2024 New Music

Quark

3 hours ago, Homersexual said:

How do you guys discover new music these days? I used to use Spotify for recommendations but cancelled my subscription a few months ago. Before that, I read Q Magazine and the NME, but both of those are gone now.

Are there any decent resources out there for indie/popheads these days (that aren't geared towards Americans)?

https://www.albumoftheyear.org/releases/this-week/

I check this every Friday morning - it’s a comprehensive list of all new releases, and then I just work my way down and check out the reviews/genres etc. It covers all genres too. 

I’ve found loads of new artists from here, and found out about new albums I would definitely have missed!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, st dan said:

I check this every Friday morning - it’s a comprehensive list of all new releases, and then I just work my way down and check out the reviews/genres etc. It covers all genres too. 

I’ve found loads of new artists from here, and found out about new albums I would definitely have missed!

anydecentmusic.com has a good app that I dip into for inspiration

• Like 1

The new Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds is great, it's definitely a bigger sound than the last 3 albums, and less melancholic. I'm not sure I prefer it to the previous ones (Push the Sky Away and Skeleton Tree were absolute masterpieces) but it's still really enjoyable. It's definitely more godly and spiritual than previous albums, in a good kind of way though.

22 hours ago, Homersexual said:

How do you guys discover new music these days? I used to use Spotify for recommendations but cancelled my subscription a few months ago. Before that, I read Q Magazine and the NME, but both of those are gone now.

Are there any decent resources out there for indie/popheads these days (that aren't geared towards Americans)?

NME still put out a review on the website of most new albums its a good guide as to what is out -   (i find there reviews to be very positive to certain popular artists regardless of the quality). so best jump in and judge for yourself - but still a useful tool for what is coming out. 

https://www.nme.com/reviews/album

• Like 1

Has the Spotify personal "Radar" playlist declined in usefulness recently for everyone else?  I find it misses new songs from artists I like,  it often repeats a loads of songs from the previous week, and often contains a loads of bands I've never heard of and whose songs aren't very good.

1 hour ago, uscore said:

Has the Spotify personal "Radar" playlist declined in usefulness recently for everyone else?  I find it misses new songs from artists I like,  it often repeats a loads of songs from the previous week, and often contains a loads of bands I've never heard of and whose songs aren't very good.

I think Spotifys algorithms are a bit poo better curating for yourself I find - I suspect there might be paid promotion in there for certain tracks to be pushed ahead of others - 

On 9/12/2024 at 2:01 PM, st dan said:

Seconding this, I set myself a goal of listening to 500 newly released albums in 2024 and Friday mornings checking here has become one of my favourite parts of the week