UK Politics

kalifire

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

anyway, are you suggesting because people don't want to buy things then we can't grow the economy no matter what?

A few posts ago I gave you a link showing that 60% of GDP - growth - is from consumer spending. Without consumer spending increasing year on year how do you think the economy can grow?

I am not suggesting anything, I am giving you details from experts who are suggesting things.

Do you think the economy will grow in a sustained way that will support political parties spending plans and if you do then why do you think all these experts and reports of spending trends are wrong?

9 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

A few posts ago I gave you a link showing that 60% of GDP - growth - is from consumer spending. Without consumer spending increasing year on year how do you think the economy can grow?

I am not suggesting anything, I am giving you details from experts who are suggesting things.

Do you think the economy will grow in a sustained way that will support political parties spending plans and if you do then why do you think all these experts and reports of spending trends are wrong?

Boosting growth and productivity in the United Kingdom through investments in the sustainable economy - Grantham Research Institute on climate change and the environment (lse.ac.uk)

4 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Without people spending money there will be no growth. Businesses will not invest unless they see a return on that and so business needs us to spend for them to invest. If 'we' are not going to spend then why invest?

I get they are talking about industrial strategy but that only works if there is reward for the end product.

I hope the growth comes but I just cannot really see where it will come from unless we all buy stuff again. We shall see, hopefully in a good way but I have serious doubts as do lots of economists.

labours promised housebuilding will create a large amount of growth, both with the housebuilding, and buying stuff for the house, and all sort-of for free cos it doesn't need the govt to fund it.

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

How about social housing?

that's built by councils or charities, not govt.

they could losen the council borrowing rules so councils can borrow to do it.
( don't anyone waste their life waiting for their own social housing, its such a remote possibility: it won't happen).

34 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

well he's managed to fool a lot of people...academics, governments etc.

those have been using him for their own purposes, as much as he's used them for his own.

govts like to use him, cos either he was someone else to take the blame or he was fool enough to sign on the dotted line, and pay the money back.

Apart from to stop the UK economy crashing by artificially keeping construction going why does the UK need to build any more houses when the UK has more than enough already to meet the 'needs' over the next 5 or more years?

"Of the 1,507,100 unoccupied dwellings in England in 2021, it is estimated that 89.7% were truly vacant and 10.3% were second homes. There were 120,450 unoccupied dwellings in Wales in 2021, of which 85.4% were truly vacant and 14.6% were second homes."

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/housing/bulletins/numberofvacantandsecondhomesenglandandwales/census2021

and if you don't think this is right go argue with the government and ONS.

29 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Apart from to stop the UK economy crashing by artificially keeping construction going why does the UK need to build any more houses when the UK has more than enough already to meet the 'needs' over the next 5 or more years?

"Of the 1,507,100 unoccupied dwellings in England in 2021, it is estimated that 89.7% were truly vacant and 10.3% were second homes. There were 120,450 unoccupied dwellings in Wales in 2021, of which 85.4% were truly vacant and 14.6% were second homes."

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/housing/bulletins/numberofvacantandsecondhomesenglandandwales/census2021

and if you don't think this is right go argue with the government and ONS.

Yes but is it not complicated by where these vacant homes are and where demand is?

Also, 2nd homes shouldn't be allowed.

23 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yes but is it not complicated by where these vacant homes are and where demand is?

Also, 2nd homes shouldn't be allowed.

The location details are all on there - and places like the West Midlands where there is very high demand is one place where there just happens to be loads of empty homes.

Agree, 2nd homes should not be allowed, especially not for MP's

21 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Green party also pledging to build loads of new social homes, although they all have to come with composter.

Green policy used to be to make all empty homes liveable and lived in before new homes were built. The change in policy was not something I agreed with.

11 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The location details are all on there - and places like the West Midlands where there is very high demand is one place where there just happens to be loads of empty homes.

Agree, 2nd homes should not be allowed, especially not for MP's

people want to live in the West Midlands?

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

this one is with guardian...apparently a whole bunch of seats are really close so result could still be very different...

I wonder if the voter ID scam which was clearly intended to help the Tories, will mean they hold onto some seats they might otherwise have lost.

3 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

same as with unequal money its all about the distribution.