UK Politics

kalifire

Not all young people are lacking wisdom. Not all old people have wisdom.

All people have experience and many younger people have more experience than older people because they open their worlds to more options and opinions that many older people do - hence 38% of Reform voters tend to be 65 years and older.

I know some will not agree but Greta Thunberg is young and has more wisdom that most older people I have met.

23 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Not all young people are lacking wisdom. Not all old people have wisdom.

All people have experience and many younger people have more experience than older people because they open their worlds to more options and opinions that many older people do - hence 38% of Reform voters tend to be 65 years and older.

I know some will not agree but Greta Thunberg is young and has more wisdom that most older people I have met.

I work in community health and regularly take young students. I am amazed talking to them how inquisitive and tolerant they are. Now I am sure NHS students skew female /middle class and left wing so maybe not a true representative. However I am certain the average 18 year old is significantly wiser than me at 18, so assume they also were at 16.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

However I am certain the average 18 year old is significantly wiser than me at 18, so assume they also were at 16.

But it is a bit weird the law has gone in the other direction?

We have an age when you are considered an adult and a few things split between 16 and 18. 18 drinking, doing p0rn etc.. and as I've pointed out most of the things that used to be 16 are now being moved to 18 i.e. a 16 year old girl is not wise enough to realise she is being groomed by a 50 year old teacher.

Its difficult to make an argument it isn't politically motivated (and I've said I'm not sure the people who think it will benefit them will) without arguing everything should be dropped to 16.

Edited by lost

5 hours ago, lost said:

But it is a bit weird the law has gone in the other direction?

We have an age when you are considered an adult and a few things split between 16 and 18. 18 drinking, doing p0rn etc.. and as I've pointed out most of the things that used to be 16 are now being moved to 18 i.e. a 16 year old girl is not wise enough to realise she is being groomed by a 50 year old teacher.

Its difficult to make an argument it isn't politically motivated (and I've said I'm not sure the people who think it will benefit them will) without arguing everything should be dropped to 16.

They can vote at 16 in Scotland and Wales, right? 

"Sir Tony Blair has urged Sir Keir Starmer to introduce digital identity cards and “avoid any vulnerability on wokeism”.

In an early intervention little more than 24 hours after the Prime Minister entered Downing Street, his predecessor has publicly offered advice on how to approach his time in office.

Sir Tony, whose attempt to roll out ID cards while in power was killed off by the following coalition government, called for a new digital system to help with border control.

Writing in the Sunday Times, he said: “The only game-changer is the full embrace of the potential of technology.”

He added: “We need a plan to control immigration. If we don’t have rules, we get prejudices.

In office, I believed the best solution was a system of identity, so that we know precisely who has a right to be here.

“With, again, technology, we should move as the world is moving to digital ID. If not, new border controls will have to be highly effective.”

The New Labour leader congratulated Sir Keir for “the most remarkable turnaround in recent British electoral history” after the party won a historic victory at the polls on Thursday.

But he also warned that underneath the sweeping electoral gains, there were clear signs that many voters had been seeking to punish the Tories at the ballot box rather than reward Labour.

While Reform UK made inroads into the Conservative base, “it poses a challenge for Labour, too,” the former prime minister said.

Sir Tony suggested that “cultural issues” are at the heart of the challenge.

And he added: “The Government should avoid any vulnerability on ‘wokeism’.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/tony-blair-prime-minister-id-cards-downing-street-new-labour-b2575367.html

anyone else think it would be more appropriate ( & helpful) For Tony to say "well done Keir if you want my advice on anything just give me a bell?"

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, LJS said:

anyone else think it would be more appropriate ( & helpful) For Tony to say "well done Keir if you want my advice on anything just give me a bell?"

Of course it would but Bliar wants it all to be about him again. Hopefully Starmer will do the right thing and ignore the unelected ToryLite

7 hours ago, cellar said:

If you're old enough to have a baby, surely you should be old enough to have a vote?

Should prisoners have a vote? 

Maybe the problem for both is that it's another demographic for the political parties to have to appeal to.

All parties agree that young people matter and are the future so giving 16/17 year olds the vote should have happened years ago. Most are intelligent enough to know what to do voting wise though moist just won't bother.

Prisoners - life term should not get the vote and those convicted of any crimes that are deemed serious, like rape, adbuction and more should not but jailed for nit paying bills should be allowed to vote.

Even during the election campaign, while nobody was watching, the Tories unravelled their own PR stunt of detaining people to go to Rwanda by releasing all bar 2 of them.
I really do wonder if they found nobody willing to actually run the flights for them and even the RAF refused.

"

The two last remaining migrants who are detained and waiting to be sent to Rwanda will be bailed in the coming days, the government has said.

The home secretary's spokesperson also revealed that a further 218 migrants were released on bail from detention centres by the previous government during the election campaign.

They were due to be deported to the east-central African country as part of previous PM Rishi Sunak's policy to tackle illegal immigration."

Thank f**k the shambles have gone - let's hope Starmer can smash the gangs so we can remain Tory free for a long time.

3 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

All parties agree that young people matter and are the future so giving 16/17 year olds the vote should have happened years ago. Most are intelligent enough to know what to do voting wise though moist just won't bother.

Prisoners - life term should not get the vote and those convicted of any crimes that are deemed serious, like rape, adbuction and more should not but jailed for nit paying bills should be allowed to vote.

I wouldn't give prisoners the vote but I hope those not paying bills won't be in prison in the first place.

23 hours ago, lost said:

I don’t argue that it’s politically motivated, so was conservatives brining in voter ID with minimal evidence of fraud. Why should only Torys be allowed to do politically motivated things.

11 hours ago, cellar said:

If you're old enough to have a baby, surely you should be old enough to have a vote?

Should prisoners have a vote? 

Maybe the problem for both is that it's another demographic for the political parties to have to appeal to.

The trouble is people are able to make babies at different ages and I suspect a system based on puberty may be difficult to administer.

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

The trouble is people are able to make babies at different ages and I suspect a system based on puberty may be difficult to administer.

I think the point I was trying to make is that if we say it's within the law for someone to bring life into the world (and our country), leaving the child subject to the laws of that country, then shouldn't they be allowed a say in who makes those laws?