UK Politics

kalifire

7 minutes ago, lost said:

The mental health in young people is a concern for both parties though. Apparently the current generation of 16 - 34 year olds as as likely to be too ill to work as 45 to 54 year olds 10 years ago.

Is this worse in the UK or the same in Europe/US?

2 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Is this worse in the UK or the same in Europe/US?

Havent a clue. I'd be interested to see the numbers vs say Sweden who didn't lock young people up.

21 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

It really isn't that easy. This is Daily Mail level BS.

No not that easy -  like any scam it needs to be worked with intelligence.

12 minutes ago, lost said:

Havent a clue. I'd be interested to see the numbers vs say Sweden who didn't lock young people up.

I think Sweden closed high schools and Unis...

Covid lockdowns were most probably a factor, keeping young people isolated can't be good, but there is a lot of other stuff going on too.  I expect the future looks pretty bleak for many young people at moment - and they're just getting blasted with addictive and sometimes very damaging social media crap constantly.

11 minutes ago, Neil said:

I think you really don’t know what you’re talking about and maybe should have a little more consideration considering you presumably receive PIP yourself (which you’re obviously justified to be getting to confirm)

like any system yes it is vulnerable to abuse in small numbers but the tories have been in power for 14 years, the DWP are hardly renowned for being soft touches are they 

I see those of a Right Wing tendency being those who like to blame those who do not work for legitimate reasons.

Seems some people really are rather Right Wing despite their protestations.

As for those who do not work for medical reasons - we are all different and unless you take the time to understand each person separately there is no way you can do a global statement.

I now do not work, having to wrap up my last business dealings due to having Meniere's Disease.

One thing I can assure you, I am not a lazy sponger and would work if I could but given every day when I wake up I have no idea how I will be that day who on earth will employ me and how could I carry on running my own business? Tomorrow I start my PIP application, I am sure I will meet many who will think I am not ill cos I don't look ill.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ok, defending Neil again, which isn't always easy...it has become easier to diagnose mental health issues over recent years as these things have become more understood, we now have more people being diagnosed with autism/asd or adhd for example...and these things would have been there before but now we have a diagnosis/label and an understanding that people with these conditions can't help it...and now with depression and/or anxiety we have more labels that people can help explain how they feel and get help for. Like with PTSD, this is not a new thing, but a condition. They once called it shell shock or whatever, but now it is understood much more. I don't know, it's a very complex area and I'm really not qualified, but my kid has struggled with her mental health through her adolescent years and has made me think about my own mental health, and basically I have self medicated with drugs and drink since my mid teens and now it has become obvious I am a functioning alcoholic. The human mind is complicated, whether diagnosing these conditions more is better or not I don't know, probably is I guess...but we need to get better as societies at helping people get through it...because societies need people to function, work and be productive, but they also need them to be healthy and happy.

Right, need another drink after that.

50 minutes ago, Neil said:

Do you not think that there might be a genuine rise in MH problems that we should be addressing or all they all clever scammers? 

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Can’t help thinking that if right wing c**ts like her didn’t stir up the hatred between groups there might be more integration and harmony. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The countering extremism commissioner was appointed by Priti Patel, the notorious bully and breacher of the ministerial code. 

The sooner these poisonous feckers are given a kicking at the ballot box the better. 

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

and...

I think the trouble with the debate about WFH is people who say it’s only positive or only negative, when the truth is somewhere in the middle.

i think working from home is great for some (not all)  people with physical or mental health problems who would struggle either to get to an office, or cope with the office environment.  I do however worry about some people with mental health issues masking them from home, when colleagues would pick up on issues in person and support could be offered.

I have also experienced how newly qualified members of staff have struggled through the distance that WFH creates. When I was a new starter you learned so much from those informal conversations in the kitchen or directly observing a colleague deal with something or take a phone call. We also have found that some people don’t want to get involved with student training as they have to come in the office which to me is detrimental. I know colleagues will say they can save money in childcare (although not convinced everyone is productive looking after kids at the same time as working) and travel but I think at times it can border on selfishness if you aren’t giving others the opportunity and support you had.

Overall I favour some kind of hybrid model, but it’s definitely not an all or nothing argument for me.

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Do you not think that there might be a genuine rise in MH problems that we should be addressing or all they all clever scammers? 

I would think that as our understanding of mental health problems has improved (although a long way to go) that more are diagnosed and offered support, where previously they would have been considered awkward and just moved on. I have no doubt this causes increased sick days, but not convinced this is a terrible thing.

1 hour ago, stuie said:

no one of my generation could have got away with saying they found working too stressful, and seeing that the govt say most claiming pip are for MH problems i reckon there's a lot of scammers, like most benefits once people discovered how to exploit them, they got exploited.

2 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

I think you really don’t know what you’re talking about and maybe should have a little more consideration considering you presumably receive PIP yourself (which you’re obviously justified to be getting to confirm)

like any system yes it is vulnerable to abuse in small numbers but the tories have been in power for 14 years, the DWP are hardly renowned for being soft touches are they 

the govt admit that most pip claimants are for mh problems, I've never met someone who genuinely cant work cos its too stressful (pull yourself together lad, no income is more stressful) but I've met plenty too disabled to work.

2 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

you got a source for this?

the govt have released this info and its been reported in the papers, some of us take an interest in what's going on, some don't.

2 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

It really isn't that easy. This is Daily Mail level BS.

from a quick google i see there's loads of articles for how to do it, i supposed people did those articles  cos no no-one is doing it.

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

the govt admit that most pip claimants are for mh problems, I've never met someone who genuinely cant work cos its too stressful (pull yourself together lad, no income is more stressful) but I've met plenty too disabled to work.

Well now you have … me