UK Politics

kalifire

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

Guess you probably aren’t feeling the damage in Sweden then 😞 

Swedes look at Norwegians with envy.

Better paid, better public services, stronger unions…

Not because of being outside of the EU, but also no worse for it.

10 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I found it utterly bewildering to be at the festival at the time.

I woke up to a grown man actually sobbing down the phone in a neighbouring tent at about 8am because the uk had left a free trade bloc.

there was a woman near me in tears cos cameron had resigned.

2 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Swedes look at Norwegians with envy.

Better paid, better public services, stronger unions…

Not because of being outside of the EU, but also no worse for it.

Well this country has lost a lot on leaving … along with Tory corruption the country is broken … 

2 hours ago, lazyred said:

That's very moving, it's hard to get the right tone and balance when it's your own child. We really need a better care service

theres lots of excellent carers - we need to change perceptions and wages so its a job people feel is worth doing.  seems like most carers now, have found a way to fit the work into their lifestyle; that needs looking at for how to recruit more carers.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

the battle for the soul of the Tory party to come. I will be hoping the moderates win out, but I don't think they will, until they get sick of opposition and shift leftwards and kick out the loons.

hunt will definitely lose his seat from a lurch to the right. Farnham, etc, are not extreme towns.(only immigration around there is from Ghurkha Nepalese in aldershot).

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Well this country has lost a lot on leaving … along with Tory corruption the country is broken … 

Yes and now instead you’re all going to vote for a party who has committed to continuity with those same policies. And thats why the UK is and always will be f**ked. The EU is irrelevant.

Just now, mattiloy said:

Yes and now instead you’re all going to vote for a party who has committed to continuity with those same policies. And thats why the UK is and always will be f**ked. The EU is irrelevant.

The only ones that don’t I think are the greens and I’d vote for them in a flash if they had hope of winning the seat . Sadly it’s next best and I reckon the Lib Dem’s will be the first to start calling for the return 

7 minutes ago, Neil said:

hunt will definitely lose his seat from a lurch to the right. Farnham, etc, are not extreme towns.(only immigration around there is from Ghurkha Nepalese in aldershot).

And we’ve finally gone red!

5 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Yes and now instead you’re all going to vote for a party who has committed to continuity with those same policies. 

a party that has accepted a democratic vote, no point going opposite to that unless you want to lose the election.

i see the corbynites are still fixated on losing.

Just now, Ryan1984 said:

And we’ve finally gone red!

not farnham!

decades ago i had to repaint some lampposts in a Farnham car park, someone asked me how come we were repainting in blue, i asked "who won the election?".

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

a party that has accepted a democratic vote, no point going opposite to that unless you want to lose the election.

Siri, who was Corbyn’s shadow brexit minister responsible for the peoples vote policy?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

The only ones that don’t I think are the greens and I’d vote for them in a flash if they had hope of winning the seat . Sadly it’s next best and I reckon the Lib Dem’s will be the first to start calling for the return 

Yes but membership of the the EU is not relevant to the UKs problems. Its not worth crying over.

For some reason people feel much less emotional about the electoral system which is arguably worth crying over. And is the root cause of all the UK’s problems.

3 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Siri, who was Corbyn’s shadow brexit minister responsible for the peoples vote policy?

good job corbyn has smartened up else we'd have more tories - who was the leader with a veto on policies.

goo

1 minute ago, mattiloy said:

Yes but membership of the the EU is not relevant to the UKs problems. Its not worth crying over.

For some reason people feel much less emotional about the electoral system which is arguably worth crying over. And is the root cause of all the UK’s problems.

thje voting system does decide how people vote, a corbynite misses the ponint yet again.

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

EU is obviously more than just a free trade block, although if I had been at Glastonbury I wouldn't have been upset because I'm way too cool and above it all.

Ah yes. Forgive my fascetiousness. The grown man was crying at 8am at a festival because of the understandable grief of the loss of the erasmus scheme.

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

I woke up to a grown man actually sobbing down the phone in a neighbouring tent at about 8am because the uk had left a free trade bloc.

maybe he ran a company that was reliant on that free trade block and he woke up with a comedown and had the realisation that his company was f**ked. Or something like that. 

