In Memoriam

clarkete

24 minutes ago, Neil said:

the bbc obit omits one of his biggest gigs - as bassist for classical-rock band Sky for nearly twenty years

Very true. Great musicians in the band though I never really got into them. Used to borrow their albums from our  local library to give them a listen. 

• 2 weeks later...

RIP Kriss Kristofferson.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cjwd69n7xxgo

He came through work a couple of times in his later touring years.

His chaperones were very very protective of him in an, "answering questions on his behalf, no he won't get off of the bus, no you can't get on and see him", type of way.

Maybe he was in lizard form?

Seriously though, made my Modern Slavery/Abuse training spidey senses tingle. Above my pay grade. Only person I've ever encountered to be admitted without being seen iirc. Twice.

So sad to hear about the passing of Kris Kristofferson. Saw him at Glastonbury a few years back, and although he was obviously past his performing peak, it was a privilege to hear his amazing body of work from the man himself 💕 

36 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

So sad to hear about the passing of Kris Kristofferson. Saw him at Glastonbury a few years back, and although he was obviously past his performing peak, it was a privilege to hear his amazing body of work from the man himself 💕 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ec584f/play/a2qqwh/p0573bvw

1 hour ago, CharlotteB said:

Sadly well past his prime- was one of the worst performances on the Pyramid I have seen in years. He just looked terribly sad 😞 

His early days:

Kristofferson got a job sweeping floors at Columbia Recording Studios in Nashville. He met June Carter there and asked her to give Johnny Cash a tape of his. She did, but Cash put it on a large pile with others. He also worked as a commercial helicopter pilot for south Louisiana firm Petroleum Helicopters International (PHI), based in Lafayette, Louisiana. Kristofferson recalled of his days as a pilot, "That was about the last three years before I started performing, before people started cutting my songs. I would work a week down here [in south Louisiana] for PHI, sitting on an oil platform and flying helicopters. Then I'd go back to Nashville at the end of the week and spend a week up there trying to pitch the songs, then come back down and write songs for another week. I can remember "Help Me Make It Through the Night" I wrote sitting on top of an oil platform. I wrote "Bobby McGee" down here, and a lot of them [in south Louisiana]."[24]

Weeks after giving Carter his tapes, Kristofferson landed a helicopter in Cash's front yard, gaining his full attention.[25] A story about Kristofferson having a beer in one hand and some songs in the other upon arrival was reputed, but was later refuted, with Kristofferson saying, "It was still kind of an invasion of privacy that I wouldn't recommend. To be honest, I don't think he was there. John had a pretty creative memory."[26] Upon hearing "Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down", however, Cash decided to record it, and in 1970 Kristofferson won Songwriter of the Year for the song at the Country Music Association Awards.

He was unquestionably fairly frail and distant at his G show.  Maybe the only time I've questioned whether or not someone should be on the stage at all.  But that said if you took his limitations into account it was still an enjoyable set and I'm really glad I got the opportunity to see him perform.

I'm glad I saw him too, even though it was painful at times. Massively happy I saw Loretta Lynn's last ever gig, she could still impress at 85 or so. Worst was Aston 'Family Man' Barrett playing for The Wailers, he was literally wheeled out, they positioned his fingers on the bass for the start of each song but he soon lost it and dozed off. Really tragic.