UK Politics

kalifire

22 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

...and can't find anything about the remaining 9 reform seats the exit poll was predicting - are they going to have to settle for their 4 or are there some more coming up?

Fairly sure most of their target seats have been declared. Might be a couple still to come at most.

As someone who has always thought FPTP was an awful system this election has done nothing to change that view.

Labour, as I write this, have only 1.6% more votes than 2019 and yet have  a huge majority.

66 more seats for 400,000 less votes (Lib Dem vs Reform).

The system is bollocks.

• Upvote 1

It’s a great day for labour and Starmer going from one of the worst elections to one of the best. They will now be judged for what they do in power.

People will point to losing seats because of the stance on Gaza, but you don’t know if they would have lost others with a significantly different stance.

I still think they will feel losing Corbyns seat was worth it for being able to distance themselves nationally. I think Shaheen was overstretching and a misjudgement, however in terms of legislation will make little difference.

38 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

It’s a great day for labour and Starmer going from one of the worst elections to one of the best. They will now be judged for what they do in power.

People will point to losing seats because of the stance on Gaza, but you don’t know if they would have lost others with a significantly different stance.

I still think they will feel losing Corbyns seat was worth it for being able to distance themselves nationally. I think Shaheen was overstretching and a misjudgement, however in terms of legislation will make little difference.

I expect in hindsight they wish Starmer had not said what he did in that LBC interview and had called for a ceasefire earlier. They lost some seats, but also nearly lost quite a few others. 

I wonder what sort of state middle east will be by 2029...Trump, Hezbollah etc.

Edited by steviewevie

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Which shows how volatile electorate is, who knows what we'll end up with next time.

Well, in 2019, I don't think we could've predicted there'd be a pandemic or Russian invasion of Ukraine or inflation crisis or a Prime Minister that couldn't even reach 50 days. Predicting the future is an idiot's business imo.

I mean, in retrospect, you could've predicted Boris Johnson might resign due to scandals, but that's about it.

• Upvote 1

Still not sure I feel about fptp and pr...but there certainly will be calls for change after this because it does seem unfair, but it is the system we have, it does, or it is supposed to give more stable government, and I quite like keeping the explicit racists out as much as possible. But, we do look more european now with our spread of parties...so maybe that's where we'll end up. Can't see Labour bringing in PR any time soon with how this election has gone for them, but Reform/LG/Greens could do a deal with Tories next time round.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Got pro Palestine independents doing well with their very clear stance on Israel/Gaza ...and Reform doing very well their very clear stance against pro palestine protestors and muslims living here in general.

Lovely.

Apparently the reason Starmer's wife hasn't been very visable this election. Labour now actually have the power to ban arm sales to Israel and recognise palestine. It's going to get alot worse.

37 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Which shows how volatile electorate is, who knows what we'll end up with next time.

All the seats I have been looking at, where Tories lost them, if 30% of Reform votes went to the Tories they would have won them. Lib Dems and Labour won instead.

If the Tories move to the right will they win back hose votes but lose centre ground ones?

The UK really really needs Labour to show us in 2-3 years how good they are and then they can give us a tax cut before calling an election to shut the Tories 'tax rising' comments up.

The country needs to collectively show up Reform for what they really are though - Farage is dangerous.

On 4/3/2024 at 3:10 PM, Neil said:

this is green party politics when they're not taking money from tax avoiders., which is claim they'd win a seat in Bristol for every election for 15 years, win no seats and see labour win bigger majorities, repeat at each election and hope it changes, 

for next election, they'll lose the one seat they've had and win no seats.

On 4/3/2024 at 3:23 PM, Neil said:

correct, the greens are bullshitting cos they're going to be wiped out. that polling shows zero green seats.

https://www.bestforbritain.org/spring-2024-polling

On 4/3/2024 at 3:26 PM, Neil said:

trying to win it with bullshit, as i keep saying  there's less chance of them winning this time than there was last time.

can't wait to revisit the claims of a green win on election night as i'm confident  there's no chance, i get around loads of residential streets in Bristol (at a slow enough speed to take things in), there's shrinking indicators of green party support.

On 4/3/2024 at 4:21 PM, Neil said:

they stand no chance in Brighton with Lucas standing down, and there's only bullshit that they might win in Bristol. so looking bad for the greens, like ukip, they won't even get the leader elected.

they targeted Bristol in the last two elections without winning.

Miracles can happen!

IMG_5952.jpeg

• Upvote 2