End of the Rabbit Hole

Helsbels

16 hours ago, Talcroft said:

One of my most treasured memories - still have the signed playing card from the Mad Hatter because he told me to "keep it safe" in 2014 and I haven't thrown it away since in case something terrible happened (nb. What nonsense. Loads of terrible things have happened to me since then.) 

But, all good things to come to an end. Slightly worried it's the end of microvenues - couldn't get into the piano bar last year despite queuing from 11.30 (tbf, I sacked the queue off at 2am...just seemed like such a waste of time knowing what else I could be enjoying). 

Appreciate I'm feeling it more this week with the Shelter rug taken from under my feet, but it does feel like big changes afoot behind the scenes.

Yeah I think micro venues have had their day sadly. Unlike Shangri-La’s alleyways 15 or so years ago it’s impossible to keep anything at Glastonbury a secret anymore.

Watched Jesse Malin in there in 2022 (as well as Strummerville and Rocket Lounge) was fantastic. 

Its just when the bigger acts play not so secret sets you can't get near. Or on the first couple of days when not a massive amount on.  

Went to see Prima Queen this year and She drew the gun on a prior year and it was rammed and they are not exactly huge acts.

Edited by Popsider75

30 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Yeah I think micro venues have had their day sadly. Unlike Shangri-La’s alleyways 15 or so years ago it’s impossible to keep anything at Glastonbury a secret anymore.

The programme kind of gives away the secrets anyway… the alleyways were always in the programme, as was Rabbit Hole. How many people read the programme? 

1 hour ago, stuie said:

The programme kind of gives away the secrets anyway… the alleyways were always in the programme, as was Rabbit Hole. How many people read the programme? 

Only the decoy Rabbit Hole was on the map though.

That said I found the place (the real Rabbit Hole) a bit "oh is that it?" when I went. 

As with the piano bar, people build stuff up far bigger than it actually is. 

5 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Has anyone experienced great entertainment at the piano bar, I’ve been twice but never saw anything of real interest. 

Hozier played last year. I wasn’t there but was sent a photo by someone who was. I’m not sure it’s meant to be great entertainment more kinda trippy interactive weirdness from how my friends described it and it’s not piano bars fault people queue for hours for a tiny capacity venue. 

7 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

It’s just the end of massive acts at micro venues. Rabbit Hole was great so long as correctly sized acts were playing there which was most of the time. And the secret part the same - I think you could get in so long as you queued before the popular times. 

On 12/16/2023 at 2:24 PM, Avalon_Fields said:

Has anyone experienced great entertainment at the piano bar, I’ve been twice but never saw anything of real interest. 

Yes I had a fabulous afternoon in there (no queue).. as for the rabbit hole.. I *think* I was in there...

2 hours ago, Helsbels said:

I went to Funkingham Palace. Was there another secret bit?

2019 there was another square room with a hot tub in seperate from Funkingham Palace, don't think there has been since though. 

I was in The Bimble Inn a couple of years when great excitement broke out. Jamie Callum did a few songs on the piano. I may have got excited myself other than I had absolutely no idea who he was!!  Heard the name but knew nothing about him being 100% honest. These things still do pop up occasionally. Just a pity I didn't quiet appreciate that one.

• 2 months later...