UK Politics

kalifire

5 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

I was in south Korea last year and it amazes me that the doctor to patient ratio is so bad. We had to go to the hospital at one point and it seemed way better than a UK one and were seen so quickly. They're healthier over there I guess.

i don't guarantee what i said about the doctor/population ratio is accurate, but radio 4 had said it, just  before i made that post

8 hours ago, Neil said:

south korea has the lowest number of doctors per head in the developed world, and currently the doctors are on strike to stop the govt increasing the number of doctor training places. sounds pretty nuts but they don't want their importance diluted.in the uk, similar has happened - but without the strike  - one reason we're struggling for doctors is cos the  BMA has pressured the govt not to increase the number of training places by the amount required.

most people tend not to realise that the bma is a more than just a regularity body its also a trade  union,  and does trade union things to support its members.

That's  because many thousands have resigned.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-22/south-korea-trainee-doctors-protest-government-medical-students/103496418

Unlike in our country where its because we have one of the lowest comparable budgets per patient in the western world. 

On 2/22/2024 at 12:50 PM, pink_triangle said:

I remember a few years ago thinking Truss was just a bland, run of the mill generic Tory, at what stage did she go batshit crazy?

it probably started when she campaigned for tory leader i remember saying to a mate that she was making spaffer-like impossible promises.

35 minutes ago, clarkete said:

That's  because many thousands have resigned.

a lot have retired as well, problem is it was predictable, and bma wouldn't all enough replacements to be trained.

24 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I googled it too I think it is right. It just shocked me based on my (very limited) experience.

What figure did you find and how does it compare to the UK? 

"The country's population of 52 million had 2.6 doctors per 1,000 people in 2022" 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-22/south-korea-trainee-doctors-protest-government-medical-students/103496418

I've seen lower or comparable figures for the UK but clearly it varies up or down, particularly in the last few years and I think the government are much more keen to publish totals without reflecting demand. 

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

a lot have retired as well, problem is it was predictable, and bma wouldn't all enough replacements to be trained.

No, it related to my link about south Korea 😉

"Almost 8,000 trainee doctors in South Korea have walked off the job" 

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

she was talking about abolishing the monarchy when she was a lib dem.

that was before she started shagging a tory mp.

The right wing (formerly known as Far Right) are really starting to show their cards and show how things that used to be said behind closed doors are now acceptable mainstream and fine to say.

The message this sends out to nutters everywhere is frightening - and they know it!

I really hate to think how awful the next election will be and how many moderate folks will be radicalised by the barage of hate speak we are going to hear - mostly from the Right but also from some of the left.

10 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The right wing (formerly known as Far Right) are really starting to show their cards and show how things that used to be said behind closed doors are now acceptable mainstream and fine to say.

The message this sends out to nutters everywhere is frightening - and they know it!

I really hate to think how awful the next election will be and how many moderate folks will be radicalised by the barage of hate speak we are going to hear - mostly from the Right but also from some of the left.

its not just the far right who need to be pulled up for their extreme language, there's lots of similar extremes from other perspectives, that people who pretend to care just let waft past them - in these topics quite often.

36 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This could be the direction the tories go in after the election, all backed by their propaganda channel GB News.

if people start watching gb news to be outraged it'll soon have the same influence as fox news had in the states.