2024 New Music

Quark

On 8/24/2024 at 12:45 PM, Porcelina said:

Can't help but be a bit underwhelmed by Fontaines, there's some great tracks in there but it's lacking the teeth I expected after Starbuster and Here's The Thing. Probably a 7/10, Dogrel still reigns supreme.

I think Skinty Fia is probably still my favourite but it's still pretty great.

I enjoyed Starburster. I think it lacks any sort of real punch or sing-along tracks, but the vibe throughout is great, and some of the songwriting is masterful. I think objectively it's probably better than Skinty fia, but I'd rather listen to the latter. 

The new Shellac album is a good one. The last album by one of the 90s' great rock producers, the late Steve Albini and his band. Still sounding as great as they did in the 90s. Short and sweet and full of noisy mathy riffs and rhythms, the band sounds super tight and interesting. It's got a great aggressive energy to it too.

1 hour ago, Acid_Haze said:

The new Shellac album is a good one. The last album by one of the 90s' great rock producers, the late Steve Albini and his band. Still sounding as great as they did in the 90s. Short and sweet and full of noisy mathy riffs and rhythms, the band sounds super tight and interesting. It's got a great aggressive energy to it too.

I was a bit disappointed by it, but to be fair I think I set my expectations high as I love Shellac. Still, a good enough listen

Absolutely adore the new Fontaines DC album, no skips on it for me at the moment. My current highlights are Horseness Is The Whatness, Favourite, Romance, Motorcycle Boy. Too early for me to decide where I rank it in their discography as I've enjoyed all four albums a lot - but I would say that this is definitely their most polished work, and I mean that in a good way only.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sildante said:

Absolutely adore the new Fontaines DC album, no skips on it for me at the moment. My current highlights are Horseness Is The Whatness, Favourite, Romance, Motorcycle Boy. Too early for me to decide where I rank it in their discography as I've enjoyed all four albums a lot - but I would say that this is definitely their most polished work, and I mean that in a good way only.

Agreed. I've had it on repeat all week. It's a fantastic album

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Gejonimo said:

I was a bit disappointed by it, but to be fair I think I set my expectations high as I love Shellac. Still, a good enough listen

Yeah to be fair it's not as good as anything they did pre-2000 but still surprisingly solid.

Love the new Cassandra Jenkins album. Lovely dreamy, jazzy instrumentals with some warm delicate vocals. Quite a varied sound too, goes between dream-pop to country to alt-rock. The sort of album you can listen to and get new meaning out of each time. Would recommend.

Listened to the new Fontaines - what a blinder of an album. Not sure if any of the album tracks top Starbuster or Favourite, there's definitely a reason why those ones were released first - they're probably the best songs Fontaines have ever released. Don't know if I can call it their best album, but it's seriously good. Makes me remember how brilliant they were headlining the Park stage this year.

• Like 2

Wow I would recommend the new Magdalena Bay album. It might be one of the best albums i've heard this year. Such a refreshing different take on pop music. I love how creatively it weaves the production into the songwriting, it's densely packed with amazing music, you can tell they put so much into it. It really surprised me.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CharlotteB said:

VIVA HINDS by Hinds came out a few days ago. Brilliant little album. I feel like this is a band just hitting it's stride.

That's really good to hear, will give it a go this weekend. Was worried as they've recently lost 50% of their members

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mardy said:

That's really good to hear, will give it a go this weekend. Was worried as they've recently lost 50% of their members

Yeah, I was a bit worried too, and I don't know the story behind any of it. It feels like the core creative force is still there though 👍🏼

Liking Beabadoobee's new album. I've got a soft spot for this kind of lovely simple unpretentious pop/rock music with a lot of heart. It's got a nice little dose of melancholy too that I like. 

She's got a good voice too. Fully expecting them to show up again at Glastonbury next year.

How do you guys discover new music these days? I used to use Spotify for recommendations but cancelled my subscription a few months ago. Before that, I read Q Magazine and the NME, but both of those are gone now.

Are there any decent resources out there for indie/popheads these days (that aren't geared towards Americans)?