15 minutes ago, stuie said:

maybe he ran a company that was reliant on that free trade block and he woke up with a comedown and had the realisation that his company was f**ked. Or something like that. 

You can have the free trade without the bloc. The uk didnt because there are only two voters in the uk, one who blames the inevitable consequences of a sh*t political system on migrants, and one who blames the inevitable consequences of a sh*t political system on brexit and Corbyn.

The uk is like an artist sat at a blank canvas. But the uk has bound its hands so the only thing left it is able to do is to sh*t all over the canvas. After completing their ouvre, the uk public decides it isn’t happy and takes out another canvas from a draw with its mouth, and then lays it on the floor before squatting over it anew and plastering it with more sh*t. The UK cries out of frustration. At no point does it unbind it’s hands.

Edited by mattiloy

Leaving the EU probably damaged the economy, but hard to quantity how much because all the other sh*t going on. We've been a bit screwed for a while, heavily reliant on financial sector which got battered in 2008, and ever since treading water. Leaving the EU was sad in my opinion, and also just stupid. Just saying everything would be wonderful under Corbyn is very easy and impossible to prove. Yes he may have nationalised utilities, yes he would have raised taxes and spent more, would that mean the economy was improving and things were good? Who knows. Public services would be in a better state though. Probably. But the economy might also have crashed and everyone is out of work. Maybe. We may also have had a much closer relationship with the EU, infact if he had won we would have had another referendum during covid, would have been interesting.

and mocking people for being upset over an election result is kind of lame. It's important for some people. I wasn't at Glastonbury that year, and didn't cry, but I was kind of upset, actually more shocked and angry. Because unlike a general election you don't get another chance in 5 years time, this felt permanent. And it was just so stupid, a government calling a referendum on a change they didn't want and didn't have a plan for. A very simple question with a very complicated result. A campaign with dumb nonsense from both sides, and that twat Johnson who helped drive that dumb nonsense ended up PM a few years later, another election result that I was angry about.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

and mocking people for being upset over an election result is kind of lame. It's important for some people. I wasn't at Glastonbury that year, and didn't cry, but I was kind of upset, actually more shocked and angry. Because unlike a general election you don't get another chance in 5 years time, this felt permanent. And it was just so stupid, a government calling a referendum on a change they didn't want and didn't have a plan for. A very simple question with a very complicated result. A campaign with dumb nonsense from both sides, and that twat Johnson who helped drive that dumb nonsense ended up PM a few years later, another election result that I was angry about.

Maybe we did need to leave but to do so without a plan was so irresponsible and damaging - I know businesses that were hugely affected and it’s made touring for creatives so much more difficult.

Obviously it also emboldened Farage and all the anti-immigrant rhetoric, which has left a legacy. I’d be interested to see how many people who voted did so because of trade deals vs immigration.

Also, the NHS still doesn’t have its £350 million a week (that was more a Johnson thing than Big Nige). Many would have voted based on that.

5 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Maybe we did need to leave but to do so without a plan was so irresponsible and damaging - I know businesses that were hugely affected and it’s made touring for creatives so much more difficult.

Obviously it also emboldened Farage and all the anti-immigrant rhetoric, which has left a legacy. I’d be interested to see how many people who voted did so because of trade deals vs immigration.

Also, the NHS still doesn’t have its £350 million a week (that was more a Johnson thing than Big Nige). Many would have voted based on that.

yes it was simple, we'd spend the money we give to EU on NHS, we'd have control of our borders, we'd have more sovereignty. That all really worked out well. Can't stand Farage, but always felt he was more honest...yes would hurt the economy a bit but that would be a price to pay to stop free movement of people, especially from Romania who you wouldn't want living next door. Good old honest prejudice, xenophobia and racism. Whereas Johnson and Gove said ignore the so called experts, the doomsters and gloomsters, everything would be awesome because we're British. And on remain side they struggled to give a positive story about EU and our place in it, you then you had Osborne and his apocolyptic predictions that was intended to scare but people just didn't trust (although leaving without a deal could have been pretty bad).

Anyway, we'll be back in a few decades, when Greens are in power and call a referendum to rejoin.

9 hours ago, Neil said:

But they do it so well don't they.