UK Politics

kalifire

5 minutes ago, stuie said:

But when you increase the pension age, more people are going to fall ill and end up in that bracket of too sick to work, too young to retire. 

then the only answer is for you and your cohorts to work harder, so people like me can have an idle life. 🙂 

11 minutes ago, Neil said:

its almost like i know these situations myself, wasn't a problem with previous generations - grafters at all ages.

7 minutes ago, stuie said:

But when you increase the pension age, more people are going to fall ill and end up in that bracket of too sick to work, too young to retire. 

image.png.9b4fa4dd083fd99f97bc91b6bfb4ef17.png

numbers have increased recently...it isn't just due to pension age increasing...

3 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

It’s always the tories that bang on about stable governments etc then they went running to the DUP in 2017 to keep them in power.

up here in Scotland there’s only been one majority ever so every gov has been a collation or minority gov or something inbetween. No gov has even collapsed and there’s never had to be an early election 

iron grip on power and no one is held to account. anyone seen sturgeon lately?

Just now, steviewevie said:

numbers have increased recently...it isn't just due to pension age increasing...

the benefit system - the way pip is done, makes long term sick attractive. all you have to do (not my own case) is say you can't face going to work

Oh, well I can't face going to work...is it really that easy?

yeah just add "mental health" and it is that easy - pays better than pensions as well.

ok, brilliant. Don't need something called a diagnosis...?

in that world you make it up for yourself, no one can say with certainty what you're feeling.

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

when did i say it leads to good government? I said it makes people's votes count

count for what? what better outcome is achieved?

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

It's not as simple as you're making out 

essentially it is, needs a history alongside it but that can be made up in similar ways.

55 minutes ago, Neil said:

they're quite an aythoritan party, happy to take tax avoided money.

Now you really are making up nonsense.

The Greens are as far from Authoratarian as you can get - maybe if you read their policies and website rather than just presuming based on Right Wing media stories you would know.

26 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Wont that be partly demographics? the baby boom in the early 60's are now in their 60's. The other reason is the people in their 60's don't die as much they just get ill

Edited by lazyred
wrong arguement

4 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The Greens are as far from Authoratarian as you can get - maybe if you read their policies and website rather than just presuming based on Right Wing media stories you would know.

i know they're not likely to win in bristol at the ge, reckon their vote will be lower than last ge. labour look like the sane party now, and those switchers will vote for sanity.

5 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Cancelling the people you disagree with is not liberal. The Greens are now losing cases of discrimination against people with legal gender ciritical views.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Wont that be partly demographics?

Apparently not. The majority added post/during lockdowns are a combination of young people with anxiety and Work from home types with a bad back (probably bent over a laptop on the sofa for 18 months)

5 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Wont that be demographics? the baby boom in the early 60's are now in their 60's. Has the proportion of 50-64 with ill health gone up?

biggest group of pip claimers are younger and citing mental health for why they can't work. theres a higher proportion of oldies cos people are living longer, and a fact of being old often means a person can't work. biggest factor i reckon is the way my generation were sold the idea of retiring at 55 

3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Anyone would think there might be huge numbers on nhs waiting lists , decimated mental health services and people suffering long covid 

the people i know suffering bad long covid are still working.

Biggest issues are mental health for young people, then the bad backs kick in around late 30's to 40's before cardiovascular issues take the lead for over 50's.

The last two could be linked to the move from industrial/manufacturing economies to service sector. People sat behind desks all day and not moving.

The mental health in young people is a concern for both parties though. Apparently the current generation of 16 - 34 year olds as as likely to be too ill to work as 45 to 54 year olds 10 years ago.