UK Politics

kalifire

2 minutes ago, lost said:

I'm skeptical how much these policies will raise. For example I know $100k in ringgit in a malaysian bank account will buy me 5 years residencey in Kuala Lumpur where I can dispose of any assets whilst paying 0% capital gains.

Same with young people. Why stay and pay 50% + taxes inc student loans towards this boomerocracy and live in a shared house in a sh*tty city with sh*tty weather when there are loads of jobs you can do from a laptop lying on a beach in Bali paying no tax at all.

I think we sometimes over estimate how "special" our contry is and what people are prepared to pay for the privilege of living here.

Again, Londoner are c**ts etc...but London is not a sh*tty city, it is a great world city which is why everyone wants to live there and it's so expensive.

And living in Manchester I dispute the sh*tty weather claim (and I've been to Malaysia and most of the year it's either too hot or too wet).

7 minutes ago, lost said:

I'm skeptical how much these policies will raise. For example I know $100k in ringgit in a malaysian bank account will buy me 5 years residencey in Kuala Lumpur where I can dispose of any assets whilst paying 0% capital gains.

Same with young people. Why stay and pay 50% + taxes inc student loans towards this boomerocracy and live in a shared house in a sh*tty city with sh*tty weather when there are loads of jobs you can do from a laptop lying on a beach in Bali paying no tax at all.

I think we sometimes over estimate how "special" our contry is and what people are prepared to pay for the privilege of living here.

I was making the point that income taxes are ok upto a certain level but the people you class as rich live on returns from assets not just income. These people pay lower rates of tax and should pay more.

Only 10% of earners pay high rate  tax. There is no reason why NI should be a lower rate for these people. And also no reason why pensions and pensioner earnings shouldn't pay some NI

Net migration is 600K and London is doing ok so plenty of people still want to be here.

2 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Only 10% of earners pay high rate  tax. There is no reason why NI should be a lower rate for these people.

Because tax is higher as I said with the green party raise and a student loan if you work an hour someone is then taking more than half your reward. This maybe someone who is far from "rich"

There is no incentive to pay higher rate tax, especially with things like tax credits you don't need to get anywhere near it and on the other side upto £110k a year you can stick £60k a year in your pension so why not?

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

maybe in London...average wage across UK 30-35k.

I know but surely ‘high’ is a way above average? That’s what it means to me 

I certainly don’t look at someone on 50k and this ‘this person needs to pay more tax’ - 100k then maybe 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

no but means that it isn't just earners who pay this...but people with other sources of income etc forever.

So you means pensioners as other sources of income are covered by CGT, Carbon tax and the other taxes they mentioned.

The only people who would pay more are pensioners using it as income tax - are you advocating taxing pensioners - what would Sunak say!!

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

just turned it on...and saw they laughed at his dad was a toolmaker comment.

bored with that and absolutely rightly ... same goes for Sunak and the dad is a  pharmacist  rubbish .... as it goes my Pharmacy recently closed along with 4 others locally , pressure and queues at  the remaining ones is terrible 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

bored with that and absolutely rightly ... same goes for Sunak and the dad is a  pharmacist  rubbish .... as it goes my Pharmacy recently closed along with 4 others locally , pressure and queues at  the remaining ones is terrible 

yes well...they are told to repeat this stuff ad nauseum because most people don't know who or what he is and think he comes with privilege because of the Sir thing. All this comes from advisors.

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Wealth creation should be a means to an end, not an aim in  itself. And certainly should not be "the no. 1 priority" for Labour.

You're going to win, Keir, you can stop pretending to be a Tory.

• Upvote 2