UK Politics

kalifire

8 hours ago, mattiloy said:

The uk is like an artist sat at a blank canvas. But the uk has bound its hands so the only thing left it is able to do is to sh*t all over the canvas. After completing their ouvre, the uk public decides it isn’t happy and takes out another canvas from a draw with its mouth, and then lays it on the floor before squatting over it anew and plastering it with more sh*t. The UK cries out of frustration. At no point does it unbind it’s hands.

This is sadly a rather good description of modern day UK.

9 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

The only ones that don’t I think are the greens and I’d vote for them in a flash if they had hope of winning the seat . Sadly it’s next best and I reckon the Lib Dem’s will be the first to start calling for the return 

If all the people that voted UKIP between 2014 and 2016 had that same thought process then UKIP would not have got 14% of the vote and in getting that would not have had the influence it did in getting the Tories to offer the referendum to try and win votes back.

So is a vote for  a party that actually wants to rejoin the EU a wasted vote if you use that example of what a growing percentage can do even if seats are not won?

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Leaving the EU probably damaged the economy, but hard to quantity how much because all the other sh*t going on. We've been a bit screwed for a while, heavily reliant on financial sector which got battered in 2008, and ever since treading water. Leaving the EU was sad in my opinion, and also just stupid. Just saying everything would be wonderful under Corbyn is very easy and impossible to prove. Yes he may have nationalised utilities, yes he would have raised taxes and spent more, would that mean the economy was improving and things were good? Who knows. Public services would be in a better state though. Probably. But the economy might also have crashed and everyone is out of work. Maybe. We may also have had a much closer relationship with the EU, infact if he had won we would have had another referendum during covid, would have been interesting.

The OBR, with all the data managed to quantify it - 4% of GDP lost.

2 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

If all the people that voted UKIP between 2014 and 2016 had that same thought process then UKIP would not have got 14% of the vote and in getting that would not have had the influence it did in getting the Tories to offer the referendum to try and win votes back.

So is a vote for  a party that actually wants to rejoin the EU a wasted vote if you use that example of what a growing percentage can do even if seats are not won?

I get you and understand and slightly tempted but under our voting system the Lib Dem’s will be my choice . I understand people making choices like yours and the reason they would . I hope the Green Party get some mps as I think a presence in parliament is absolutely needed 

12 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

That may well be a factor in the future, it certainly isn't in this election, labour have calculated they can do without them 

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

That may well be a factor in the future, it certainly isn't in this election, labour have calculated they can do without them 

Great so Labour calculate they don't need the Greens so they are fine without my vote, and that of others, so a vote for the Greens is NOT a vote for any other party like has been suggested so so often on here.

Thanks for the confirmation.

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Great so Labour calculate they don't need the Greens so they are fine without my vote, and that of others, so a vote for the Greens is NOT a vote for any other party like has been suggested so so often on here.

Thanks for the confirmation.

No, their calculation is there aren't enough people like you in seats they need to win.

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Jeremy Hunt has challenged Labour not to change/raise property taxes...how will Labour respond? 

Expect an answer in a couple of days.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Jeremy Hunt has challenged Labour not to change/raise property taxes...how will Labour respond? 

They're going to have to raise taxes somewhere, they've already ruled out what... NI , income tax, VAT - all the main ones.

The sums don't add up really but I get why Labout are saying we won't raise XYZ cause the Tories will repeat it a billion times all through the campaign. The fact remains tho that the Tories have raised taxes to the highest level for decades and people surely won't forget that.

13 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

They're going to have to raise taxes somewhere, they've already ruled out what... NI , income tax, VAT - all the main ones.

The sums don't add up really but I get why Labout are saying we won't raise XYZ cause the Tories will repeat it a billion times all through the campaign. The fact remains tho that the Tories have raised taxes to the highest level for decades and people surely won't forget that.

48 minutes ago, lazyred said:

How Reform could affect Tories

Was just thinking about this. Farage is extremely popular with his base but how far can it stretch beyond that? UKIP got like 12% in 2015- can reform really get over 15% say? I dunno. Good chance they get few seats but totally f**k over the Tories. 

It's probs good news for the Lib Dems who could get like 50 seats with like 10% of the popular vote. 

FPTP is mental!

6 hours ago, steviewevie said:

No, their calculation is there aren't enough people like you in seats they need to win.

Which is exactly what I am saying...... vote Green if you want as 'there aren't enough people like me' blah blah.................

So vote for who you want to vote for as it is not  a vote for any other. Anyway, with a 20plus percent lead now really is a great time to vote they way you really want...... a 2-3 percent lead now then we are talking the potential need for tactical.
 If you can't vote now for who you really want then when can you?

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Which is exactly what I am saying...... vote Green if you want as 'there aren't enough people like me' blah blah.................

So vote for who you want to vote for as it is not  a vote for any other. Anyway, with a 20plus percent lead now really is a great time to vote they way you really want...... a 2-3 percent lead now then we are talking the potential need for tactical.

Obviously depends what constituency you're in. Totally irrelevant what the lead is at a national level

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Obviously depends what constituency you're in. Totally irrelevant what the lead is at a national level

I see what you are getting a but I will disagree. If the national poll is 20 points up then Labour will win so voting now for who I want is irrelevant to anything local.

A smaller lead then if you want to avoid any particular party winning then perhaps tactical is the way and then that is a local thing.

Hope that makes sense.

Anyway, Vote Green 😉

8 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

think priority for many is just get the tories out.