UK Politics

kalifire

41 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Tories completely given up

"Work and pensions sec Mel Stride all but concedes the election, saying it’s ’highly unlikely’ the polls are wrong and that Labour is on course for ‘the largest majority we have ever seen’"

Its part of the lets hold labour to account strategy. The tories want reform voters and the greens/independents want labour vaters. If it happens in the marginals then Labour lose their majority. 

An example is Waveny Valley. A green target but that MRP poll shows Labour winning by a snall amount.In that particular place voting green makes sense

Its a dangerous game to encourage that more genetally. The greens/independants can only get about 10 sests max but the tories can save many more

So nearly bloody time and I’m so happy I don’t think I’m overstating that this will likely be the best week of my life ever . Soon we at least will have some hope for better and I’m taking every bit of that , enjoy the next few days even if the outcome isn’t the perfection you’d ideally want it never will be 

32 minutes ago, lost said:

As the salaries are given yearly does that mean the amount are too? Most people who want higher taxes are willing to pay an extra £1 to £8 a month?

Do you think years of politicians telling them they can have better public services without paying higher taxes might have had an impact?

11 hours ago, lazyred said:

A lot of those seats in the MRP polls have estimated majorities less than 1000.  If 130,000 voters in the right place switch  there is a hung parliament.

I think people here will not be shocked to see me say - Good.

I want  a hung parliament forcing the 'left' and 'progressive' parties to work together rather than one party being dominant again. I live in hope but know it will not happen in my lifetime

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I think people here will not be shocked to see me say - Good.

I want  a hung parliament forcing the 'left' and 'progressive' parties to work together rather than one party being dominant again. I live in hope but know it will not happen in my lifetime

A hung parliament is more likely to be a loose arrangement between Labour and Lib Dems who aren't really the progressives they sometimes pretend to be. There would be a new election in a couple of years.

7 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The later will likely not exist or be like UKIP is now, a meaningless nothing party.

and the next election will be May 2028

Sadly the populist right aren't going anywhere. They are growing across Europe. Our voting system keeps them out but that feeds the resentment. Once a tipping point is reached or if they take over the Tories then our system gives them power.

Their voters are driven by feeling left out and patronised. Reducing regional inequality and improving housing and services plus reducing immigration is the way to beat them.

6 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Sadly the populist right aren't going anywhere. They are growing across Europe. Our voting system keeps them out but that feeds the resentment. Once a tipping point is reached or if they take over the Tories then our system gives them power.

Their voters are driven by feeling left out and patronised. Reducing regional inequality and improving housing and services plus reducing immigration is the way to beat them.

Not saying they are vansihing, just that Reform will be a nothing party - the Tories will take over from them.

...the reducing immigration thing...will it ever be enough for them? Reform have gone for the maximalist net zero thing.

Anyway, immigration is forecast to come down after the spike of the last few years...the small boats thing needs sorting out, not sure how Starmer will resolve that one.

Also maybe weirdly them getting a few seats might show them utterly incapable and full of corruption like this current lot … garage record as an MEP was shameful and he will be the same as a constituency mp . Maybe wishful thinking on my part though 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

...the reducing immigration thing...will it ever be enough for them? Reform have gone for the maximalist net zero thing.

Anyway, immigration is forecast to come down after the spike of the last few years...the small boats thing needs sorting out, not sure how Starmer will resolve that one.

I'd hope the net zero stuff will become less of an issue once we start making the changes. But it will cost a lot to subsidse the transition.

The problem with immigration is we need it for growth but have to reduce it for politics.

43 minutes ago, LJS said:

Do you think years of politicians telling them they can have better public services without paying higher taxes might have had an impact?

We are though, aren't taxes the highest they've been in 80 years? Are public services the best they've been in 80 years?