In Memoriam

clarkete

• 4 weeks later...

Playing the 2 CDs I have of his, Ali & Toumani and In the Heart of the Moon. Pretty ideal for Sunday morning. He’s one of the amazing African musicians and I rate much of the music from that continent as amongst my favourite: Tinariwen, Orchestra Baobab, Ali and Vieux Farka Toure, Fatoumata Diawara, Mdou Moctar, Bassekou Kouyate, etc etc…

31 minutes ago, The Nal said:

RIP. Had tickets for him a while back but he cancelled. 

Did Mayall ever play the G?

Don't think so, however:

Bath Festival of Blues and Progressive Music in the summer of 1970 has gone down in music history as a groundbreaking forerunner of large-scale modern British festivals as we’ve come to know and love them. All the acts ran late, traffic and security were a nightmare, the wind blew, the rain poured, there wasn’t enough food to go round, it didn’t make any money and it never happened again, but the music fans had a ball all the same.

And the ambitious and chaotic extravaganza on June 27 and 28 at the Bath and West Showground, near Shepton Mallet was the inspiration behind Michael Eavis’s Worthy Farm Pop Festival, which happened three months later. The two-day bill boasted an incredible line-up of American artists, like Canned Heat, Steppenwolf, Johnny Winter, Jefferson Airplane, The Byrds, Santana, Dr John, It’s A Beautiful Day and Country Joe, with Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention a late addition to the bill, alongside a top roster of British rock and blues acts.

Headliners Led Zeppelin, about to become the “biggest band in the world” were joined by Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, John Mayall, Fairport Convention, Colosseum and Donovan. A year earlier, in June 1969, Freddy Bannister and his wife, Wendy, had put on the first, super laid back and much smaller, one-day Bath Festival of Blues in the grounds of Bath Pavilion, where they had already promoted gigs by The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix.

• Upvote 1

It's the 'I may be an old fart but at least I got to see all the good music' time.  I actually went to both those festivals and still have the posters on my loo walls.  Standouts  at Shepton Mallet for me were Pink Floyd doing the first performance of Atom Heart Mother and Jefferson Airplane.  At Bath Pavillion it was Adrian Henri and the Liverpool Scene leading a chant of 'I hate Enoch.'

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Danielle Moore from Crazy P.

Only 52 years old.

Sad news.

We saw Crazy P at Lost Village a few years ago, Danielle asked some dude to go and grab her a shot of tequila from the bar mid gig.

Top voice. Top performer.

Saw her only last week at Lost Village ☹️

not a musician and I do nt know if he has been mentioned but Christ York from SjM and one of the founders of Teenage Cancer Trust https://www.musicweek.com/live/read/sjm-pays-tribute-to-chris-york-leading-promoter-who-helped-define-uk-s-live-music-scene/090205

some might say he had a lot to do with this reunion. I met  him afew times on  this bloody journey and he always had a laugh and some good gossip to pass our appointments. He was a very kind man and I will miss his face and banter. I always laughed are they getting back together I need to put a bet on and he’d say not until I say so with a laugh. I don’t know if he had that pull or if he was joking.

Edited by angelin