UK Politics

kalifire

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

im not sure how generations work but im not sure we are a different generation 

if we were the same you wouldn't have gone to the docs about that. 

• Downvote 1

id encourage anyone reading to seek advice and support  over Mental Health issues and see your GP if necessary ... the kind of bollocks above leads to the  unecessary deaths of many men ( in particular ) around my age 

Edited by Crazyfool01
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

id encourage anyone reading to seek advice and support  over Mental Health issues and see your GP if necessary ... the kind of bollocks above leads to the necessary deaths of many men ( in particular ) around my age 

see a GP?!

better off just googling it.

7 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I mean what the f**k neil wow 

my generation knows hardship and knows that we can pull ourselves together, even after going to the docs, it was still all down to you to deal with, the doc made little difference apart from protecting your income.

4 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

id encourage anyone reading to seek advice and support  over Mental Health issues and see your GP if necessary ... the kind of bollocks above leads to the necessary deaths of many men ( in particular ) around my age 

must be nice living somewhere where you can see a gp.

12 minutes ago, Neil said:

my generation knows hardship and knows that we can pull ourselves together, even after going to the docs, it was still all down to you to deal with, the doc made little difference apart from protecting your income.

How did they protect your income?

23 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

im not sure how generations work but im not sure we are a different generation 

My generation remembers the 70s and even bits of the end of the 60s.

(Stuff like Beatles playing on top of the apple building.first moon landing. Pre decimal coins three day week and power cuts. Bread shortage, potato shortage. Labour govts that weren't blair. 

im not sure your generation remembers much of the 80s

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

(Stuff like Beatles playing on top of the apple building.first moon landing. Pre decimal coins three day week and power cuts. Bread shortage, potato shortage. Labour govts that weren't blair. 

Cheap houses, free education, families surviving on single incomes...

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

is this another boomer vs millennial thing?

Won't anyone think of the poor GenXers?

Not sure what it is TBH  ..... just think it's absolutely necessary to talk to the right people about Mental Health issues where possible and not treat it as something that people should hide and man up to .... given on the last couple of pages both myself and another poster have mentioned loss of peoples lives to MH issues 

17 minutes ago, Neil said:

My generation remembers all of that too - but I also manage to understand the modern world and how things change especially when connected to medical problems people suffer.

Put simply, I open my eyes to the world we all live in now and do not try to compare to a world long since past to make any comparisons cos they do not work and would just make me look stupid if I did.

15 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

stop acting like you fought in a war Neil FFS, you're so far off the mark with these views

Stop making it up in your head.not everyone could buy a house in the 70s Britain was never the utopia that was the  momentum fantasy.

45 minutes ago, Neil said:

You seemed to be saying it was a good thing. 

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

Stop making it up in your head.not everyone could buy a house in the 70s Britain was never the utopia that was the  momentum fantasy.

You said 'my generation knew hardship' as if every generation hasn't been totally f**ked in some way or another. 

no idea why you're talking about houses- not the discussion point 

Older generations were less aware of mental health problems, but they were certainly there but just not diagnosed as much I guess. Kids who were misbehaving or not listening and doing poorly at school would have been punished, now they get diagnosed with ADHD and helped. Kids who can't handle certain social or stressful situations and end up dropping  out of school and becoming reclusive now get diagnosed with autism and helped. People who have nervous breakdowns in past would just disappear from the workplace and end up in hospital or sectioned and get ECT and sometimes were never seen again, they now often get therapy and/or medication and help in life. People who could not go out due to anxiety or depression just stayed like that, you didn't see them, now again they can get help to live as much of a life as possible.  It is better now, but also more visible so feels more common?

I had a good friend who when young was a proper geezer and you would never know anything was wrong, but when he hit his late teens his behaviour became very strange and he was eventuallty diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic and his life has been kind of f**ked ever since. Not sure why I'm telling you this, just thought of it and it's sad. As far as I know he's not been able to hold down a job since, or any relationship or much of a life.

Edited by steviewevie
  • Upvote 1