UK Politics

kalifire

6 hours ago, LJS said:

Never been much of a fan of the "Red Tory" thing myself either - and its not a phrase I can ever remember using  - although I have certainly been critical of the party & its timidity on and off for about 30 years. 

However if the "red Tory" tag were ever to fit, it is now. The Labour party is now a party that will do anything (or nothing) to win, and seems much more intent on persuading Tory voters to change than actually changing the Country for the better.

I cannot remember a less ambitious prospectus for government from any party in the 45 years I have been voting. 

I had my reservation about New Labour in 1997 but stayed up all night watching the results, rejoicing in every Tory defeat & moderately optimistic that the new Government would be radically different to that which we had endured for 18 years.
Tonight, I shall stay up again & raise a glass every time the Tories lose a seat. The best I can say for the incoming government is that they can't possibly be worse than what we have endured for the past 14 years. 

Excited? Sorry. NO.

Labour are trying to build a coalition of voters to win as many seats as possible and that coalition includes people with different views. It’s no different to the SNP trying to build up a coalition of voters to get to 50.1 percent knowing independence cant be won on just left wing votes.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

I checked the bookies yday 65-67 was odds on, now looks like low turnout shortened a lot..

I reckon everybodies just flying blind. But if i had to guess, i’d go slightly lower than usual. The get the tories out keenos offset by a fair number of summer hols + apathy.

1 hour ago, LJS said:

A bit of context would be helpful. It's hard to imagine why a tax promised by a party who hasn't been elected yet & the effects of which are not really known would lead to redundancies.

Sounds like an excuse to me.

We produce accounting and academic software solely for Independent schools. Feedback from the schools indicates they are expecting much fewer pupils in the next academic year so will be spending much less with us (and all the other businesses serving them - most of them small businesses local to the schools). When you have Bursars telling you they're planning on spending up to 50% less next year on your business, you have to make advance plans.

Just now, Ommadawn said:

We produce accounting and academic software solely for Independent schools. Feedback from the schools indicates they are expecting much fewer pupils in the next academic year so will be spending much less with us (and all the other businesses serving them - most of them small businesses local to the schools). When you have Bursars telling you they're planning on spending up to 50% less next year on your business, you have to make advance plans.

2 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

and that is directly linked to the VAT thing...or you made that link?

2 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Pupils not attending the schools are directly linked to the 'VAT thing' as is the knockdown effect.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

ok...firstly that is a tenuous link...and secondly...well, sh*t happens. Should just abolish them.

I really really doubt that it will make the difference those who do not want it in place are suggesting. There will of course be some who pull their kids out but don't forget a huge proportion of those that use them are very well healed and have really good accountants so will soon find ways to claim the VAT back.

Also loads of the kids in these schools are from families that work in the British Council and Embassies over seas and the tax payer funds their fees so they will not leave.

I am unconvinced there is a total connection and the company is likely using it as 'a good excuse' to cut staff.