 was a very busy girl indeed. Went to the south Atlantic on Ark Royal! So probably worked very hard after we lost conveyor and her chinooks. 

So, does that mean it was a war machine? 😳

7 minutes ago, stuie said:

So, does that mean it was a war machine? 😳

yes, however, she was build to hunt/sink submarines, and the only Argie sub we got didn’t sink & it wasn’t attacked by a sea king. 

We lost a ship that was carrying our big cargo helicopters, so a lot of other helicopters were repurposed as mules. But it could have also spent the rest of the war keeping an eye out for subs. 

Edited by bennyboi

14 minutes ago, bennyboi said:

yes, however, she was build to hunt/sink submarines, and the only Argie sub we got didn’t sink & it wasn’t attacked by a sea king. 

We lost a ship that was carrying our big cargo helicopters, so a lot of other helicopters were repurposed as mules. But it could have also spent the rest of the war keeping an eye out for subs. 

Well in that case I’m glad they’ve gone for a nice dragonfly theme and I hope it looks unrecognisable as a chopper! Hopefully they are leaning more towards lasers and video mapping tech rather than fire and explosions too! 

9 minutes ago, stuie said:

Well in that case I’m glad they’ve gone for a nice dragonfly theme and I hope it looks unrecognisable as a chopper! Hopefully they are leaning more towards lasers and video mapping tech rather than fire and explosions too! 

I like the fact it was used in anger, its almost like its been given a chance of redemption.

It can now spend its days dispensing beats and joy, not torpedo's and depth charges. 

I don't think its the only Falklands vet at the fest, there use to be a Wessex in the SE corner, I heard somewhere that was busy in '82. 

52 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

I'm not sure about that.

All depends on the wings, which remain the be seen. Body wise the sea king is bigger than spider though!

1 hour ago, bennyboi said:

I like the fact it was used in anger, its almost like its been given a chance of redemption.

It can now spend its days dispensing beats and joy, not torpedo's and depth charges. 

I don't think it’s the only Falklands vet at the fest, there use to be a Wessex in the SE corner, I heard somewhere that was busy in '82. 

I like that and I’ll run with that to make it feel better. Still think there’s a danger of the optics with fire and explosion though. 

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

I like that and I’ll run with that to make it feel better. Still think there’s a danger of the optics with fire and explosion though. 

Agreed, tbh regardless of where the gas came from and how cool lots of fire is. It seems a bit wasteful when equally cool effects can be achieved electronically.

6 minutes ago, bennyboi said:

Agreed, tbh regardless of where the gas came from and how cool lots of fire is. It seems a bit wasteful when equally cool effects can be achieved electronically.

Just don’t want it to feel like a helicopter in a war zone! 

Still think we’re going to see drone lighting at this festival, so Arcadia could be part of that. 

9 minutes ago, bennyboi said:

Sorry but I think that the adrenaline produced by the woosh and heat as well as the light could not be reproduced electronically. Or if it was then it would probably burn more biofuel in the generators than you would in the burners. 

1 minute ago, tarw said:

Sorry but I think that the adrenaline produced by the woosh and heat as well as the light could not be reproduced electronically. Or if it was then it would probably burn more biofuel in the generators than you would in the burners. 

i know its epic and its a bit reason why Acradia is what it is. 

"Equally cool" not reproduce. There would be a lot of bald, blind people if you tried that with lasers. 

31 minutes ago, tarw said:

I think Arcadia tweeted ages ago there would be 🔥

Ben

2 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I think Arcadia tweeted ages ago there would be 🔥

Ben

yeah they did, I posted a screenshot earlier in the thread… 😀

• Like 1

I always thought that Arcadia used the pyro stuff really well and quite sparingly.  Always had impact and worked well with the music and light show.  Sure they'll get it right again.

3 hours ago, Northtim said:

Surprised it doesn't seem to have been painted?  Still time I suppose.

i'd expected a cool paint job to help with the Dragonfly effect

You can see it quite clearly on the cam now and it is still grey, but nothing stopping them painting it on site

10 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

You can see it quite clearly on the cam now and it is still grey, but nothing stopping them painting it on site

Yes,its being lifted on the Cam now.  There is an brief transport/arrival film on the Arcadia Insta too.

image.png.810ab47d9ffc5954ec92fbb562caff8e.png

9 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

It’s not gonna be painted . They’ve had two plus years to do that if they were going to … the crane never got painted untill they were trying to blend it in at a later stage 

I think they ran out of time… I reckon this will be sprayed in situ 

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

I think they ran out of time… I reckon this will be sprayed in situ 

Don’t think so personally . They have to be very careful when painting the bins onsite and use special paint . Will see shortly