2024 New Music

Quark

On 8/6/2024 at 11:29 AM, WS_Jack_III said:

It's been very frustrating hasn't it, was the same when The Raconteurs returned too, they did two shows here in the UK both in the capital and one was a festival. Just looking at my Setlist FM, 2018 was the last time I saw a Jack White show that wasn't a festival or in London.

Yeah i found it strange because in the early days of the Racs and with the White Stripes he'd tour the whole of the UK. Not sure what changed for them to not do that now?! 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RossTC said:

Yeah i found it strange because in the early days of the Racs and with the White Stripes he'd tour the whole of the UK. Not sure what changed for them to not do that now?! 

Shame too. in great form

• Upvote 1

The new Clairo album is lovely, I'm enjoying the direction she's been going in since Sling. She's allowing herself to get personal and introspective, and she's taking on some retro influences with her music too. I like how rich and warm the instrumentation and production of the album is. Would be good to see her back at the farm next year hopefully.

20 hours ago, The Nal said:

Shame too. in great form

This is brilliant, just seem the weird statement hes put out about touring basically without any/much notice for the gigs hes doing. Cant say that lends itself to an extensive uk tour! 😞

Top 10 albums of the year so far:

1) Kneecap - Fine Art

2) One Step Closer - All You Embrace (emo/hardcore)

3) Charli XCX - BRAT

4) Bayside - There Are Worse Things Than Being Alive

5) Childish Gambino - Brando Stone And The New World

6) Bad Omens - CONCRETE JUNGLE [THE OST]

7) Mannequin Pussy - I Got Heaven

8. Vacations - No Place Like Home

9) The Libertines - All Quiet On The Eastern Esplanade

10 Sum 41 - Heaven x Hell

Honorable mentions - Smashing Pumpkins, English Teacher, Sprints, Jaws The Shark, Nia Archives, Knocked Loose and a ton more.

Bottom 3 albums of the year so far:

3rd bottom) Taylor Swift - The Tortured Poets Department

2nd bottom) The Dangerous Summer - Gravity

Bottom bottom) - Say Anything - ...Is Committed

On 8/14/2024 at 9:12 AM, RossTC said:

This is brilliant, just seem the weird statement hes put out about touring basically without any/much notice for the gigs hes doing. Cant say that lends itself to an extensive uk tour! 😞

I'm extremely worried it'll be a late announcement for a London show and i'll miss out, at least if he was announcing them in advance I could plan to make it down there somehow.

Just listened to the new Vince Staples from a couple months back and I'm liking it. Sounding more mature than previous releases and the production's top. He's pretty consistently good. Feels like a bit of a step up since the last one too, mastered the neo-soul tinged low key style. Hope they get him back next year, last time he played was 2016. Maybe same slot as Danny Brown this year?

On 8/16/2024 at 5:59 PM, WS_Jack_III said:

I'm extremely worried it'll be a late announcement for a London show and i'll miss out, at least if he was announcing them in advance I could plan to make it down there somehow.

Exactly my thoughts, though i notice those Scandinavia dates he just played he at least gave a couple weeks notice. Think logistically he may have to give more notice outside the states. 

5 hours ago, RossTC said:

Exactly my thoughts, though i notice those Scandinavia dates he just played he at least gave a couple weeks notice. Think logistically he may have to give more notice outside the states. 

Were these not the shows he stepped in to replace QOTSA though?

Wow Jack White's new one is great. Totally back to basics, reminding everyone he's the absolute king of garage rock. It sounds like an ode to the music that made him. Can hear Led Zeppelin in there, but mostly it sounds like the old White Stripes days. Getting me nostalgic. It feels so purposeful I love it.

• Upvote 3

Finally gotten round to listening to Arooj Aftab's new one - what a sublime album. It's soothing music for the soul. Takes me back to that sunny Saturday afternoon on the Park stage this year. It's one of the most gorgeous sounding albums I've heard this year, give it a listen!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm only 4 months late with this one but I finally got round to listening to the new Phosphorescent album today - and Christ what a beautiful thing it is! I'm so looking forward to seeing him (them) next weekend at EOTR. 

Oh and the new Fontaines DC album is a belter too. Neither of these albums are going to displace Waxahatchee as my album of the year, but they are both in my top 5.

Can't help but be a bit underwhelmed by Fontaines, there's some great tracks in there but it's lacking the teeth I expected after Starbuster and Here's The Thing. Probably a 7/10, Dogrel still reigns supreme.

Edited by Porcelina
  • Upvote 1

On 8/23/2024 at 1:13 PM, Acid_Haze said:

Finally gotten round to listening to Arooj Aftab's new one - what a sublime album. It's soothing music for the soul. Takes me back to that sunny Saturday afternoon on the Park stage this year. It's one of the most gorgeous sounding albums I've heard this year, give it a listen!

I will. The words I’d use for her Park performance: pure class