2024 New Music

Quark

The new Beth Gibbons album is so good! So beautiful and haunting. It feels like another Portishead album for me, except with a more psyfolk-acoustic sound. The music feels so purposeful and her lyrics are full of wisdom, my new favourite album of the year.

Listened to Jack White's new album start to finish twice and really rate it. Hoping he tours it in the next 12 months, last 3 albums have featured high in my albums of the year, the years they were released in!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Baggins7 said:

Listened to Jack White's new album start to finish twice and really rate it. Hoping he tours it in the next 12 months, last 3 albums have featured high in my albums of the year, the years they were released in!

1 hour ago, leej7 said:

It’s brilliant. Jack White, get back on the road please!

He is back on the road. Mainly filling in spots for QOTSA but more to come no doubt.

https://jackwhiteiii.com/tour-dates/

Finally gotten round to listening to HMHAS, new Billie Eilish album + i'm really liking it. Sounds like she + finneas have stopped chasing a certain sound and just gone ahead and done what they want a bit which I appreciate. Sounds more mature than her previous albums, and it feels like her vocals have stepped up a bit too. Her best album imo.

12 hours ago, st dan said:

Really enjoying 86TV’s (Maccabees spin off) debut album. Some really good songs on there, and they’ve filled the Maccabees shaped void much more than Orlando’s solo stuff ever has. 

Nice did not know about this I love the Maccabees but generally could not stand any of Orlando's solo stuff.

I hope they get back together one day 

2 hours ago, RossTC said:

Loving both Jack Whites album and 86 TV's. Really hope JWiii does a decent tour over here this time, its been years since hes played more than the odd show at Hammersmith Apollo.

It's been very frustrating hasn't it, was the same when The Raconteurs returned too, they did two shows here in the UK both in the capital and one was a festival. Just looking at my Setlist FM, 2018 was the last time I saw a Jack White show that wasn't a festival or in London.

New king Gizz on Friday 

3 tracks on Spotify already are real growers .  Sounds like going for a blues rock sound with this one and the tracks available are quite fun 

some of the really hard metal stuff is a bit heavier than I would normally go for so happy with an album in this direction 

was blown away when saw them in Brixton earlier this year 

Finally gotten round to listening to BRAT and I totally get the hype. It's banger after banger. It's hard and nasty and then at the same time it's Charli's most introspective album yet. Amazing how she manages to blend all of that into one album. I had to listen to it twice to really feel the impact of it. Would be crazy for Glastonbury not to book her next year. Shot straight up to my album of the year, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

On 8/4/2024 at 10:03 PM, Ben7amin_ said:

Nice did not know about this I love the Maccabees but generally could not stand any of Orlando's solo stuff.

I hope they get back together one day 

We spent an afternoon drinking with Jack the drummer from Foals at Calas Mijas festival last year and we got to talking about The Maccabees, both of the bands are quite close and Jack was saying Hugo thought there would be no interest in reunion of which me and our mates were refuting that notion. He said they were keen to play but hopefully that itch is completely stratched by 86TVs. I would love a new Maccabees record.

56 minutes ago, Slugy said:

We spent an afternoon drinking with Jack the drummer from Foals at Calas Mijas festival last year and we got to talking about The Maccabees, both of the bands are quite close and Jack was saying Hugo thought there would be no interest in reunion of which me and our mates were refuting that notion. He said they were keen to play but hopefully that itch is completely stratched by 86TVs. I would love a new Maccabees record.

That's a shame, never really understood the split reasons felt like they just decided to stop didnt seem to be any trouble in the band. 

Given to the wild will always be a 10 out of 10 album in my book.

Thanks for the info. 

• Upvote 1

Liking the new Sturgill Simpson (or 'Johnny Blue Skies') album. It's some of his best stuff since 2016 imo. For people who like Country music - except his is more authentic and interesting than the usual kind. I like how he delves into more psychedelic and lush textural sounds in his arrangements while still being grounded in simple country songs.