UK Politics

kalifire

52 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

you know where this is going is kind of seismic. Labour will win and will probably be in power for a while, but the alternative will likely become more right wing, more nationalist, more populist...and that alternative could win power...like it has been happening in europe and N and S America, it will happen here. It's actually terrifying, but the left will continue to fight amongst themselves and allow it to happen.

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It's a common criticism from the old school feminists that current progressives support womens rights that benefit men (abortion, contraception, trans, sex workers) and don't care much about womens rights that just affect women (maternity care, single sex spaces, womens sport)

11 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Day off after election approved . So hopefully the comedown from Glastonbury will be lifted on the Thurs eve / Fri 

surprise tory win will be the comedown killer after muddiest Glastonbury in the history of mankind.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

you know where this is going is kind of seismic. Labour will win and will probably be in power for a while, but the alternative will likely become more right wing, more nationalist, more populist...and that alternative could win power...like it has been happening in europe and N and S America, it will happen here. It's actually terrifying, but the left will continue to fight amongst themselves and allow it to happen.

Probably the only benefit of fptp. It’s likely reform is being overstated a bit but even if they get over 10% of the popular vote they’ll still get very few seats. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lazyred said:

It's a common criticism from the old school feminists that current progressives support womens rights that benefit men (abortion, contraception, trans, sex workers) and don't care much about womens rights that just affect women (maternity care, single sex spaces, womens sport)

My sis was in such a bad way after her first birth it was life threatening and she still had to argue for a Caesarian for her second, so I don’t think this change is needed.

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Appreciate the positivity 

Unless things collapse in the next few weeks I can’t see that happening at all.  But, if the worst case result does happen, at least we won’t wake up to the news at Glasto this time! 

14 minutes ago, stuie said:

Unless things collapse in the next few weeks I can’t see that happening at all.  But, if the worst case result does happen, at least we won’t wake up to the news at Glasto this time! 

Indeed . Although in many ways being with likeminded people helped me … had a run in with a Brexit voting colleague today who was whinging about the poor quality of fruit and veg So I responded that Brexit has reduced standards . Wouldn’t believe me and conversation ended when she started to tell me about the no money left note left by Labour . No point engaging with some sadly 

Edited by Crazyfool01
Added fruit and veg

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Indeed . Although in many ways being with likeminded people helped me … had a run in with a Brexit voting colleague today who was whinging about the poor quality . So I responded that Brexit has reduced standards . Wouldn’t believe me and conversation ended when she started to tell me about the no money left note left by Labour . No point engaging with some sadly 

Just tell her that there’s still no money left and the overdraft is 3 x bigger than it was back then. 

I doubt that she knows that! And she’ll probably keep going on about the note to other people who don’t know that either! 

4 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Indeed . Although in many ways being with likeminded people helped me

Yep, waking up to the result at glasto was grim, but it was probably the best place to be for those of us hoping for a remain result. The morning 'read the papers' session in the cabaret tent with Marcus Brigstocke and the others was brilliant, it was beyond packed and felt like a massive self-help group.

Just seen that Jamie Webster is opening Other Stage on Saturday… could be a nice ‘f**k the Tories’ moment?? 😳

23 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Yep, waking up to the result at glasto was grim, but it was probably the best place to be for those of us hoping for a remain result. The morning 'read the papers' session in the cabaret tent with Marcus Brigstocke and the others was brilliant, it was beyond packed and felt like a massive self-help group.

was really strange ... it didnt quite hit me until we were listening on the radio to the news on the Monday after while sat in the car waiting to exit the carparks  , shielded a little by being at the festival I guess .... sadly politicians ignoring the costs still .... maybe next election it becomes something thats talked about and the damage its doing 

just came across these words under an article......

I worked as a Housing Officer for a LA in South Wales last year - private rented accommodation priced at LHA rate simply no longer existed, whilst the LA paid out hundreds of thousands of pounds in hotels bills every year. It was simply ludicrous.

this sort of thing needs exposing too get HB levels increased.

39 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

I found it utterly bewildering to be at the festival at the time.

I woke up to a grown man actually sobbing down the phone in a neighbouring tent at about 8am because the uk had left a free trade bloc.

I was then and am now of the feeling that on balance better it was/is better to be in than out, and it obviously isnt going well, but f**k me, hordes of middle aged middle class people trudging around the site in collective miserable self pity about leaving A FREE TRADE BLOC.

The levels of hysteria on both sides was/is pathetic. The EU is a free trade bloc with some good and some bad bits. The end.

1 minute ago, mattiloy said:

I found it utterly bewildering to be at the festival at the time.

I woke up to a grown man actually sobbing down the phone in a neighbouring tent at about 8am because the uk had left a free trade bloc.

I was then and am now of the feeling that on balance better it was/is better to be in than out, and it obviously isnt going well, but f**k me, hordes of middle aged middle class people trudging around the site in collective miserable self pity about leaving A FREE TRADE BLOC.

The levels of hysteria on both sides was/is pathetic. The EU is a free trade bloc with some good and some bad bits. The end.

Guess you probably aren’t feeling the damage in Sweden then 😞