Arcadia 2024

aj6658

I absolutely loved it. It's totally mesmerising - lighting and projections are phenomenal. Fair play to the arcadia team on this one. After 10 years (+?) of spidey I was ready for a change and I think this is spot on. Think you really need videos of it for full effect, but photo from the underbelly last night here. 

IMG20240629020406.jpg

• Like 2

Definitely a worthy successor, loved the opening ceremony... The way the wings came to life.

Folks leaving moaning about the lack of RHRN from Fatboy... It was so bloody obvious he was coming back... 

Have a little video of it, but it's in 4k, so gonna take a while to upload, will share when it's done. 

21 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Definitely a worthy successor, loved the opening ceremony... The way the wings came to life.

Folks leaving moaning about the lack of RHRN from Fatboy... It was so bloody obvious he was coming back... 

Have a little video of it, but it's in 4k, so gonna take a while to upload, will share when it's done. 

The the opening ceremony was boring personally but Amelie Lens was great 

I love the dragonfly, didn’t think from the size of it that it was going to be as impressive as the spider or Pangea but what it lacked in size it made up for in visuals and improved sound. 

Love the wings, the projection mapping.. we had a great night there Saturday.  Hats off to Arcadia for creating another great dance venue. 

IMG_0666.jpeg

IMG_0667.jpeg

IMG_0665.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gfa said:

I really liked it - Hot Chip were great and the visual impact is good

Its not as good of a concept / stage as the spider but as Pipine said the sound was miles better.

Shame it spits gasoline all over the audience!

Not just me then!!! 

Although I swear it was just water, it didn’t smell of anything at all, and yet it only occurred with each flame effect. 

Is there somebody science enough here to explain why it may expel water at the same time? 

2 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Not just me then!!! 

Although I swear it was just water, it didn’t smell of anything at all, and yet it only occurred with each flame effect. 

Is there somebody science enough here to explain why it may expel water at the same time? 

Water is a by-product of fuel combustion.  It's why you see dripping coming from car exhaust pipes.

For example propane:

C3H8 + 5O2 → 3CO2 + 4H2O

Edited by HotChipWillBreakYourLegs

2 hours ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Water is a by-product of fuel combustion.  It's why you see dripping coming from car exhaust pipes.

For example propane:

C3H8 + 5O2 → 3CO2 + 4H2O

I am out of upvotes / reactions but thank you, I had a very distant memory of learning something along the lines of this, and told the missus that I thought it was water, so not to worry.  She was worried about us and the rest of the crowd, stood so close to the fire after being covered in what she thought may be fuel. But it just didn’t smell anything like as strong as fuel would. (I got covered in whatever it was.) 

So was there fire stuff at Arcadia at all, that's what made it special for me, especially the first time I saw it back in 2007/2008 I think, it would blow your head off and you could literally feel the heat/se the explosions from a long way away (from Row Mead campsite the first time I noticed it). Need the Lords of Lightning as well but they went a long time ago, and the arial acrobatics. I wasn't there so cant comment, but what was so good about Arcadia this year, it seems a little bit boring from the (very few) clips I have seen? What have I missed?

I was talking to one of the crew on Saturday and the large PV array and battery store across the back of the arena power the entire thing - no generators needed. and the flamethrowers are bio-gas - but they're not allowed to make the scream and whoosh noise they used to (which is a pity).

The sound is much better than than spiders - and you don't need to be right under the legs to hear anything. the dance area also seems much bigger. The mapping and light show are also pretty good and give it a couple of years and it'll evolve. Just remember the after-burner was before the spider....

I missed the excesses of the old flame throwers but apparently they can't burn that much fuel anymore -

BTW : The droplets that come down from the burners are water not fuel....

Edited by Penrhos